Philadelphia at Buffalo (12/7/2011, 7:30pm)

Corp000085

Good post. As for Vanek, I can't seem to find his average TOI. It isn't in the stats section on sabres.com. Anyone know how much ice time he's getting in relation to the team because if there is one glaring Lindy issue I see it's that I don't seem to see Thomas on the ice enough, especially on 5 on 5 play. Is this just in my head?

ESPN's NHL page has TOI stats, and, surprisingly, cbs sportsline's does as well.

I was looking at hits over the last four seasons in the NHL and found an interesting fact: three of the top 5 (#2, #3, #5) season totals for hits in the whole NHL, as well as #10, were the Rangers' seasons. Now, I'm sure that this has something to do with how hits are determined (e.g., the guy recording hits at MSG tends to count lesser hits more), but it can't all be due to that. Also, I no that hits are not the only measure of physicality, and the not all hits are the same, but again, it can't all be just that they are tapping players lightly all of those times. For reference, out of those 120 seasons (30 teams, 4 seasons each), the Sabres' four seasons were #96, #98, #106, and #113. The only team with a lower average rank was Atlanta.

As a related side note: I found absolutely no evidence that points in a season is related to hits (for stats people, depending on the model that I tried, p-values were above 0.50, much less 0.05, and estimated effects were marginally positive or negative.) In fact, the closest thing to a relationship that I found was that teams with very high or very low hits tended to be middle of the pack teams; you rarely found big hitters or low hitters at the top or the bottom. Teams in the middle for hits, however, ranged from the best to the worst. Not sure what all that really means, but I found it interesting.

Good stuff. thanks.

Good post. As for Vanek, I can't seem to find his average TOI. It isn't in the stats section on sabres.com. Anyone know how much ice time he's getting in relation to the team because if there is one glaring Lindy issue I see it's that I don't seem to see Thomas on the ice enough, especially on 5 on 5 play. Is this just in my head?

What does TOI have to do with this argument?????? Maybe if we look at time spent in the offensive zone by line 5x5 it would have some bearing? Maybe if we added shots on goal and scoring chances you would see the argument more clearly. The two most important stats would be Vaneks shots on goal and more importantly scoring chances 5x5.

Well, the Rangers aren't really any more physical than the Sabres, nor are the Panthers.

Having said that, I think your theory about maximizing Vanek's offensive zone time is pretty interesting, as is the idea of an Adam-Vanek-Kassian line. I'd certainly like to see that line for a few shifts.

Something needs to happen with the top 2 lines -- your suggestion is as good as any.

Watch the Rangers against the Sabres . I think you will find the team has changed a lot form last year. It was always the Sabres speed that gave them problems. I think that will be less of a factor for the Rangers this year with their defensive scheme.

Buffalo absolutely must turn this home record around. It starts tonight. I suggest a 1,3,1 to send Philly into a tissy..

These losses at home are going to hurt them down the stretch when teams are fighting for their playoff lives, and the Sabres finish the season with 14 out of 21 games on the road.

What does TOI have to do with this argument?????? Maybe if we look at time spent in the offensive zone by line 5x5 it would have some bearing? Maybe if we added shots on goal and scoring chances you would see the argument more clearly.

I should have been more clear, it doesn't have anything to do with that argument. I had branched off onto another topic. Thanks to everyone who posted the information, thanks for that info as well nfree. If I was at home I would have had more time to look up different sites but somehow I never have enough time at work....except to check out this website haha.

Looks like it is just me and Vanek is getting the ice time. Maybe there are shifts I just don't notice.

These losses at home are going to hurt them down the stretch when teams are fighting for their playoff lives, and the Sabres finish the season with 14 out of 21 games on the road.

On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing as the team has been one of the best in the league on the road.

On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing as the team has been one of the best in the league on the road.

At the risk of repeating myself, everyone plays harder down the stretch, and the road points are probably going to be a lot tougher to come by in March & April.

I should have been more clear, it doesn't have anything to do with that argument. I had branched off onto another topic. Thanks to everyone who posted the information, thanks for that info as well nfree. If I was at home I would have had more time to look up different sites but somehow I never have enough time at work....except to check out this website haha.

Looks like it is just me and Vanek is getting the ice time. Maybe there are shifts I just don't notice.

Yes , he is getting more ice time now than Lindy has given him in most years (new ownership and Lindy does not have to show them how much he hated the deal) . The problem is staying in the offensive zone 5x5 against the other teams best defense, with wingers and centers who are not great on the boards or physical, and getting as many scoring , playmaking chances and touches as possible for your best offensive threat. Who has played now for four years without a playmaking physical center. Adam with that line was just a peek at what a playmaking physical center means. Now find one that is better than a rookie who plays with his head down,and passes / sees the ice like a rookie.

Throw more net juice into the mix. Adam Vanek , Kassian or something similar that permits you to stay in the zone against a shutdown line.

For the other posters. I like Vanek but he goes down under pressure more often than a hooker on a Navy payday. He needs to go to Jagr school. I am sorry but right now the book says he is just average

Watch the Rangers against the Sabres . I think you will find the team has changed a lot form last year. It was always the Sabres speed that gave them problems. I think that will be less of a factor for the Rangers this year with their defensive scheme.

Well, I live in NYC and watch the Rangers a good bit. I agree that their speed has improved, especially on D. I also think that over the past few years the Rangers have improved their fundamentals (i.e. team defense, toughness, forechecking) as Torts' system has been inculcated into their homegrown players. I just don't think of them as a physical team in the same vein as the Bruins or Flyers.

Well, I live in NYC and watch the Rangers a good bit. I agree that their speed has improved, especially on D. I also think that over the past few years the Rangers have improved their fundamentals (i.e. team defense, toughness, forechecking) as Torts' system has been inculcated into their homegrown players. I just don't think of them as a physical team in the same vein as the Bruins or Flyers.

I agree completely.. They are not physical in that sence but they will take you off the puck in the zone quickly if you do not have a physical presence on the puck.Hard point to make huh? You get it .

Yes , he is getting more ice time now than Lindy has given him in most years (new ownership and Lindy does not have to show them how much he hated the deal) . The problem is staying in the offensive zone 5x5 against the other teams best defense, with wingers and centers who are not great on the boards or physical, and getting as many scoring , playmaking chances and touches as possible for your best offensive threat. Who has played now for four years without a playmaking physical center. Adam with that line was just a peek at what a playmaking physical center means. Now find one that is better than a rookie who plays with his head down,and passes / sees the ice like a rookie.

Throw more net juice into the mix. Adam Vanek , Kassian or something similar that permits you to stay in the zone against a shutdown line.

For the other posters. I like Vanek but he goes down under pressure more often than a hooker on a Navy payday. He needs to go to Jagr school. I am sorry but right now the book says he is just average

I understand peoples' frustration with the guy, but he is not just average. He's not a dynamic player like jagr or ovechkin, so lets not compare.

I understand what your going with but unfortunately I don't think that Centerman we need to play tough and play the first line is on our roster. Goes back to our need at that position. Unfortunately there are very few guys that fit this bill in next year's free agency list. Darcy is going to have to earn his keep and pull of a deal. We are pretty set on D in the farm right now so moving one of them might be the answer.

Sorry, I know this is a GDT, didn't mean to get too far off topic.

Wondering what team I will see tonight. The patient road team or the bumbling home team.

Lost first bet already taking Philly over the Sabres last time so will be skipping this bet. I really would like to see a solid north south finish your check take no shite type of game.

Let's go Bflo time to start a roll.

Let's beat em up, then beat them down.

VS game so I'm glad I can watch it on TV.

Ohhh I never like the way they play when the game is on VS... seems nat'l televised games and the boys can't play... hope tonite changes my opinion....

Stafford are you out there? Time to step it up

He's been maybe the biggest disappointment of the year so far. I think he's hustling but it seems like he's completely lost his mental sharpness in being able to finish opportunities as well as decision-making.

Ryan Miller is 3-1 with a 1.71 GAA in games immediately after his fashion show.

He has gone on streaks of:

6-2-1

5-0-1

3-3

3-0

after each fashion show.

Millsie feels the endorphin rush of the catwalk!

You are amazing. Where do you come up with this stuff.

He's been maybe the biggest disappointment of the year so far. I think he's hustling but it seems like he's completely lost his mental sharpness in being able to finish opportunities as well as decision-making.

Oh please don't take that away from Ville Leino. He's worked so hard to earn that status.

Archived