Sidney Crosby to return Monday

millbank

Exactly. Concussions happen all the time. Some people are only out a week or a few games while some people are out way longer. The hockey world didn't stop turning for Nummimen's heart problems or Connolly's concussion issues, so I'll be damned if I'm going to treat Crosby like he deserves any better than one of our own guys. He's not God's gift to hockey.

But that's sort of my point; I don't care if it's Sidney Crosby, Teppo Numminen, or whomever, I'm going to cheer a guy coming back from any serious injury, regardless of the team for which he plays (unless it's Chris Neil or Milan Lucic... F those guys). Like others here have stated, I'd really only stand if multiple people started standing around me. I'd more likely cheer either when his name is announced as a starting forward or whenever he first steps onto the ice for the game.

But that's sort of my point; I don't care if it's Sidney Crosby, Teppo Numminen, or whomever, I'm going to cheer a guy coming back from any serious injury, regardless of the team for which he plays (unless it's Chris Neil or Milan Lucic... F those guys). Like others here have stated, I'd really only stand if multiple people started standing around me. I'd more likely cheer either when his name is announced as a starting forward or whenever he first steps onto the ice for the game.

If I'm there for the injury, I'll applaud when the guy gets wheeled off on the stretcher but I'm not applauding the enemy just because he's healthy enough to return after a long absence and it happens to be against my team. I'll applaud my own guys and the other team's fans can applaud their guys. I guess it all depends on the severity of the injury though and to me, Crosby's injury doesn't qualify in the way that a broken neck or sliced artery would. There have been plenty of people who have taken prolonged periods to recover from concussions and I've never felt the need to applaud for them when they weren't on my team, so I don't feel the need to treat Crosby any different just because he's been deemed hockey royalty by all the talking heads in the media.

I had to turn the game off. Every time he touched the puck, I found myself involuntarily yearning for a violent collision.

I must be a terrible person.

The Crosby Lovefest continues without the blink of an eye. The announcers on Versus are analyzing every move by Sid. I don't think they've mentioned the Isles even once.

A pretty sweet goal and a PP assist for Crosby in his first period back.

Crosby haters are ridiculous. The NHL is better with him in the picture, plain and simple.

He's a very entertaining and skillful player. Please count me among those who do not think the NHL is better, or worse, for him. He is a whiner; he gets crappy calls; he completely lacks the charisma necessary to really help the league in terms of marketing. He's just another player, albeit a very, very good one; he is not Gretzky or Jordan or Montana or anything approaching them.

He's a very entertaining and skillful player. Please count me among those who do not think the NHL is better, or worse, for him. He is a whiner; he gets crappy calls; he completely lacks the charisma necessary to really help the league in terms of marketing. He's just another player, albeit a very, very good one; he is not Gretzky or Jordan or Montana or anything approaching them.

Excellent point. I HATE when pro leagues try to manufacture that transcendent image for a player. It's so contrived and I don't blame Crosby for that. I can understand why the NHL, in their dire need for anyone to hang their marketing hat on, would do that but Crosby just isn't that player as you pointed out.

Gretzky, Jordan, and Montana all mastered their games before taking on that mantel of league poster boy.

GO SABRES!!!

Point well taken. I think the league is better for his presence, even if it's not a tremendous difference.

Do you think there's a current NHL player who's capable of filling that "face of the league" niche?

He's not just another player in any respect.

Maybe he's not Gretzky....but I don't think its a stretch to mention Yzerman in the same sentence.

Point well taken. I think the league is better for his presence, even if it's not a tremendous difference.

Do you think there's a current NHL player who's capable of filling that "face of the league" niche?

At present, I don't think so. And that's ok. Once-in-a-lifetime talents should be just that.

He's not just another player in any respect.

Maybe he's not Gretzky....but I don't think its a stretch to mention Yzerman in the same sentence.

It is not a stretch at all. (And I did say that he was a "very, very good" player.) In fact, they're very similar, because...

The kid has the stats, hardware and ring. He doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. He is the premier player in the NHL.

And a hell of a team behind him. He didn't carry anyone to a championship (and didn't ride along, either). He was a good part of a good team. He isn't the premier player in the NHL any more than 2010 Miller, 2009 Ovechkin or your beloved 2009 Kovy; he's on the right team, is all.

greatness far to quickly bestowed on players these days. Sid a excellent player who has played great, but in my view in order to be regarded amongst the greats he must do it for a extended period of time. Sid only 24 years old, with his history of concussions ,evidence available evidence of similar others suggests he will not get opportunity to realize his potential. I wonder though when all is said and done what Sids most noteworthy contribution to the game will be that his misfortune and injury did lead to a change in thinking about head shots and thus greater player safety at all levels....

And a hell of a team behind him. He didn't carry anyone to a championship (and didn't ride along, either). He was a good part of a good team. He isn't the premier player in the NHL any more than 2010 Miller, 2009 Ovechkin or your beloved 2009 Kovy; he's on the right team, is all.

I disagree. Crosby blows all of them out of the water as far as pure skill goes. He does have a hell of a team backing him up, but if we're talking the BEST player in the NHL, sorry, but Ovechkin and Kovalchuk fall way short, despite their goal scoring touch.

It's a little hard to compare Miller to Crosby, but until Miller is year in and year out the best goalie in the league, then he falls short as well.

In 05-06 it was a toss up... in 06-07, I was almost leaning towards Ovechkin as far as who was the better player. But Crosby grew up and has been without a shadow of a doubt the best player in the world ever since. It's really a shame he got hurt last year, because that was going to be a legendary season.

At present, I don't think so. And that's ok. Once-in-a-lifetime talents should be just that.

It is not a stretch at all. (And I did say that he was a "very, very good" player.) In fact, they're very similar, because...

This is the fanboy in you talking. The only player you mentioned that deserves to mentioned with Crosby is Ovechkin. Miller was a one year wonder and Kovi was a great goal scorer playing in a non-hockey market most of his career.

Crosby is the face of the NHL, and he should be. He is a dominant talent that can score and isn't afraid to throw a hit and block a shot now and then. Crosby is well on his way to becoming one of the all-time greats in the sport.

Crosby is the face of the NHL, and he should be. He is a dominant talent that can score and isn't afraid to throw a hit and block a shot now and then. Crosby is well on his way to becoming one of the all-time greats in the sport.

Agreed. Life is full of shades of gray. This ain't one of them. Like 'em or hate'em but don't deny 'em that he is among the greatest to have EVER played.

Hey millbank thanks for a very interesting thread.

This turned into quite the social experiment. The original post just asked a simple question about standing and clapping. It never said "a standing ovation" or "cheer an enemy" but a lot people read these types of things into it.

I get it I really do. I live in the Pitt's(berg). I hate the fact that all the talking heads have made Sid into this larger than life icon. The fact they talk about him more than the other team or his own for that matter. That stuff drives me to dislike him just because they are constantly pushing his face, his name, talking about what he had for breakfast. Very sickening.

Good, bad or indifferent, what I do understand is that they have choose/made him the face of the NHL. I also know that he is a very good hockey player and someone that was cast with responsibility for captaining a team at an very young age while standing in the shadow of the great Mario. He has done a fantatstic job of that for Pittsburgh. A bit of a whiner to be sure but still a great captain and talent. He actually makes a difference and changes games for his team on a regular basis.

Love him or hate him. I love hockey very much and recognize that he is very good for hockey even though I am sickened by this idol worship they put on him. Who knows what his legacy will be. Maybe he gets the NHL to look at head injury's differently, maybe opens the game style to favor skilled players. I dunno, I do know I would take him on the Sabres team in a heartbeat.

For something thats good for the game of Hockey or people I will always stand with you and clap. Even though your a Hooser. ;)

I stood and clapped for Messier's last game at the MSG. It was a pretty intense moment that I'll never forget. I'm not sure this is the same thing, though. A player, albeit a great one, returning to the ice after an extended injury, who potentially has many years left in the NHL,.. I don't know, it just seems like more of a Pittsburgh story than a league wide one.

Oh, alright, I'll stand and clap.

This turned into quite the social experiment. The original post just asked a simple question about standing and clapping. It never said "a standing ovation" or "cheer an enemy" but a lot people read these types of things into it.

A standing ovation is standing and clapping, is it not?

I stood and clapped for Messier's last game at the MSG. It was a pretty intense moment that I'll never forget. I'm not sure this is the same thing, though. A player, albeit a great one, returning to the ice after an extended injury, who potentially has many years left in the NHL,.. I don't know, it just seems like more of a Pittsburgh story than a league wide one.

Oh, alright, I'll stand and clap.

One of the great players last game, Yeah, I think its deserving of standing and applauding.

A player returning after a long time off healing from a concussion, fine if he is a player on your own team.

Crosby maybe the best player in the game today, but no one is bigger then the game itself, even Gretzky. The game continues to go on weither they are on the ice or not.

you are most appreciated... :) . Do wonder at times in reading amongst posts ect, how many would follow NHL or NFL for that matter if Buffalo did not have a team. I do think for many it is the Buffalo sense of connection that is most important

This not to be a wise comment, in many ways I follow my local team the Stratford Cullitons and care more.

I get it I really do. I live in the Pitt's(berg). I hate the fact that all the talking heads have made Sid into this larger than life icon. The fact they talk about him more than the other team or his own for that matter. That stuff drives me to dislike him just because they are constantly pushing his face, his name, talking about what he had for breakfast. Very sickening.

Good, bad or indifferent, what I do understand is that they have choose/made him the face of the NHL. I also know that he is a very good hockey player and someone that was cast with responsibility for captaining a team at an very young age while standing in the shadow of the great Mario. He has done a fantatstic job of that for Pittsburgh. A bit of a whiner to be sure but still a great captain and talent. He actually makes a difference and changes games for his team on a regular basis.

Love him or hate him. I love hockey very much and recognize that he is very good for hockey even though I am sickened by this idol worship they put on him. Who knows what his legacy will be. Maybe he gets the NHL to look at head injury's differently, maybe opens the game style to favor skilled players. I dunno, I do know I would take him on the Sabres team in a heartbeat.

For something thats good for the game of Hockey or people I will always stand with you and clap. Even though your a Hooser. ;)

Agreed. Life is full of shades of gray. This ain't one of them. Like 'em or hate'em but don't deny 'em that he is among the greatest to have EVER played.

This is exactly what aggravates me. How can we say he's among the greatest to have ever played at this relatively young stage of his career? The history of the NHL is a long one.

A standing ovation is standing and clapping, is it not?

And ovulating. I think. Maybe I have it wrong.

This is exactly what aggravates me. How can we say he's among the greatest to have ever played at this relatively young stage of his career? The history of the NHL is a long one.

And ovulating. I think. Maybe I have it wrong.

Maybe chz could shed some light on the subject ...

Also, saw a question in one of the threads concerning chz's ink status ... still waiting for an answer ... perhaps I should address that question to Inkman?????

:wub:

Archived