Sidney Crosby to return Monday

millbank

Sydney Crosby to return Monday against New York

As we all know to well over the past number of years many fine hockey players have ended their careers prematurely because of concussions. Sidney Crosby returns after a lengthy period of recovery. There are times when we drop our own biases regarding the players and teams we root for and against, to recognize a opponent and in simple human terms acknowledge their plight and as means of respect and encouragement in gesture of this respect will stand and applaud as a Sidney Crosby steps back on ice for first shift. Do you get up and stand or stay sitting as he simply a opponent? What would you do?

Sydney Crosby to return Monday against New York

As we all well to well over the past number of years many fine hockey players have ended their careers prematurely because of concussions. Sidney Crosby returns after a lengthy period of recovery. There are times when we drop our own biases regarding the players and teams we root for and against, to recognize a opponent and in simple human terms acknowledge their plight and as means of respect and encouragement in gesture of this respect will stand and applaud as a Sidney Crosby steps back on ice for first shift. Do you get up and stand or stay sitting as he simply a opponent? What would you do?

I sit. I haven't forgiven him for that Olympics thing yet...

I stand, or at least cheer. I may not like the guy, but the sport is better off with him playing. To me it's no different than when you see a player leave under hs own power or give a thumbs up on his way off the ice following a serious injury; doesn't matter which team, just good to see someone is alright.

i agree with this, but am not judgmental for other responses, do think though it is important to remember that in a game that has people from nations the world over , guys living a dream i suspect many of us would only be able to dream of, they in many ways not in control of who they play for, as they are drafted, each does represent a composite dream of each one of us in many ways, make no mistake if Sid where a Sabre he would be a huge hero. It is right we overcome our own biases .

I stand, or at least cheer. I may not like the guy, but the sport is better off with him playing. To me it's no different than when you see a player leave under hs own power or give a thumbs up on his way off the ice following a serious injury; doesn't matter which team, just good to see someone is alright.

Glad he's coming back. I just hope it's not premature.

I don't get the whole concussion thing. Something tells me they are babying these guys with months off. I would think you either are good to go after a few weeks, or you are never good to go. When you get rung again, you get rung again.

I wouldn't stand for Crosby. Roy probably put in a more heroic rehab and return. A guy beats cancer or a car crash...sure.

I don't get the whole concussion thing. Something tells me they are babying these guys with months off. I would think you either are good to go after a few weeks, or you are never good to go. When you get rung again, you get rung again.

I wouldn't stand for Crosby. Roy probably put in a more heroic rehab and return. A guy beats cancer or a car crash...sure.

This post is all sorts of messed up. I'm disappointed in you.

clueless!

This post is all sorts of messed up. I'm disappointed in you.

????

It's nice having Crosby back for the game. That's the extent. How is it pre-mature? That's my point...if you aren't ok after almost a year...when will you be?

Roy busted his butt off for hours at a time for months on end. All this hooplah with head injuries these days....guess what, if it takes you a year to get rid of the cobwebs....you should retire.

People have to stop making tragic heroes out of these guys. Crosby makes more in a day than most make in a year. You take risks and showcase your skill for $$. There's a special ops US Ranger in Syria right now that hasn't eaten or moved in 5 days for the good of the mission. There are hundreds of thousands of vets with disabilities that put their lives on the line every day for pennies on the dollar of our sports heroes.

Sid's set for life. He gets hit again, he gets hit. How bad does he want it?

clueless!

Would I stand for Mario's 1st game back? Yes

Saku Koivu? Yes

Lindy Ruff after he missed games when his daughter had a brain tumor? Yes

For someone coming back from a hockey play where rehab consists of bedrest and chicken soup? No

I don't care who it is. Would I clap? Sure....but a standing ovation not really.

If he was coming back from, I don't know, an achilles injury, I wouldn't. But being how serious his concussion issues have been, I would definitely clap for him as soon as he's introduced or comes back on the ice.

Sure, clap for him. I'd clap for anyone coming back from injury, especially a face of the game. But to stand for him? I guess people stand for every other act on America's Got Talent, so I shouldn't be shocked.

????

It's nice having Crosby back for the game. That's the extent. How is it pre-mature? That's my point...if you aren't ok after almost a year...when will you be?

Roy busted his butt off for hours at a time for months on end. All this hooplah with head injuries these days....guess what, if it takes you a year to get rid of the cobwebs....you should retire.

People have to stop making tragic heroes out of these guys. Crosby makes more in a day than most make in a year. You take risks and showcase your skill for $$. There's a special ops US Ranger in Syria right now that hasn't eaten or moved in 5 days for the good of the mission. There are hundreds of thousands of vets with disabilities that put their lives on the line every day for pennies on the dollar of our sports heroes.

Because it's much easier to determine if a broken bone or torn muscle is healed as compared to a head injury. Is that hard for you to understand?

Issue is a most complex one. Sport in general is at least doing much better in participants being diagnosed and with present expertise treated. There is a lengthy list of athletes who have had the careers ended prematurely because of concussions, in terms of Sabres certainly Pat Lafontaine has to come to mind of many. What we also see as a tragic fact is many and many not being a exaggeration former players , be it football, hockey, boxing , baseball, ect, at young age do suffer from concussion related issues of dementia, and a rather substantial number are dieing at a young age. The millions of dollars a Sydney Crosby or what ever individual paid, turns to be compensation for a rather short life. What is sad is while a Sydney Crosby does get the attention and yes the money, many others play short careers, earning relatively little money that is soon gone, they flounder in anonymity far to many in tragic situations. This more true of former footballers and original six hockey players.

My wish was not to make judgement or editorialize, we all have are own conscience and sympathy for others and opponents.

I do think though there is a fraternity if you will of athletes , at least people who work out at various levels , who have competed , played these games at various levels , a commonality of understanding the day in day out of what it takes to achieve and do well that amongst opponents a respect in ways a feeling of oneness, its why guys one the ice might punch each others lights out, but after the game see each other and have a beer.

...............just saying :)

(suppose you need look across the table at your wife (husband) (other :blink: ) children and ask yourself is millions of dollars worth not seeing them grow up and sharing life with them to a healthy old age

if i'm at the game where crosby returns, i cheer for sure with clapping and a loud hand-cupped WOOOOOOOO!

not sure if i stand; if people around me started standing, i would probably follow suit.

if you aren't ok after almost a year...when will you be?

not being a trained medical professional who specializes in concussions, i wouldn't know.

????

The point is what we thought we knew about brain injuries might have been wrong, and that maybe like anyone else who has had concussions, if the early ones were better handled maybe the later ones aren't so bad. Hating on Crosby and the Pens medical staff for holding him out so long seems crazy. Maybe they've been trying to develop better treatments? Maybe they're trying to change the scope of concussion knowledge? Isn't that something worth studying? Isn't using Crosby for this purpose a good idea?

Respect a guy who has tried to put his health before his career. If there's anyone that could be the face of concussion treatment maybe it's him.

i would cheer my ass off. not because i particularly like crosby as a player (though in blue and gold, i'd have a serious man crush), but because when team USA returned after the olympic hiatus, our first game was against pittsburgh. ryan miller got a standing O in mellon arena, and "all" he did was win a silver medal for our country. the pittsburgh fans went ballistic with the cheering and chanting "USA! USA! USA!" THEY are classy fans. i may not like crosby, but i am a classy fan and i *will* stand and cheer as loudly as if we had just won lord stanley's ultimate hardware.

????

People have to stop making tragic heroes out of these guys. Crosby makes more in a day than most make in a year. You take risks and showcase your skill for $. There's a special ops US Ranger in Syria right now that hasn't eaten or moved in 5 days for the good of the mission. There are hundreds of thousands of vets with disabilities that put their lives on the line every day for pennies on the dollar of our sports heroes.

As current research is showing, getting a concussion is a lot more severe than "getting your bell rung". Worse yet is suffering a second concussion before the brain is entirely healed from the first one. The human brain, for all its power and knowledge, is a very fragile organ. That is why it is encased in the skull, so damage from direct blows (like banging your head on an open cupboard door) is minimized. However, when subjected to higher velocity hits, the brain can crash up against the inside of the skull (as its internal attachments are also quite fragile). This results in bleeding or perhaps "only" swelling. Oxygenated blood can be cut off to portions of the brain that have fairly important functions, like memory, cognition and speed of processing information.

Allowing time for the brain's circulatory system to recover is essential, as well as for the brain to "move" certain processes to uninjured areas. (That is why people can recover from even fairly serious strokes.) A second episode of brain injury during this recovery time can prolong recovery at the least and in the worst-case scenario, it can be fatal.

I agree that Sidney Crosby and indeed all professional athletes are paid very well for risking their health on the field of competition. I also agree that our soldiers and sailors put their very lives on the line for substantially less compensation and (indeed) far less glory or often even a proper "Thank you". However, I don't think that we are making sports figures like Crosby into "tragic heroes". They know the risks of playing a contact sport like hockey and are prepared to accept those risks, just as members of our armed forces have accepted the risks of defending our country. It is true that Sidney Crosby could, if he wanted to, retire today with a sizable bank account and never look back. (In fact, he probably should knowing how long it took to recover from this injury.) Our armed forces have also made a choice; to defend their country, putting their health and indeed their very lives on the line. They do not do it for the money, that is certain, and not for trophies or championship rings. Their sacrifice is an unselfish one and in my mind is greater than any athlete in any sport.

It is unfortunate that we build our sports figures into such heroes when real heroism often goes unrewarded and even unnoticed. But, although the sacrifice of a hockey player returning from a concussion may not be comparable to that of a member of the armed forces, it is a sacrifice nonetheless. I believe Crosby should still be applauded for having the desire to return to the sport that took away a part of himself.

Archived