Flyers bring game to a complete standstill.....twice,

bob_sauve28

Thirty seconds into Wednesday's Game, the Flyers retrieved the puck in their own zone and, when faced with Tampa Bay's 1-3-1 defense — Martin St. Louis at the blueline and three teammates lined up behind him — defenseman Brandon Coburn simply stopped. The Flyers didn't advance the puck, and the Lightning didn't go after them. Nobody moved for about 30 seconds, and then the referee blew the whistle for a restart

When play resumed, the Flyers and Lightning used their same tactics. Another restart. Then, the Flyers started to attack Tampa Bay's trap with the usual methods.

NHL Rules 63.1 and 63.2 plus rule 72.1 give referees the ability to give a team a two-minute minor for delaying the game (Rule 63) or refusing to start play (Rule 72). But no one can seem to remember the last time a penalty was called for this kind of situation.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-11-10/rink-report-neutral-zone-trap-discussions/51157308/1

Thirty seconds into Wednesday's Game, the Flyers retrieved the puck in their own zone and, when faced with Tampa Bay's 1-3-1 defense — Martin St. Louis at the blueline and three teammates lined up behind him — defenseman Brandon Coburn simply stopped. The Flyers didn't advance the puck, and the Lightning didn't go after them. Nobody moved for about 30 seconds, and then the referee blew the whistle for a restart

When play resumed, the Flyers and Lightning used their same tactics. Another restart. Then, the Flyers started to attack Tampa Bay's trap with the usual methods.

NHL Rules 63.1 and 63.2 plus rule 72.1 give referees the ability to give a team a two-minute minor for delaying the game (Rule 63) or refusing to start play (Rule 72). But no one can seem to remember the last time a penalty was called for this kind of situation.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-11-10/rink-report-neutral-zone-trap-discussions/51157308/1

Although it isn't delaying the game at all...it is shortening it. The whistle delayed the game.

As the game progressed word began to spread of Philadelphia's response to the trap.

"Whats happening in this phi tbay game that everyones talking about. The boys are out for dinner and wondering?" said Tyler Bozak of the Toronto Maple Leafs, who are in St. Louis for a game against the Blues on Thursday.

When other Twitter users explained the Flyers' response to Tampa's trap, Bozak added: "Haha thanks for the responses. Want to see this it sounds hilarious!"

Bozak wasn't alone in his reaction. Other NHLers were taken aback by Tampa's reliance on the trap and Philadelphia's passive tactic.

"Wow... Did that just happen in the Lighting Flyers game.." tweeted Colorado Avalanche defenceman Shane O'Brien.

Daniel Carcillo, who played in Philadelphia last season, quickly replied to O'Brien.

"(at)ShaneOBrien55 looks like Tampa is playing a sick zone defense out there. .embarrassing," said Carcillo, now with the Chicago Blackhawks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380134

This is all so fascinating for someone like me. Not sure where I stand on it.

I really, really don't like playing the game. Philly has to be creative in getting through the defense. I'm sure there are ways to do so. If they cant, then it's on them.

But that D is lame. Italian soccer-esque, and that's obviously the antithesis to hockey.

Although it isn't delaying the game at all...it is shortening it. The whistle delayed the game.

The term delay of game is really a misnomer ... The game is not delayed ... The action in the game is delayed. A player can be called for delay of game for holding the puck against the boards. The clock continues to run ... Action is delayed or prevented from happening.

You know me so well :blush:

I know you have been working hard merging threads... :thumbsup:

The NHL needs to figure out a way to make the game fun to watch but as of right now you can't blame a team for playing a style that allows them to win. If the sabres made the playoffs than trapped for 16 games and won the cup we would not be upset, we would be drunk. Maybe a slightly bigger ice surface would help (85ft to 90?) either way it wont change this season so for now this game was symbolic.

I watched that game last night and I was very surprised at the Flyer's response to the 1-3-1. Stop the game? Really? If I were the ref I would have given the Flyers a 2 minute penalty for delay of game. When you have the puck you are supposed to attack. If not, you ARE delaying the game.

As for the 1-3-1, where in the book does it say it's illegal? We've had other systems like the trap before but teams didn't refuse to attack in response to it. Get creative and think of a way to get around it. Don't sit there with the puck and in effect whine about not being able to move it up ice because you don't like Tampa's defense. The 1-3-1 is not going to be declared illegal, so get used to it.

Isn't this exactly what the Sabres did against the Flyers in our playoff-clinching win last April?

It was at the end of regulation--the equivalent of a QB kneeldown, and not in the first period--but yes. And I have no problem with what Filly did last night, either. I have a problem with Tampa fans bitching about it (check their boards); if your team plays a crappy system and gets mocked for it, so be it. Frankly, the 1-3-1 works so well against Buffalo, and I'm nearly certain that Filly used it during the playoffs last year (that would make them hypocrites, but is that surprising?), that I'm glad someone found a way to mock it on Tampa's home ice.

I watched that game last night and I was very surprised at the Flyer's response to the 1-3-1. Stop the game? Really? If I were the ref I would have given the Flyers a 2 minute penalty for delay of game. When you have the puck you are supposed to attack. If not, you ARE delaying the game.

If you were the ref, you couldn't. It's not illegal.

You could blow the whistle for a faceoff, however.

It was at the end of regulation--the equivalent of a QB kneeldown, and not in the first period--but yes. And I have no problem with what Filly did last night, either. I have a problem with Tampa fans bitching about it (check their boards); if your team plays a crappy system and gets mocked for it, so be it. Frankly, the 1-3-1 works so well against Buffalo, and I'm nearly certain that Filly used it during the playoffs last year (that would make them hypocrites, but is that surprising?), that I'm glad someone found a way to mock it on Tampa's home ice.

As I recall, it was the Philly Forecheck that was the undoing of the Sabres last april.

I don't know where I fall on this one. I HATE the trap, but I also despise the Flyers. I'm calling it a push.

So apparently Mike Millbury walked off the set during the 2nd intermission last night because of this. I'm sure I'm not the first, but I would like to thank Boucher and Laviolete for their incredible gift to hockey.

Awesome.

Ok, how about a requirement to have at least one man in the zone that the puck is in.

This is a good start.

Well, the Flyers lost. So, whatever TB was doing, worked. If the Flyers hadn't wasted so much time with the puck, maybe the outcome could have been different.

I hate the "trap." it's boring. It's also not illegal. The Flyers should have been penalized for Delay Of Game. If they have possession of the puck, they should be moving it.

TB isn't required to forecheck or pressure them. Granted, it's embarrassing, and outright pu$$y of them. It was also very, very pu$$y of the Flyers to choose not to attack...Come up with better offensive schemes if you don't like their defensive schemes.

even though the flyers were trying to embarrass tampa......the flyers actually hurt themselves.....by not bringing the puck out, the referee's blew the whistle resulting in a faceoff in the flyers zone......which for the sake of arguement gave them a 50/50 chance to lose possession.

even though the flyers were trying to embarrass tampa......the flyers actually hurt themselves.....by not bringing the puck out, the referee's blew the whistle resulting in a faceoff in the flyers zone......which for the sake of arguement gave them a 50/50 chance to lose possession.

How about this to get the action going, if after 30 seconds the defending team (Tampa) does not attempt to pressure the offensive team (Philly) the referee blows the whistle and the face-off is in the defending team's (Tampa's) zone. That would encourage teams to limit the trap.

I don't know where I fall on this one. I HATE the trap, but I also despise the Flyers. I'm calling it a push.

I wish it had been a random team like Nashville that had done this instead. I get the feeling that every single fan outside of the Tampa area would have supported this move universally.

You are absolutely right; what was I misremembering? Boston the year before? A bad dream? Something?

They may have switched to it at some point, but they sure as hell weren't using it in the first minute of the game.

If you don't like the trap, then figure out a way to beat it. How about sending the wingers at full speed into the offensive zone. Time a blast from the defensemen so that it crosses the blue line just ahead of them. You now have two skaters with speed that are either going to get behind the opposing D to get the puck first, negating icing, or that will draw an interference call. It's not that dissimilar from what Philly did 2 years ago in the playoffs against Boston that we couldn't do.

If you don't like the trap, then figure out a way to beat it. How about sending the wingers at full speed into the offensive zone. Time a blast from the defensemen so that it crosses the blue line just ahead of them. You now have two skaters with speed that are either going to get behind the opposing D to get the puck first, negating icing, or that will draw an interference call. It's not that dissimilar from what Philly did 2 years ago in the playoffs against Boston that we couldn't do.

I don't think anyone is saying the trap should be illegal. But I liked that Philly refused to move first thereby exposing it. Refusing to move first iisn't such a bad idea. There is no rule that says a player has to skate the puck to you.

Archived