Philadelphia at Buffalo (12/7/2011, 7:30pm)

Corp000085

I hope we can win this.

The Flyers may be stronger right now, but I never give up hope, although we are playing at home.

Maybe Mille will show us a miracle tonight, maybe our defence try to earn their money or mybe our secondary scoring comes online to support massive scoring of our primary scorers.

We have the potential to run them out of the building. Hopefully it is time to use the potential.

This is a big game as we've got the (seriously) red hot Florida Panthers Friday and Ny Rangers Saturday (which I will be at!). The five after that include a game against Pitt, two against the Leafs who (seriously) have also been good this year and two against the Sens who have come on strong lately. At some point we're going to have to put a string of wins together here.

I cant quote waldos post? But what is wrong with that line?

IMO.It is not built to survive and prosper against physical teams like Boston, Philly, new Rangers, Florida. When Roy is on it you have two non physical guys who do not have any puck possession skills on the boards coupled with a guy (Vanek) who has average skills. The result is they are too easily taken off the puck. Remember that it is the one line that draws the opposing teams shut down line and one pairing, matchup permitted. When Hecht centers it is a little better because of his size. Ideally Adam Kassian Vanek .If you do not have two scoring lines build the best one line team you can until another line comes around. Play that line against the physical teams and go back to the play small line against the less physical teams if you have to satisfy Darcys addiction to watch his play small guys.

Most teams surround their best offensive threat with the players necessary to maximize his potential. Not true here. Our one line would be most other good teams two or three minus Thomas.The longer you keep Vanek in the o zone the better off you will be.The proble the Sabres have is magnified when time and space is taken away in the post season.

With the new divisions the Sabres better start moving toward physical in a hurry.

It is not built to survive and prosper against physical teams like Boston, Philly, new Rangers, Florida. When Roy is on it you have two non physical guys who do not have any puck possession skills on the boards coupled with a guy (Vanek) who has average skills. The result is they are too easily taken off the puck. Remember that it is the one line that draws the opposing teams shut down line and one pairing, matchup permitted. When Hecht centers it is a little better because of his size. Ideally Adam Kassian Vanek .If you do not have two scoring lines build the best one line team you can until another line comes around. Play that line against the physical teams and go back to the play small line against the less physical teams if you have to satisfy Darcys addition to watch his play small guys.

Most teams surround their best offensive threat with the players necessary to maximize his potential. Not true here. Our one line would be most other good teams two or three minus Thomas.The longer you keep Vanek in the o zone the better off you will be.

With the new divisions the Sabres better start moving toward physical in a hurry.

I dont really agree with this.

I dont really agree with this.

Ok.. keep watching the one line get shut down by the big physical teams when the game matters. Rely on your two, and three play small (some are small) wingers and play small offensive defensemen to pull your bacon out? Thats the beauty of it and the Lindy offensive scheme. Everbody gets to have an opinion. Thats mine. Whats your take?

Ok.. keep watching the one line get shut down by the big physical teams when the game matter. Rely on your two, three and four play small (some are small) wingers to pull your bacon out? Thats the beauty of it . Everbody gets to have an opinion. Thats mine. Whats your take?

Well looking at the season it looks like pominville and vanek have put up points each time they have played boston. They were the hottest winger tandem in the league for the first 15 games of the season and now teams are starting to slow them down slightly. They are both in the top 20 in scooring in the NHL and that is with Adam and Roy and Hecht and all sorts of line combinations. I dont think it matters what style of team they play they still do pretty well. Also Vanek is incredibly hard to take off the puck and is way above "average" on the boards.

IMO.It is not built to survive and prosper against physical teams like Boston, Philly, new Rangers, Florida. When Roy is on it you have two non physical guys who do not have any puck possession skills on the boards coupled with a guy (Vanek) who has average skills. The result is they are too easily taken off the puck. Remember that it is the one line that draws the opposing teams shut down line and one pairing, matchup permitted. When Hecht centers it is a little better because of his size. Ideally Adam Kassian Vanek .If you do not have two scoring lines build the best one line team you can until another line comes around. Play that line against the physical teams and go back to the play small line against the less physical teams if you have to satisfy Darcys addition to watch his play small guys.

Most teams surround their best offensive threat with the players necessary to maximize his potential. Not true here. Our one line would be most other good teams two or three minus Thomas.The longer you keep Vanek in the o zone the better off you will be.The proble the Sabres have is magnified when time and space is taken away in the post season.

I'm with Cvanvol. I don't agree with this, especially the bolded part. Vanek is a lot better than average, and is a lot more physical than you give him credit for. I think the line of Vanek - Hecht - Pom is just fine, and they aren't shut down against the physical teams. they scored against Boston in both games, scored against Florida (vanek had two goals in one game), and scored against philly. your logic friend, is flawed. The first line is fine, and I think the wingers NEED to be left together, as they are the only constant on the team right now. There's only been a few games where 1 or both have no recorded a point.

IMO.It is not built to survive and prosper against physical teams like Boston, Philly, new Rangers, Florida. When Roy is on it you have two non physical guys who do not have any puck possession skills on the boards coupled with a guy (Vanek) who has average skills. The result is they are too easily taken off the puck. Remember that it is the one line that draws the opposing teams shut down line and one pairing, matchup permitted. When Hecht centers it is a little better because of his size. Ideally Adam Kassian Vanek .If you do not have two scoring lines build the best one line team you can until another line comes around. Play that line against the physical teams and go back to the play small line against the less physical teams if you have to satisfy Darcys addiction to watch his play small guys.

Well, the Rangers aren't really any more physical than the Sabres, nor are the Panthers.

Having said that, I think your theory about maximizing Vanek's offensive zone time is pretty interesting, as is the idea of an Adam-Vanek-Kassian line. I'd certainly like to see that line for a few shifts.

Something needs to happen with the top 2 lines -- your suggestion is as good as any.

I'm with Cvanvol. I don't agree with this, especially the bolded part. Vanek is a lot better than average, and is a lot more physical than you give him credit for. I think the line of Vanek - Hecht - Pom is just fine, and they aren't shut down against the physical teams. they scored against Boston in both games, scored against Florida (vanek had two goals in one game), and scored against philly. your logic friend, is flawed. The first line is fine, and I think the wingers NEED to be left together, as they are the only constant on the team right now. There's only been a few games where 1 or both have no recorded a point.

Good post. As for Vanek, I can't seem to find his average TOI. It isn't in the stats section on sabres.com. Anyone know how much ice time he's getting in relation to the team because if there is one glaring Lindy issue I see it's that I don't seem to see Thomas on the ice enough, especially on 5 on 5 play. Is this just in my head?

I'll concur. Why not Lindy does enough line juggling that most of the viewers would hardly notice. Give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing lost.

Good post. As for Vanek, I can't seem to find his average TOI. It isn't in the stats section on sabres.com. Anyone know how much ice time he's getting in relation to the team because if there is one glaring Lindy issue I see it's that I don't seem to see Thomas on the ice enough, especially on 5 on 5 play. Is this just in my head?

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/vanekth01/splits/2012/

17:52

and in the last five games he has been increasing towards around 20:00, I think that is about right.... however he did have the lowest TOI for the top 35 point scorers last year which is def a coaching fail IMO.

He gets average 17:51 TOI. Third behind Roy and Pommers, but they play PK.

Its my last class tonight so i will have to stream it arrrg!

I want to see more of Leino-Adam-Kassian and Tyler Ennis. I want to see less of the lazy lackluster efforts we have seen more of this season. We are edging closer and closer to that middle of the season point and we still have not started clicking... time is wasting.

Well, the Rangers aren't really any more physical than the Sabres, nor are the Panthers.

I was looking at hits over the last four seasons in the NHL and found an interesting fact: three of the top 5 (#2, #3, #5) season totals for hits in the whole NHL, as well as #10, were the Rangers' seasons. Now, I'm sure that this has something to do with how hits are determined (e.g., the guy recording hits at MSG tends to count lesser hits more), but it can't all be due to that. Also, I know that hits are not the only measure of physicality, and the not all hits are the same, but again, it can't all be just that they are tapping players lightly all of those times. For reference, out of those 120 seasons (30 teams, 4 seasons each), the Sabres' four seasons were #96, #98, #106, and #113. The only team with a lower average rank was Atlanta.

As a related side note: I found absolutely no evidence that points in a season is related to hits (for stats people, depending on the model that I tried, p-values were above 0.50, much less 0.05, and estimated effects were marginally positive or negative.) In fact, the closest thing to a relationship that I found was that teams with very high or very low hits tended to be middle of the pack teams; you rarely found big hitters or low hitters at the top or the bottom. Teams in the middle for hits, however, ranged from the best to the worst. Not sure what all that really means, but I found it interesting.

Archived