Boos expected to serenade Leafs’ Connolly

millbank

http://www.thestar.c...turn-to-buffalo

from the article:

Perhaps “leaving” isn’t the right word. More like “ushered out” and told “not to let the door hit him on his way out of town.”

When The Buffalo News reported Connolly had signed with Toronto for two years at $9.5 million, this letter in the comments section of the paper’s website was among the common reaction:

“How can he look in the mirror at himself and think he actually deserves that kind of money for his heartless effort all these years. It’s disgusting,” wrote reader Tom Beyer of Orchard Grove, N.Y.

It wasn’t that Connolly was a bad player, or even a bad guy.

Fans in Buffalo had simply soured on the veteran centre, a whipping boy for the team’s failure.

another part of article that may be cause for comment:

Perhaps Connolly can take some solace that he’s no longer the whipping boy in Buffalo. That mantle has landed on Drew Stafford and Derek Roy, who are now taking the blame for an underachieving Sabres squad.

- Lurking most everyday and posting every once in awhile, while I do think Sabres followers did become frustrated with Connolly, his often injured career and arguably his failed realized potential, I don't see a majority going over the top booing Connolly other than perhaps to some degree he now a opponent.

How will you greet Connolly? With indifference or notice based on what success or lack of he has in game, or do you actually have bad feelings toward the man. Can't believe this really , mind you I suppose some do.....

with Leafs , he is coming back to Buffalo having a two goal game and a period of success. Based on his career one can only wonder for how long given his misfortune with injuries. At present Leafs very happy to have him.....

He is probably still nursing a wicked hangover from celebrating a two goal game. He probably followed that up with celebrating Wednesday. Assuming he doesn't sustain a concussion putting on his helmet, I hope to see McNabb or Regehr or Weber knock him into next week.

If I was going, I would boo him. History says he will score a hat trick against the sabres in his return to FNC.

is mccormick in the lineup? cuz if he is, i bet he lights up connolly like a homecoming bonfire. connolly will be out with a concussion/broken arm/groin injury/[insert common hockey injury here], and will be done for the season. the leafs will continue to tail off and fall back to around 12th-15th.

I don't boo players like this anymore. I was at an Islanders/Stars game when Mike Modano was chasing the American Scoring title, and a guy behind me kept shouting "YOU SUCK MODANO!" every time he touched the puck. Nassau Coliseum was empty (as usual) so I'm sure Modano could hear it. The Islanders tied it late and Modano scored the game winner in OT. The guy behind me managed a "YOU SUCK MODANAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW %&$@!!!!!!!!! right as he scored. Mike Modano skated over to the glass and waved right at him as his teamates mobbed him. It was awesome.

The 4,000 Sabres fans in attendance are totally going to boo him.

Now that the Leafs are playing better, I can only imagine how much bigger the invasion will be. It is what is is...in some cases, Leafs fans buying up any unsold tickets at the box office. In other cases, Sabres fans looking to recoup a large part of their season tickets costs.

If they booed Brian Campbell and Danny Briere you can bet they'l boo Connolly.

I have no interest in booing Connolly though. His time has past and I've moved on. I don't have the emotional budget to concern myself with what he's doing with the Leafs.

is mccormick in the lineup? cuz if he is, i bet he lights up connolly like a homecoming bonfire. connolly will be out with a concussion/broken arm/groin injury/[insert common hockey injury here], and will be done for the season. the leafs will continue to tail off and fall back to around 12th-15th.

Why? I never got the impression his teammates didn't like him.

If they booed Brian Campbell and Danny Briere you can bet they'l boo Connolly.

I have no interest in booing Connolly though. His time has past and I've moved on. I don't have the emotional budget to concern myself with what he's doing with the Leafs.

Don't forget that they still boo Ovechkin...for hitting Briere...

Why? I never got the impression his teammates didn't like him.

Don't forget that they still boo Ovechkin...for hitting Briere...

That always makes me laugh. To me I feel nothing for Tim Connolly, to me its like he never existed. So i Wouldnt boo. Also I dont remember many people booing campbell???? am i wrong? I thought i was at a hawks sabres game where the crowd actually cheered for him?

I was at the game when Afinogenov came back to Buffalo while playing for Atlanta. The crowd booed him and then he scored the put away goal when the Sabres got within one goal late in the 3rd period. I bet the F'NC boos Connolly, Then they sit on their hands the rest of the game and Connolly scores at least one goal.

Who cares. The fans who buy those tickets get criticized when they boo our own players for lackluster efforts, and criticized when they boo the opposition players. They get criticized for not making enough noise, and criticized for making the wrong kind of noise. If you don't like the noise they are making, buy a ticket and make your own damn noise.

I think it's funny when fans boo former players years after they left.

You know what's even funnier? MacArthur saying in that article they only boo if they want you back. Funny, I never heard anyone booing MacArthur.

Who cares. The fans who buy those tickets get criticized when they boo our own players for lackluster efforts, and criticized when they boo the opposition players. They get criticized for not making enough noise, and criticized for making the wrong kind of noise. If you don't like the noise they are making, buy a ticket and make your own damn noise.

I think it's funny when fans boo former players years after they left.

You know what's even funnier? MacArthur saying in that article they only boo if they want you back. Funny, I never heard anyone booing MacArthur.

I think the Sabres fans will boo him, but you won't be able to hear it over all the Leafs fans cheering.

So they interviewed Chris "Bulldog" Parker from WGR for that story? I wonder if his answers went more like....

"Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-I don't know-uh-uh-Connolly-uh-like-never-uh-did stuff-uh-you know-uh-I think."

PTR

your obvious anti-media agenda transcends boards.

If i had $100 to blow on a 300 level ticket, I would be there wearing my Connolly jersey and cheering when he scores against us (because, he will).

You would be ridiculed by Sabres fans AND leaf fans. That strong a mancrush isn't healthy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Archived