GDT: Winnipeg at Buffalo 11/8/11 7:00PM

nfreeman

I think you might be overreacting a little bit here. Sure, they had a bad night, but this is a pair that has shown a lot of solid play. To break them up after one bad night wouldn't necessarily be out of the realm of reality, though, as Lindy has been known to tinker with lines and pairings often.

I agree. The Myers / Sekera pairing actually looked "healthier" in the previous two games. With that said ... I am still of the opinion that Weber should be getting some game time out there... and based on our D corps I would pull either Grags or Myers for it. Personally, Myers seems completely lost. If early last season was his Sophomore slump then is this his Junior Jerk-off (Sorry dunno what a Junior slump would be called)? He looks lost in the woods.

Oh and I have to say .. I love the Gerbe (obviously) .. but man he needs to lay off the unnecessary penalties. Undisciplined. He should be DRAWING those ... not COMMITTING them. He did a little of both in this game but I would still like to see it cleaned up a bit.

Oh and I have to say .. I love the Gerbe (obviously) .. but man he needs to lay off the unnecessary penalties. Undisciplined. He should be DRAWING those ... not COMMITTING them. He did a little of both in this game but I would still like to see it cleaned up a bit.

The 1st Gerbe penalty was just dumb. The 2nd penalty wouldn't have occurred if Myers had the sense to take two steps forward and drift the puck into the corner.

The 1st Gerbe penalty was just dumb. The 2nd penalty wouldn't have occurred if Myers had the sense to take two steps forward and drift the puck into the corner.

Agreed, I was referring to the first one in this game and the one in that game last week where he laughed at the bad call. He has a history of undisciplined penalties.

Well let me try and put my opinion on the game.

First off, the RJ tribute was amazing; the best announcer in Hockey, hands down; Im glad we got a win tonight, even though it was an UGLY game to watch at times. We looked scrambling and just off for much of the game.

For Miller, I dont think you can blame many of the goals solely on him; the D let him down big time; he is still off; and youd like to see him make two of those saves; but a W is a W and maybe this will start getting his confidence back; if not then 1B can take over.

I thought the officiating was pretty fair tonight and consistent throughout for both teams; this was a nice refreshing change of pace compared to previous games.

Roy, Vanek, Pommers, Gerbe, Gaustad and Tropp had great games (Minus the D zone roy brain ifarts)

Myers need to sit for a game; whatever he had, he lost it; and he needs to find it; I saw him twice tonight play the puck instead of the man; and thats a cardinal sin as a D man.

Callin Leino, has anyone seen him; he is beginning to remind me a little of Max; he holds on to the puck and dangles, and dangles, and etc.... Rarely shoots, and is missing the net quite a bit.

Lindy is still getting caught in games with bad line changes at bad times; a couple of times a routine play turned into a rush because of this; and Id like to see it cleaned up.

It was nice to see our PP click; Id like to see us score on every 5-3, but I cant complain, plus the prettiest goal of the year came SH in my opinion, and from an unlikely source.

It was great to see us battle back and show resiliency throughout the game; Against a better team; I think we lose tonight; but 2 points is 2 points and thats never something to complain about. We need to shore up the D again; it was nice to see that we actually have the ability to score goals when needed; lets keep it rolling against 2 divisional games this weekend!!!

Wow, what a glorious mess that was.

Ugly, but ultimately very entertaining, with a happy ending.

1. We're fortunate to be playing an inherently undisciplined team, tired and at the end of a long road trip. Still, getting into a track meet with the Jets is match we should be winning most of the time.

2. Andrej Sekera has been our best Dman this year but he was brutal tonight. Bonehead plays by 44 led directly to two goals. I still don't know what he could possibly have been thinking on the Byfuglien goal.

3. Derek Roy epitomized the Sabres tonight: scary at both ends of the ice.

4. The captain was our best player. Again. His battle was as good as I've ever seen it. He kept battling when the old core would have folded like little kids. I liked Goose a lot as well.

5. Gerbe had a bit of a tough one. The desire, however, was there as always.

6. The team should have been flying from the RJ ceremony. Instead, they couldn't complete a pass and looked nervous as hell to start.

7. Of course they just could have been feeding off their goalie. I've been rolling my eyes at the goalie controversy, but it sure as hell felt real early. I can't remember the last time I felt that nervous when a puck came that close to a Ryan Miller net. Good on Ruff for sticking with him. Good on the offense for coming through when 30 needed it most. Bad on anyone jeering his play. I'm never in favor of sugar coating poor play. That's not the same thing as eating your own. Miller's track record should have earned him some slack with the fans.

8. Did anyone see how Cody got cut? Cause he sure seemed to get the better of the fight.

9. Tropp looks like he has a future as an NHL role player. Another win for video scouting?

10. Christian Ehrhoff looked for solid, smart and poised whenp the rest of blue line (with the it-goes-without-saying exception of Regehr) looked like stags flooded by halogens. It may have been his best game as a Sabre.

11. The power play looked dominant even when it wasn't scoring.

I thought Miller was weak on one goal, so-so on another, and hung out to dry on the other three. Defense tried too hard and over committed. Forwards played well.

Problem for us fans is that we are used to Miller bailing the team out on 1 or 2 of the ones he gave up and he did not. He is clearly off his game. Who knows why?

14 games into the season. Give Miller, and everyone else, a chance to work through the off season changes.

I got a big Labatt Blue, 2 goals from Vanek and and Cody McCormick beat up glass pretty good. They won an ugly, but entertaining game. I get 50% off Moe's, a free 6" sub from Subway, and $6 off a New Era Sabres hat.

Is anyone able to find a list of the Subways that honor this? Are there any in Rochester?

if anyone wants to see it, Here is RJ's speech (most of it). A great atmosphere and tribute to a legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJd3VZsboc&feature=feedu

I thought that whole HOF ceremony, including Gare, Sylvester, the video tributes and the Hawerchuk and RJ speeches was very nicely done.

Wow, what a glorious mess that was.

Ugly, but ultimately very entertaining, with a happy ending.

1. We're fortunate to be playing an inherently undisciplined team, tired and at the end of a long road trip. Still, getting into a track meet with the Jets is match we should be winning most of the time.

2. Andrej Sekera has been our best Dman this year but he was brutal tonight. Bonehead plays by 44 led directly to two goals. I still don't know what he could possibly have been thinking on the Byfuglien goal.

3. Derek Roy epitomized the Sabres tonight: scary at both ends of the ice.

4. The captain was our best player. Again. His battle was as good as I've ever seen it. He kept battling when the old core would have folded like little kids. I liked Goose a lot as well.

5. Gerbe had a bit of a tough one. The desire, however, was there as always.

6. The team should have been flying from the RJ ceremony. Instead, they couldn't complete a pass and looked nervous as hell to start.

7. Of course they just could have been feeding off their goalie. I've been rolling my eyes at the goalie controversy, but it sure as hell felt real early. I can't remember the last time I felt that nervous when a puck came that close to a Ryan Miller net. Good on Ruff for sticking with him. Good on the offense for coming through when 30 needed it most. Bad on anyone jeering his play. I'm never in favor of sugar coating poor play. That's not the same thing as eating your own. Miller's track record should have earned him some slack with the fans.

8. Did anyone see how Cody got cut? Cause he sure seemed to get the better of the fight.

9. Tropp looks like he has a future as an NHL role player. Another win for video scouting?

10. Christian Ehrhoff looked for solid, smart and poised whenp the rest of blue line (with the it-goes-without-saying exception of Regehr) looked like stags flooded by halogens. It may have been his best game as a Sabre.

11. The power play looked dominant even when it wasn't scoring.

Good post.

My 2 cents:

1. I won't deny being a Miller fan, and letting in 5 (plus one that was disallowed) was not pretty, but still: he was hung out to dry on every one of them. He also made a number of really good saves to keep the deficit at 1. I was surprised to hear Lindy say in his post-game presser that Miller is "fighting it." He was pretty clearly (IMHO) implying that Miller didn't play well.

2. That was Sekera's worst game of the year.

3. Leino was also pretty lousy, as was Stafford. Leopold wasn't as bad, but still kinda shaky.

4. 2 bonehead offensive-zone penalties by Gerbe.

5. Classic Roy game: some great offense and some numbers, but a number of critical lapses as well. Still, it's good to see his offense coming around. If Stafford and Leino can keep heads out of rectums that line could really be something.

6. Very nice game from Pommer.

7. Also a good effort by Tropp. He's got some game and some edge. Maybe a bit like Kennedy but with more size. I think I saw him take a few shifts with Gaustad and Gerbe (and I think Boyes was up with Vanek and Pommer -- maybe Lindy sat Adam for a few shifts in the 3rd period). When Kaleta returns, I'd rather sit Ellis than Tropp.

8. Ehrhoff was better defensively tonight, but he shoots wide on the slapper too often.

9. Excellent fight by McCormick.

10. I'll take the W, but the Sabres need to play a much more disciplined game if they want to get anywhere this year.

Miller's SV% for this game tonight: .839

It was a shootout and I think Ruff was smart to leave Miller in and eventually claw out the win. Miller was hung out to dry a lot tonight and 1 of the goals I would have thought he should stop and the rest I would have been happy if he had. I think you role Enroth of Friday and then Miller again on Saturday. Either way glad he picked up a win and hopefully he will start to feel better and get his game sorted out.

Side note with miller: Did anyone else think that on those 1v1 situations he didn't seem to come out and challenge the shooter like he should? I think he is still playing tentatively and I hope some more practice time will help.

-that RJ speech brought tears to my eyes. I was one of those kids listening to him on the radio in bed

-nice to see Roy get going

-the pairing of Myers and Sekera was flat out terrible. Sekera has been solid this year, but his lapses cost us 2 goals

-where was Stafford? He completely vanished tonight

-good crowd tonight

-when Kaleta comes back, Ellis should be replaced by Tropp. We could use the extra physicality

-speaking of extra physicality, someone needs to sit so Weber can get in there. Grags completely lacked hustle tonight.

-ate at Pearl Street for the first time. Pretty good.

-did something happen with Luke Adam that I missed? It didn't seem like he was out there much tonight...

Game thoughts...

- Just got home from the game(and a couple of beverages afterwards) :rolleyes:

- It was a sloppy game that coaches hate, but you know what....IT WAS GREAT FOR THE FANS. Awesome pre-game ceremony, bad defense, Miller couldn't make big saves, a GREAT fight, a ton of goals...AND A WIN!

- Myers needs to sit down. He is unbelievably indecisive and looks like he is skating in cement filled skates. I have no idea what is going on with this guy.

- Vanek and Pominville back on track!

- Roy with a nice offensive game, but an equally bad game in terms of giveaways and defensive zone play.

- If the Sabres can't find a way to get Erhroff SOG, he will be a very average FA signing.

- Lindy...please give Weber a couple of games. Your team is a train wreck in their own end, and Weber can only help in that regard.

GO SABRES!!!

-that RJ speech brought tears to my eyes. I was one of those kids listening to him on the radio in bed

-nice to see Roy get going

-the pairing of Myers and Sekera was flat out terrible. Sekera has been solid this year, but his lapses cost us 2 goals

-where was Stafford? He completely vanished tonight

-good crowd tonight

-when Kaleta comes back, Ellis should be replaced by

Tropp. We could use the extra physicality

-speaking of extra physicality, someone needs to sit so Weber can get in there. Grags completely lacked hustle tonight.

-ate at Pearl Street for the first time. Pretty good.

-did something happen with Luke Adam that I missed? It didn't seem like he was out there much tonight...

I didnt see much of stafford out there either. When he was he was driving the net hard though.

Perhaps something many of us are overlooking (including myself) is that these two were brought in to steady the Sabres "young" defense. Which is really what it is, excluding Leopold. And Leopold hasn't been too bad overall - I kind of like him. I think once Ehrhoff and Regehr settle in a little more, and start helping to mold the youngs guys, the D corp may finally start to improve like, I suspect, many of us expect it too.

Indeed, I would go so far as to hazard the guess that maybe that is what we're seeing in Sekera and Myers - maybe they're getting instruction, and since it's new, like any younger person, it takes time to understand and adjust to what they're hearing.

Some other points; I know we all watched the same game, so it's interesting to note the comments here about Leino and Stafford - definitely some mixed opinion. I thought Stafford had a presence on the ice. That's his game, though - you don't notice him like you do Roy or Vanek - not until he starts scoring. But he was out there and I saw him putting in some effort.

I thought Leino had another decent game. Remember, he's supposed to be centering, regardless of the lane, and he's been feeding pucks toward the net, and keeping them in the offensive zone. I think people are underestimating him right now because the others on his line(s) aren't doing their jobs.

Overall, I think we're seeing in the Sabres the result of two things: altered "chemistry", of which you have to include the new roles for the vets - like the new Captain, the new Alternates - and not to mention the new players. Also, I think we're seeing a coach and team over-compensating for the former.

I counted miller being hung out to dry 9 times, he stopped 5 of them. The 3rd goal he should have had. Cover up the trailers, boys.

Welcome back Mr. Roy.

How is this defense 9-5-0, a game in hand out of first place in the division, with the third lowest GAA in the East? Right now I think it's raw talent compensating for lack of either effort or comfort (I'm not sure which).

Morning After Musings:

1. The RJ ceremony and all those goal calls was impactful. Well done Buffalo.

2. Buffalo scored goals 5-5, 5-4, 5-3, 4-3 and 4-5 last night. All that was missing was 4-4. Will be a long time before your see that in a game again. Just when I had given up hope that Buffalo could score a SHG, they execute one of the most memorable SHGs I have seen.

3. How does a professional hockey player not know you can't clear a stick from the zone?

4. Rich man, poor man: Derek Roy 3 points (two goals) and a -2.

5. The Vanek slapper from the blueline was a laser. He wanted to do it again but they didn't cycle the puck to him in the high slot.

6. McCormick wailed on that guy.

7. I simply don't understand how Leino couldn't even get a point in THAT game last night. He finished a -2. And while I'm questioning the new guys, what ever they paid Ehrhoff all that money to do, he isn't doing it.

8. Buffalo rallied four times in that game.

9. The Jets were assessed 14 penalties to Buffalo's six. Buffalo had an amazing 5 PPG and a SHG..

10. Too bad they gave gave up that PPG. Tarnished, only slightly, their amazing PK.

just one more

11. Rob Ray said Miller was back after having a chance to work on some things. Presumably he got better. Too all you out there that said a few of those goals were not his fault, I agree. The big BUT though, was a Miller that was truly back would have stopped those. A few years back during the Captains era, those things happened to him all the time and he stopped those breakaways cold. IMHO he's not back yet. And if he really IS back, then the Miller 2011 is not as good as the Miller of previous years. A fact we may just have to learn to live with.

Morning After Musings:

2. Buffalo scored goals 5-5, 5-4, 5-3, 4-3 and 4-5 last night. All that was missing was 4-4. Will be a long time before your see that in a game again. Just when I had given up hope that Buffalo could score a SHG, they execute one of the most memorable SHGs I have seen.

3. How does a professional hockey player not know you can't clear a stick from the zone?

5. The Vanek slapper from the blueline was a laser. He wanted to do it again but they didn't cycle the puck to him in the high slot.

7. I simply don't understand how Leino couldn't even get a point in THAT game last night. He finished a -2. And while I'm questioning the new guys, what ever they paid Ehrhoff all that money to do, he isn't doing it.

9. The Jets were assessed 14 penalties to Buffalo's six. Buffalo had an amazing 5 PPG and a SHG..

10. Too bad they gave gave up that PPG. Tarnished, only slightly, their amazing PK.

just one more

11. Rob Ray said Miller was back after having a chance to work on some things. Presumably he got better. Too all you out there that said a few of those goals were not his fault, I agree. The big BUT though, was a Miller that was truly back would have stopped those. A few years back during the Captains era, those things happened to him all the time and he stopped those breakaways cold. IMHO he's not back yet. And if he really IS back, then the Miller 2011 is not as good as the Miller of previous years. A fact we may just have to learn to live with.

If this is true, his coach will not live with it and he will not be the starting goalie, Enroth will. Another fact we all may have to learn to live with.

Morning After Musings:

just one more

Perhaps if the NHL would allow them to wrap the goalposts in shin pads and old skates, Ehrhoff could actually hit the net...

Ugly win! Miller didn't look good and the defense gave up too many chances. I could only imagine what the score would have been if they weren't playing a team at the end of a seven game road trip.

For those that routinely complain about officiating must have loved last night. The Sabres received some gifts from the officials, especially towards the end.

Enroth should get the start on Friday. If Enroth plays well, or at least better than Miller did on Tuesday, a Saturday start should be in order.

I didn't like the defensive pairing of Myers-Sekera. They stunk.

I would guess that towards the end of the year and hopefully into the playoffs Myers and Regehr will be the #1 pairing and eat up a ton of minutes. It wouldn't make sense to do it now and wear them out. Plus, a Sekera and Leopold pairing would be frightening.

The early season wishlist now includes a veteran defense-man to be picked up at the trade deadline.

I thought that whole HOF ceremony, including Gare, Sylvester, the video tributes and the Hawerchuk and RJ speeches was very nicely done.

Good post.

My 2 cents:

1. I won't deny being a Miller fan, and letting in 5 (plus one that was disallowed) was not pretty, but still: he was hung out to dry on every one of them. He also made a number of really good saves to keep the deficit at 1. I was surprised to hear Lindy say in his post-game presser that Miller is "fighting it." He was pretty clearly (IMHO) implying that Miller didn't play well.

2. That was Sekera's worst game of the year.

3. Leino was also pretty lousy, as was Stafford. Leopold wasn't as bad, but still kinda shaky.

4. 2 bonehead offensive-zone penalties by Gerbe.

5. Classic Roy game: some great offense and some numbers, but a number of critical lapses as well. Still, it's good to see his offense coming around. If Stafford and Leino can keep heads out of rectums that line could really be something.

6. Very nice game from Pommer.

7. Also a good effort by Tropp. He's got some game and some edge. Maybe a bit like Kennedy but with more size. I think I saw him take a few shifts with Gaustad and Gerbe (and I think Boyes was up with Vanek and Pommer -- maybe Lindy sat Adam for a few shifts in the 3rd period). When Kaleta returns, I'd rather sit Ellis than Tropp.

8. Ehrhoff was better defensively tonight, but he shoots wide on the slapper too often.

9. Excellent fight by McCormick.

10. I'll take the W, but the Sabres need to play a much more disciplined game if they want to get anywhere this year.

1.Agreed. Miller did not play poorly. No goalie survives those chances consistently, especially clean looks from the low slot.

2. Understatement

3.Thought these two were ok, Leino back checked nicely a few times , handled the puck well in the o zone. You have to remember , guys that play with Roy do not always get the puck when open.

4. Hope this one does not become a habit.

5. Ditto..

8. On two occasions Hoff shot wide on purpose, it was the only lane he had, I think Roy scored on one when he slammed it home coming off the boards on the left side . On the second one, a near miss on a deflection.

10. Gospel.. Sabres nightmares, Teams that fore check, and teams with speed that play up the middle and go to the net .

Archived