Flyers bring game to a complete standstill.....twice,

bob_sauve28

I don't think anyone is saying the trap should be illegal. But I liked that Philly refused to move first thereby exposing it. Refusing to move first iisn't such a bad idea. There is no rule that says a player has to skate the puck to you.

There's also no rule saying that you have to skate to the puck. They do blow the whistle when the puck stops moving altogether, though. I wonder, if Philly's D had just passed the puck back and forth, would the refs have still called for a faceoff?

I'd imagine that the league is going to quickly issue a rule where if this happens, upon blowing the whistle the faceoff will be dropped at center ice.

That won't stop teams from doing it. Penalizing a team for delay of game will. The trap is 100% legal. What Philly did was an abomination to the game. Glad they lost.

That won't stop teams from doing it. Penalizing a team for delay of game will. The trap is 100% legal. What Philly did was an abomination to the game. Glad they lost.

So skating around with the puck is an abomination but not bothering to send a player within 20 feet of it is perfectly acceptable? Philly's actions were as legal as Tampa's.

There's also no rule saying that you have to skate to the puck. They do blow the whistle when the puck stops moving altogether, though. I wonder, if Philly's D had just passed the puck back and forth, would the refs have still called for a faceoff?

I don't see how they could under the rules. I also don't advocate changing the rules.

Teams that want to play boring hockey in their own building should be allowed to.

I was hoping Philly would skate to the red line after a few minutes dump the puck in and set up a 1-3-1 themselves.

That would make for an exciting night of beanbag.

I don't see how they could under the rules. I also don't advocate changing the rules.

Teams that want to play boring hockey in their own building should be allowed to.

I was hoping Philly would skate to the red line after a few minutes dump the puck in and set up a 1-3-1 themselves.

:lol:

that would be way funnier than just holding the puck in your own zone. It's like watching a game of chess or something. not that I would want to watch it.

The trap is going to be discussed at the BOG meeting next week in Toronto. Expect changes coming in 2014-2015.

Really though what changes could you make?? The only thing I could think is a lacross, NCAA BB collegiate half court line infraction against the team posessing the puck.

Other than forcing the puck to keep moving, I don't see how you can prevent a team from playing that type of trap by rule??? Any ideas. If I was Philly, I would have considered keep three guys back to counter the trap reversal and work on trying to spring a guy deep.

So skating around with the puck is an abomination but not bothering to send a player within 20 feet of it is perfectly acceptable? Philly's actions were as legal as Tampa's.

Philly had possession. There is more of an obligation for them to do something with it, than there is for TB to try and get it back.

GMs meeting set for Tuesday to discuss the 1-3-1.

Maybe change the icing line to your own blue line? It would open up the dump and chase and force teams to either drop players further back or attack the blue line. Other then that the only real option they have would be to do away with the neutral zone and go soccer style with a center line I think.

Agreed.

I am shocked that this strategy hasn't been used before in the NHL, and I think it was a brilliant move by Laviolette.

That would be awesome. That would take hockey coaching up a level or two, and would make hockey a fast, physical, and intellectual game. There would be brief moments of speed, skating, moves, followed by long periods of little movement, watching, and positioning.

It would lose a ton of audience, but it would be interesting to behold, none-the-less.

ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that the fallout from Wednesday’s bizarre stalemate between Philadelphia and Tampa Bay isn’t going away anytime soon. The trap/stall controversy will be one of the issues at Tuesday’s NHL general manager’s meeting in Toronto, which should prove interesting as both Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Tampa’s Steve Yzerman will be in attendance.

“My TSN colleague Bob McKenzie polled GMs around the league and asked them which team they blamed for Wednesday’s controversy,” LeBrun writes. “As of 7 pm ET Thursday, 18 GMs responded; 13 blamed Tampa, three blamed Philadelphia and two stayed neutral. Eight of the 13 who said it was Tampa Bay’s fault said they were in favor of instituting new rules or penalties to combat the 1-3-1 trap.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/11/tampa-trap-to-be-discussed-at-nhl-gms-meeting/

ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that the fallout from Wednesday’s bizarre stalemate between Philadelphia and Tampa Bay isn’t going away anytime soon. The trap/stall controversy will be one of the issues at Tuesday’s NHL general manager’s meeting in Toronto, which should prove interesting as both Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Tampa’s Steve Yzerman will be in attendance.

“My TSN colleague Bob McKenzie polled GMs around the league and asked them which team they blamed for Wednesday’s controversy,” LeBrun writes. “As of 7 pm ET Thursday, 18 GMs responded; 13 blamed Tampa, three blamed Philadelphia and two stayed neutral. Eight of the 13 who said it was Tampa Bay’s fault said they were in favor of instituting new rules or penalties to combat the 1-3-1 trap.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/11/tampa-trap-to-be-discussed-at-nhl-gms-meeting/

3 teams blamed Philly, let me guess: Tampa, New Jersey and Minnesota..

I don't really see a problem with the 1-3-1 (I don't like it, but I don't think it is inherently bad for hockey), at least not the way most of the league plays it. Most teams have the lead guy ACTUALLY fore-checking and pushing the puck into the neutral zone. What Tampa runs (or at least what they ran on Wednesday) should really be called a 0-1-3-1. I think this could be stopped easily by instituting a rule that the defending team must have a player in the zone moving to the puck carrier once the puck clears the trapezoid (This call can be delayed in the event of a line change). Combine this with a 10 second violation for teams to clear the defensive zone once they control the puck beyond the goal line, and this nonsense will stop, you'll never see either of these penalties called, the teams will adjust quickly. Teams that want to play the 1-3-1 trap still can, but they need to work to force the play into the neutral zone.

Archived