All about fear the Grier

Cage

Wouldn't Mike Grier make a great two way signing for 1 year. I could picture him in Rochester being a player/coach and helping develop guys like Kassian and Foligno... Could be the start of a transition into coaching. He's a great, tough character guy and be available to be called up if needed. I would really like to see a guy like that teach Kassian how to use his passion in the right way, with the right control.

If it works out, the year after he could become an assistant coach and take if from there?!?

He wouldn't sign to play in Rochester. He may sign on to coach though.

Based on interviews at the end of last year, I think he knows he doesn't have much time left, if he was formally a player/coach, not just a player in Rochester and there was the opportunity to be called up as we neared playoff time. I'm wondering if that would be appealing to him?

Based on interviews at the end of last year, I think he knows he doesn't have much time left, if he was formally a player/coach, not just a player in Rochester and there was the opportunity to be called up as we neared playoff time. I'm wondering if that would be appealing to him?

My opinion is no. He doesn't need the money to warrant the beating his body would take, to play in the AHL no less.

He implied that he would retire if the Sabres were not interested in bringing him back, so I'm not sure he'd play elsewhere at this point, but that's certainly not concrete. Grier's no longer eligible to play under a two-way contract so any time spent in Rochester would require clearing waivers. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't appeal to him... his interest is in contributing to a Cup winner as a player. If he's not capable of performing on the ice, in my opinion, he isn't going to waste his time buried on an AHL roster.

He'd make a great coach.

Agreed. I hope he stays with the Sabres organization somehow - when he was reported to have been in tears at the end of the season that was my first that he'd be a great coach.

Not to call you out but how would you know he'd make a great coach? What would make him even a good coach? Just because he's a good character guy how does that make him a coach?

I'm not sure if he would make a great coach, but I would count Mike Grier as one of the smartest players I've ever watched in Blue and Gold.

• 1 month later...

Grier and Teppo would be some good development coaches. Teppo still lives in WNY, Grier is in Boston I believe.

When the Sabres drafted Armia, Darcy mentioned in an interview that Teppo will be doing some consulting work for the Sabres this season. In what capacity, I have no idea, but I remember him casually mentioning that in an interview.

When the Sabres drafted Armia, Darcy mentioned in an interview that Teppo will be doing some consulting work for the Sabres this season. In what capacity, I have no idea, but I remember him casually mentioning that in an interview.

I heard they are getting 8-10 more scouts. Maybe he does Finland?

This is one of the things that kind of sucks when it comes to a journeyman role-player's career. There's no celebration, no retirement ceremony, no way for the fans to say "goodbye"; just a quiet walk off into the sunset.

This is one of the things that kind of sucks when it comes to a journeyman role-player's career. There's no celebration, no retirement ceremony, no way for the fans to say "goodbye"; just a quiet walk off into the sunset.

The Incredible Hulk walk off music seems so appropriate here.

Archived