All about fear the Grier

Cage

This is one of the things that kind of sucks when it comes to a journeyman role-player's career. There's no celebration, no retirement ceremony, no way for the fans to say "goodbye"; just a quiet walk off into the sunset.

Maybe a bunch of us could write to Black and suggest some sort of Grier night at HSBC...

Time for a tune up for the old sarcasm detector?

:thumbsup:

But seriously - based on recent drafts the video scouting has been helpful. If they continue that aspect and also are able to send scouts over to see players in person where, if they are allowed, they can talk to the prospects and get a feel for off-ice information; more the better for the team.

What about Jay McKee? Maybe for Amerks?

He's still listed on the Niagara Purple Eagles website as a Volunteer Assistant Coach. I bet we could pry him away from that high paying gig but I don't know if he really wants to move to Rochester at this point. I bet he's pretty content just hanging in Buffalo.

• 3 months later...

Mike Grier retires from NHL

"Mike Grier has decided to call it a career.

The 36-year-old announced his retirement from the NHL Thursday after more than 1,000 career games over 14 seasons. Grier spent last two years with the Buffalo Sabres..."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011/12/01/sp-nhl-grier-retire.html

post-1443-091990700 1322764715_thumb.png

Grier retires

http://wgr550.com/Mike-Grier-Retires/11622451

“I was very fortunate to be able to play 14 seasons in the NHL with some great players,” said Grier. “The memories and friendships that I have built during my time in the league will last a lifetime. I would like to thank my former teammates, family and fans for helping make my career so memorable for me. It was a great ride, and I am now excited and looking forward to my post-playing future.”

Mike Grier retires from NHL

"Mike Grier has decided to call it a career.

The 36-year-old announced his retirement from the NHL Thursday after more than 1,000 career games over 14 seasons. Grier spent last two years with the Buffalo Sabres..."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011/12/01/sp-nhl-grier-retire.html

post-1443-091990700 1322764715_thumb.png

stick taps for Mike. Loved his game.

One of my favorite Griersie memories: in 2005 or so, he absolutely destroyed Darcy Tucker on a forecheck. Tucker, who was the kind of player the Sabres could use at forward, got up with blood in his eye, realized that there was no way he could take on Grier and instead blindsided Hecht with an elbow to the head, infuriating Lindy. (That wasn't the good part -- it was the huge hit on Tucker, who was generally smart enough to avoid being crushed like that.)

One of my favorite Griersie memories: in 2005 or so, he absolutely destroyed Darcy Tucker on a forecheck. Tucker, who was the kind of player the Sabres could use at forward, got up with blood in his eye, realized that there was no way he could take on Grier and instead blindsided Hecht with an elbow to the head, infuriating Lindy. (That wasn't the good part -- it was the huge hit on Tucker, who was generally smart enough to avoid being crushed like that.)

But the elbow was kind of accidental; it looked to me like he was trying to take out Hecht's knee w/ a classic knee-to-knee and then Farcy just messed up the cheap shot.

I'm pretty sure that was the rationale that Colie used in not giving Farcy a suspension for the hit.

You're right, the hit by Grier was monstrous.

Regards, Mr. Grier. Thanks for the memories.

Archived