Boos expected to serenade Leafs’ Connolly

millbank

<p>

<br />

You would be ridiculed by Sabres fans AND leaf fans. That strong a mancrush isn't healthy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.<br />

Oh well. Connolly is a boss. I'm happy to see him having a nice year in Toronto. I'm glad he got out of Buffalo, the fans here are so stupid sometimes. Seriously 90% of the people that I talk to around town (not on this board) hate him because of injuries. Most of them don't know the ins and outs of hockey well enough to develop their own opinion on him, so they follow the popular stance of "oh that guy sucks, he can't stay healthy. what a waste of money!" Many of you on here would agree, but at least most of the more educated posters on here dislike him because of his "soft" style of play rather than solely because of injuries, which I can accept (although I don't agree with). Of course, then there's the posters who apparently have access to the players and their lives 24/7 and know for a fact that TC "wasn't liked in the locker room" or "was too much of a party guy" or "doesn't give full effort" or whatever other bogus reasons for hate I've heard on here.

But anyway, I guess Tim Connolly was just one soft player too many for a predominantly soft team. His money was much better spent on Ville Leino, the team's savior and new top tier goal-scoring center... no, the team's veteran second line center with a knack for scoring goals.... wait...wait... no, the team's third/fourth line winger with possibly the slowest shot-release in the league that is now, *gasp*, injured.

Oh well, unfortunately I don't have enough money to go watch my favorite player take on my favorite team, so I won't be subject to all this ridiculing of me for actually appreciating the only consistent player the Sabres have had since Briere/Drury. One thing is for sure, tomorrow's game will be fun to watch -- Toronto plays a style of hockey that is actually worth watching.

If Connolly is a boss, I'm a ###### God...and if you don't think I get the whole "boss" comment, I'll leave you with some Rick Ross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hT0H8nt_E

idk what Rick Ross had to do with me calling Connolly a boss, but TC is a boss because in ~10 less games he has outscored all but four Sabres.

If Connolly is a boss, I'm a ###### God...and if you don't think I get the whole "boss" comment, I'll leave you with some Rick Ross.

Like a boss, digitally rewired brains....WTF has happened to the level of discourse around here?

I've never been into booing former Sabres, I try really not to think much about them once they are gone from the Sabres, there are exceptions I still like Campbell and Marty Biron is one of my all time favorite players. As far as Connolly goes, it wasn't the injuries that bothered me, but more so the under achieving, which is beginning to look like the norm in Lindy Ruff's system.

As far as Connolly goes, it wasn't the injuries that bothered me, but more so the under achieving, which is beginning to look like the norm in Lindy Ruff's system.

Last season was the only one post-lockout (excluding his two-game season in 2006-07) where he didn't have an as high or higher PPG average in Buffalo than he has now in Toronto, and in each of those seasons, he sustained it for longer than he has so far in Toronto (63, 48, 48, 73 GP vs. just 18 so far in Toronto.) So, either last year was the only year that he underachieved under Ruff, or he's still underachieving in Toronto.

Last season was the only one post-lockout (excluding his two-game season in 2006-07) where he didn't have an as high or higher PPG average in Buffalo than he has now in Toronto, and in each of those seasons, he sustained it for longer than he has so far in Toronto (63, 48, 48, 73 GP vs. just 18 so far in Toronto.) So, either last year was the only year that he underachieved under Ruff, or he's still underachieving in Toronto.

Are you making the argument that connolly was not an underachiever?

Are you making the argument that connolly was not an underachiever?

Mostly I was just pointing out that he really hasn't done anything yet in Toronto that he didn't do here for much longer.

My issues with Connolly have always been more about the organization relying on him as one of only two scoring-line centers for so many seasons than about his play when in the lineup (edit: playoffs aside, of course.) Sure, he was generally soft and last year was prone to giveaways, but no more than several of our other forwards. I was happy with them finally walking away from Timmy (I would rather that they had traded him at the deadline before his last contract), but wish that they had truly addressed the center position with his replacement. I didn't (and still don't) like signing Leino as a center (sign him as a winger and trade another one away, so that there's room to get another center, or don't sign him at all), but that doesn't make letting Timmy go a bad decision.

I actually hope that the fans will not boo Tim, or any other former Sabre for that matter. To me it is just low class. However, fans are fans and I suspect some, or most, will boo him.

Sabres fans were frustrated with Tim ... he was soft, did not seem to put forth a good effort (maybe part of that was he was playing hurt most of the time) and he was overpaid. IMHO professional athletes are all overpaid, but the market will dictate this ... after all Brian Burke, whom I consider a very smart hockey man, is paying Tim more than he was here.

I admit that I too was frustrated with Tim. But then I looked at it a little bit deeper. If management had centres rated higher on the depth chart then perhaps we would not have asked as much of Tim. I really think he would have been a very good (health issues not withstanding) 3rd line center. He was quite good IMHO on the power play and was a very affective penalty killer last season.

I, obviously, will not be in attendance tonight, but if I were I would not boo Tim. I kindly ask that if any on this board are going please tink think twice before booing Tim.

EDIT: It was kindly, I suppose, pointed out by another poster that I had typed tink when I clearly meant think ... therefore, I fixed my original post.

I actually hope that the fans will not boo Tim, or any other former Sabre for that matter. To me it is just low class. However, fans are fans and I suspect some, or most, will boo him.

Sabres fans were frustrated with Tim ... he was soft, did not seem to put forth a good effort (maybe part of that was he was playing hurt most of the time) and he was overpaid. IMHO professional athletes are all overpaid, but the market will dictate this ... after all Brian Burke, whom I consider a very smart hockey man, is paying Tim more than he was here.

I admit that I too was frustrated with Tim. But then I looked at it a little bit deeper. If management had centres rated higher on the depth chart then perhaps we would not have asked as much of Tim. I really think he would have been a very good (health issues not withstanding) 3rd line center. He was quite good IMHO on the power play and was a very affective penalty killer last season.

I, obviously, will not be in attendance tonight, but if I were I would not boo Tim. I kindly ask that if any on this board are going please tink twice before booing Tim.

Tink. Tink, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Personally, I only boo players that do something dirty to a player on my favorite team, or a player that left for ALL of the wrong reasons. Currently, I boo Chara once in a while out of fun, Ovie once in a blue moon, and I would boo Mike Richards for his hit on Connolly last year if I saw him. At the College level, I booed #2 from Canisius (name slips my mind) for a few years with about 9/10ths of the crowd everytime he touched the puck at RIT games due to his role in the brawl a few years back. We'll just say, he wasn't liked in these parts after that incident.

I won't boo Connolly, no reason to really. He was always hurt, and is only one major hit away from being a vegetable. He never slighted any of us fans on purpose, that I know of. I liked him when he was healthy, despised him when he was injured, and am indifferent now that he's left.

<p>

Oh well. Connolly is a boss. I'm happy to see him having a nice year in Toronto. I'm glad he got out of Buffalo, the fans here are so stupid sometimes. Seriously 90% of the people that I talk to around town (not on this board) hate him because of injuries. Most of them don't know the ins and outs of hockey well enough to develop their own opinion on him, so they follow the popular stance of "oh that guy sucks, he can't stay healthy. what a waste of money!" Many of you on here would agree, but at least most of the more educated posters on here dislike him because of his "soft" style of play rather than solely because of injuries, which I can accept (although I don't agree with). Of course, then there's the posters who apparently have access to the players and their lives 24/7 and know for a fact that TC "wasn't liked in the locker room" or "was too much of a party guy" or "doesn't give full effort" or whatever other bogus reasons for hate I've heard on here.

But anyway, I guess Tim Connolly was just one soft player too many for a predominantly soft team. His money was much better spent on Ville Leino, the team's savior and new top tier goal-scoring center... no, the team's veteran second line center with a knack for scoring goals.... wait...wait... no, the team's third/fourth line winger with possibly the slowest shot-release in the league that is now, *gasp*, injured.

Oh well, unfortunately I don't have enough money to go watch my favorite player take on my favorite team, so I won't be subject to all this ridiculing of me for actually appreciating the only consistent player the Sabres have had since Briere/Drury. One thing is for sure, tomorrow's game will be fun to watch -- Toronto plays a style of hockey that is actually worth watching.

I agree with some of this post, but the bolded part is nonsense.

Archived