Sidney Crosby to return Monday

millbank

Did everyone stand up and cheer each time Connolly came back from a concussion? Will you give a standing ovation for Miller when he comes back, or James reimer of the Leafs?

Is it great that Crosby is back, sure, if I am a Pens fan I am happy. Otherwise i don't get this "Having him play is great for the game" crap. He is a really good pro hockey player. The games are still played if he is on or off the ice, the world continues to turn, and unless he is on my team (or my team is playing against him) I don't care if he is playing or not.

I stand I cheer no other response would do IMHO.

For the people that say what took so long.

Following that hit, the second punishing one for Crosby in a span of five days, he was diagnosed with a concussion that affects the part of the brain that controls a person's stability and movement. He experienced months of post-concussion symptoms that included sensitivity to light and loud noises, headaches and nausea, which was diagnosed Jan. 6 and sidelined him for the rest of last season and the playoffs till now.

Since I live in Pittsburgh this saga got regular play. What i did learn given all the new information about concussions is that they can differ depending on which part of the brain has the impact. In Sids case they said it effected his ability to execute the precise hand, eye, depth and motion perception and coordination that made him the player he is. They or he were unwilling to put him out in a situation where his timing could be off and he could re-injure himself. Who am I to question that.

What I can question is not how long he should have been out but rather how many other players have never been cared for appropriately and kept out long enough to really recover from something like this.

He's a good player, I'm glad he's back because no one's career should end like that. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to Versus and NHL network sounding like this for the next 6 months:

Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY! Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY! Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY! Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY! Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY! Sidney Crosby! Sidney CROSBY! He's Back! Sidney Crosby? Sid the Kid! Crosby! Sidney Sidney Crosby! Crosby? What do you think of Sidney Crosby! Sidney Crosby in the All-Star Game! Sidney Sidney Sidney! Crosby? Crosby! SIDNEY CROSBY!

Did everyone stand up and cheer each time Connolly came back from a concussion? Will you give a standing ovation for Miller when he comes back, or James reimer of the Leafs?

Is it great that Crosby is back, sure, if I am a Pens fan I am happy. Otherwise i don't get this "Having him play is great for the game" crap. He is a really good pro hockey player. The games are still played if he is on or off the ice, the world continues to turn, and unless he is on my team (or my team is playing against him) I don't care if he is playing or not.

I agree with this. Crosby isn't bigger than the game and he shouldn't get any preferential treatment from the league or fans in general. I haven't missed seeing him play because he plays for the enemy and I certainly haven't missed hearing pundits talk about him constantly on Versus or the NHL network. I'd cheer for the "stretcher thumbs up" for him or any other player if I witness the injury live, but I wouldn't give him a welcome back applause because I wouldn't do it for another else who was wearing opposing colors.

but I wouldn't give him a welcome back applause because I wouldn't do it for another else who was wearing opposing colors.

It would take a very unusual circumstnace for me to stand and applaud another teams' player coming back from injury. Crosby is an elite talent, and great for the league, but his circumstance isn't unusual enough for me to feel compelled to give a standing ovation. Maybe a Zednick or Malarchuck type injury and comeback might get me to stand, but not a concussion.

It would take a very unusual circumstnace for me to stand and applaud another teams' player coming back from injury. Crosby is an elite talent, and great for the league, but his circumstance isn't unusual enough for me to feel compelled to give a standing ovation. Maybe a Zednick or Malarchuck type injury and comeback might get me to stand, but not a concussion.

And yet concussions take years off of peoples' lives while most other types of injuries, even ones so morbid as severing carotid arteries, heal. Concussions seem banal because they occur so frequently, but we're seeing athletes (think offensive linemen) reduced to dementia cases in their 50s because of brain trauma.

Crosby probably should have walked away from the game. He may still be too young to realize that his life is more important than his career.

If you claim that you have to stand and cheer when Crosby comes back ask yourself this question... Would you stand up and Cheer if Savard returns? Same concept different team. I would not stand if crosby played the sabres tonight and returned to the lineup because he does not play for my team. I don't expect the bruins to cheer when Miller returns so... glad hes back but I have not missed him.

question was stated would you , with no judgement or admonition either way. Regarding Boston fans standing for Miller, you perhaps speak to hastily on that, Boston fans a unique group , they very well at least a substantial many very well stand to great a player as Miller as they know him as a most important player in the NHL and in terms of U.S.A bias a very excellent Goal tender. The thrust of my question more was one of folks rising above their own bias and recognizing a individual who has had a long period of time away from game, Crosby suffering effect from last years winter classic.

Yes Crosby returns tonight, and I suppose some will even applaud and say good that they cannot stand the guy ect. , he a enemy, but the fuse does burn down, he as evidence has shown from past players, on a short one, his career will not be the same again, he very well may have some short term success , but it will end to soon like the many before him. Perhaps I go to far but , .....what the hell... years from now we will read of a Sidney Crosby having difficulties , his quality of life at best very poor and likely not just a career but life ended to soon. Sometime folks we need rise above our biases and start to care about each other in human terms instead of hero's and villains, they game they play a world wide one, not just narrow regional one, a Canadian or American , but Worldly, each team a composite of this guys playing together as one, in a league as one. Looking out over my cornflakes this morning, in ponder and yes pray, me a 71 year old guy who hears how much better and more intelligent everyone is these days that just maybe we start to learn to care about each other as a people each of us living in a world.

(haven't been drinking honest, kill me if you wish.... :blush:

Resent it , hate whatever , the issue and he a most important one , in so many terms.

If you claim that you have to stand and cheer when Crosby comes back ask yourself this question... Would you stand up and Cheer if Savard returns? Same concept different team. I would not stand if crosby played the sabres tonight and returned to the lineup because he does not play for my team. I don't expect the bruins to cheer when Miller returns so... glad hes back but I have not missed him.

The point is what we thought we knew about brain injuries might have been wrong, and that maybe like anyone else who has had concussions, if the early ones were better handled maybe the later ones aren't so bad. Hating on Crosby and the Pens medical staff for holding him out so long seems crazy. Maybe they've been trying to develop better treatments? Maybe they're trying to change the scope of concussion knowledge? Isn't that something worth studying? Isn't using Crosby for this purpose a good idea?

Respect a guy who has tried to put his health before his career. If there's anyone that could be the face of concussion treatment maybe it's him.

Where am I hating on anybody?

If anything Crosby is putting his career ahead of his health. Since concussions and head injuries are the soup de jour, and people want to say we don't understand them...ok...I'll give you that. But if one person is fine after 3 weeks, and one person is still suffering nearly a year later, maybe it is time to say to yourself, "for whatever reason, my body doesn't handle headshots well. I can assume I will be at risk every night and eventually receive another jaring shot. Is it really worth it for the best interests of me and my family to go back and play at all?"

You can't have it both ways. You can't play the "mysterious head injury game", then at the same time want to make a hero out of a guy who wants to keep playing even though it has been established he doesn't heal from a head injury very well.

There are plenty of other medical realms where everyone reacts in different ways. Autoimmune disorders, hormones, tissue regeneration. It is not normal for someone to have issues with head injuries out to a year. If you research the issue, after a few months, many medical professionals start looking at an individual's psychological makeup as to why they are still having issues instead of physical.

So.....will I give a standing ovation?.....no. Will I appreciate that one of the biggest names in the game who seems to handle himself with class is back in action?.....yes

As current research is showing, getting a concussion is a lot more severe than "getting your bell rung". Worse yet is suffering a second concussion before the brain is entirely healed from the first one. The human brain, for all its power and knowledge, is a very fragile organ. That is why it is encased in the skull, so damage from direct blows (like banging your head on an open cupboard door) is minimized. However, when subjected to higher velocity hits, the brain can crash up against the inside of the skull (as its internal attachments are also quite fragile). This results in bleeding or perhaps "only" swelling. Oxygenated blood can be cut off to portions of the brain that have fairly important functions, like memory, cognition and speed of processing information.

Allowing time for the brain's circulatory system to recover is essential, as well as for the brain to "move" certain processes to uninjured areas. (That is why people can recover from even fairly serious strokes.) A second episode of brain injury during this recovery time can prolong recovery at the least and in the worst-case scenario, it can be fatal.

I agree that Sidney Crosby and indeed all professional athletes are paid very well for risking their health on the field of competition. I also agree that our soldiers and sailors put their very lives on the line for substantially less compensation and (indeed) far less glory or often even a proper "Thank you". However, I don't think that we are making sports figures like Crosby into "tragic heroes". They know the risks of playing a contact sport like hockey and are prepared to accept those risks, just as members of our armed forces have accepted the risks of defending our country. It is true that Sidney Crosby could, if he wanted to, retire today with a sizable bank account and never look back. (In fact, he probably should knowing how long it took to recover from this injury.) Our armed forces have also made a choice; to defend their country, putting their health and indeed their very lives on the line. They do not do it for the money, that is certain, and not for trophies or championship rings. Their sacrifice is an unselfish one and in my mind is greater than any athlete in any sport.

It is unfortunate that we build our sports figures into such heroes when real heroism often goes unrewarded and even unnoticed. But, although the sacrifice of a hockey player returning from a concussion may not be comparable to that of a member of the armed forces, it is a sacrifice nonetheless. I believe Crosby should still be applauded for having the desire to return to the sport that took away a part of himself.

Very well said.

I have said I would applaud. I just tend to save standing ovations for some things remarkable. I do not find this scenario remarkable other than the "name" Crosby.

Great point.

I didn't even think about those guys.....yes!....men's lives were in question.

question was stated would you , with no judgement or admonition either way. Regarding Boston fans standing for Miller, you perhaps speak to hastily on that, Boston fans a unique group , they very well at least a substantial many very well stand to great a player as Miller as they know him as a most important player in the NHL and in terms of U.S.A bias a very excellent Goal tender. The thrust of my question more was one of folks rising above their own bias and recognizing a individual who has had a long period of time away from game, Crosby suffering effect from last years winter classic.

Yes Crosby returns tonight, and I suppose some will even applaud and say good that they cannot stand the guy ect. , he a enemy, but the fuse does burn down, he as evidence has shown from past players, on a short one, his career will not be the same again, he very well may have some short term success , but it will end to soon like the many before him. Perhaps I go to far but , .....what the hell... years from now we will read of a Sidney Crosby having difficulties , his quality of life at best very poor and likely not just a career but life ended to soon. Sometime folks we need rise above our biases and start to care about each other in human terms instead of hero's and villains, they game they play a world wide one, not just narrow regional one, a Canadian or American , but Worldly, each team a composite of this guys playing together as one, in a league as one. Looking out over my cornflakes this morning, in ponder and yes pray, me a 71 year old guy who hears how much better and more intelligent everyone is these days that just maybe we start to learn to care about each other as a people each of us living in a world.

Resent it , hate whatever , the issue and he a most important one , in so many terms.

Millbank, you are a class dude so I won't rag on you.....but why did you ask the question then?

I don't care that Crosby is on another team. I would be more apt to stand for a Sabre, only because I usually stand and cheer at the open of any game anyway.

I think people have a failed sense of logic here. If him coming back is heroic enough to stand for, then he probably shouldn't be back because he is bound to get his head railed again.

And if coming back from a concussion is heroic, why not an ACL, or broken arm? Like I said....Derek Roy busted his hump for months in the gym in order to get back to a playable level. I find that drive and desire more heroic than a bunch of doctors and lawyers holding a guy out for a year.

Hell....any symptoms listed......I went to class, work, and graduated from college with...feeling those same symptoms every day from being hungover. But guess what, self-imposed or not, I got up, and got the job done.

Who will stand for me? :D

Millbank, you are a class dude so I won't rag on you.....but why did you ask the question then?

I don't care that Crosby is on another team. I would be more apt to stand for a Sabre, only because I usually stand and cheer at the open of any game anyway.

I think people have a failed sense of logic here. If him coming back is heroic enough to stand for, then he probably shouldn't be back because he is bound to get his head railed again.

And if coming back from a concussion is heroic, why not an ACL, or broken arm? Like I said....Derek Roy busted his hump for months in the gym in order to get back to a playable level. I find that drive and desire more heroic than a bunch of doctors and lawyers holding a guy out for a year.

Hell....any symptoms listed......I went to class, work, and graduated from college with...feeling those same symptoms every day from being hungover. But guess what, self-imposed or not, I got up, and got the job done.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I just did ...

Would sidney crosby care if I had a concussion from a car accident? If Savard comes back would you stand up and cheer for him? It has nothing to do with rising above biases. Many players return from head injuries and we don't ever have this discussion. I am not going to cheer just because it is crosby.

I asked the question to get your thoughts , which to my great appreciation thus far I have. All must and have of course every right to their own personal thoughts and convictions. As I stated , evidence and documentation , case by case profiles suggests very well Crosby on a very short fuse. Does this make his return consequential , you of course are not alone in finding it of little import over others. Frankly your point of us standing and applauding, encouraging those doing their best to overcome various forms of adversity , no matter the person, we would be a better culture of people if we did so. Hell I have sat behind a little old lady in a clothe coat her for years trudges to church on her own. Yesterday in our conversations she tells me her lungs are operating at 30% and she has a growth on her thigh, her doctors have told her to get her affairs together. If anyone needed some encouragement, appreciation, hug, clap, standing o whatever for enduring a tough life in anonymity , she certainly one.

Sometime , somehow, somewhere if we are going to be anything other than a pack of selfish meatballs, heading towards oblivion, we need to learn to leave our biases at the door, and give a good god dam about each other.

That why I ask the question.

(my forte is not internet forum debate, I am far to stupid, give me some slack eh....... :blush: )

I asked the question to get your thoughts , which to my great appreciation thus far I have. All must and have of course every right to their own personal thoughts and convictions. As I stated , evidence and documentation , case by case profiles suggests very well Crosby on a very short fuse. Does this make his return consequential , you of course are not alone in finding it of little import over others. Frankly your point of us standing and applauding, encouraging those doing their best to overcome various forms of adversity , no matter the person, we would be a better culture of people if we did so. Hell I have sat behind a little old lady in a clothe coat her for years trudges to church on her own. Yesterday in our conversations she tells me her lungs are operating at 30% and she has a growth on her thigh, her doctors have told her to get her affairs together. If anyone needed some encouragement, appreciation, hug, clap, standing o whatever for enduring a tough life in anonymity , she certainly one.

Sometime , somehow, somewhere if we are going to be anything other than a pack of selfish meatballs, heading towards oblivion, we need to learn to leave our biases at the door, and give a good god dam about each other.

That why I ask the question.

(my forte is not internet forum debate, I am far to stupid, give me some slack eh....... :blush: )

You're a good man.

I am a firm believer that EVERYONE has a story to tell and we can learn from everybody we come across in our lives. If you treat people with respect no matter their background, you will live a happy life. As much of a cynic as I am, I still feel that everyone is loaded with some good and if you can convey understanding to them on a one on one basis, you can free them from their burden and come to understand you can handle yours as well.

I'm sure my day to day philosophy gets a tad muddled in my writing style here :)

i appreciate this. it be a good thrust to thread the thought we all can and need to do better to care for each other. It also great each of us may have our opinion and these opinions be diverse. None of us should be so thin skinned to not be able to endure this.

Thank you thus far for enduring my air headed babble with patience, i enjoy to participate sometimes.... :)

You're a good man.

I am a firm believer that EVERYONE has a story to tell and we can learn from everybody we come across in our lives. If you treat people with respect no matter their background, you will live a happy life. As much of a cynic as I am, I still feel that everyone is loaded with some good and if you can convey understanding to them on a one on one basis, you can free them from their burden and come to understand you can handle yours as well.

I'm sure my day to day philosophy gets a tad muddled in my writing style here :)

Exactly. Concussions happen all the time. Some people are only out a week or a few games while some people are out way longer. The hockey world didn't stop turning for Nummimen's heart problems or Connolly's concussion issues, so I'll be damned if I'm going to treat Crosby like he deserves any better than one of our own guys. He's not God's gift to hockey.

Archived