Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Have you watched Steve Mason attempt to stop a puck recently? Chicago has the talent to win the Cup, but can't get out of the first round because Crawford stinks. Of the bottom 10 teams in the league, only 3 have a legitimate starter (Anaheim, Montreal, Carolina). Having a legit starter certainly doesn't guarantee a long playoff run, but not having one almost certainly dooms your team to failure.

I'm not against dealing Miller for the right package (and two legitimate top-6 players would have to be enticing, although I don't think we'd get that return), but I'm wholeheartedly against the plan in net being "see what Enroth can do over 60 games!" If I'm to be convinced trading Miller is the right move at this time, I need a significantly more stable option in net to replace him.

I was thinking more along the lines of see what Hasek could do for 50 games and Enroth 30......if Hasek is a total washup, then Enroth would not be the worst thing to try out for a season.....especially if you could get more parts up front.

It's an alternative. Maybe not even a good one, but "something" needs to change around these parts.

I'm also not opposed to making a 3-way shakeup and bringing in Luongo and having Miller go somewhere else. Uncle Terry has the money to eat the contract down the line, and I would take Luongo over Miller 8.3 times out of 10 over the long haul.

There are so many different options to explore these next few weeks......and I am trying to stay positive by unearthing those options. I hope at least some of these conversations are going on....even if none of them get done. A blockbuster is possible if wanted.

Miller.....3 playoff appearances.........2 series wins

Luongo....5 playoff appearances.....6 series wins

Miller......GAA...2.73...2.64...2.53...2.22...2.59...2.54

Luongo...GAA..2.28....2.38...2.34...2.57...2.11...2.41

Miller......SV%....911...906....918....929....916....916

Luongo...SV%....921...917....920....913....928....919

So........we have a 33 year old vs a 32 year old when the season starts........Luongo coming off a better season in both GAA...SV%...and Win%....while his team won a President's Trophy...

Luongo has had a better GAA and SV% in 5 of the past 6 years.......

Luongo has won a series in 4 of the past 6 playoffs and has gone to a Stanley Cup while Miller has won a series in 1 year (Drury...cough...Briere...cough...)

Luongo has a lower cap hit than Miller next year

In the name of the Baby Jesus, Holy Mary, St Anthony, and Tim Horton.......why would anyone be so inclined to pronounce Miller superior to Luongo as if the comparison is silly?

If the comparison is silly.......which I wouldn't object to......I think it may be the other way around.

So........we have a 33 year old vs a 32 year old when the season starts........Luongo coming off a better season in both GAA...SV%...and Win%....while his team won a President's Trophy...

Luongo has won a series in 4 of the past 6 playoffs and has gone to a Stanley Cup while Miller has won a series in 1 year (Drury...cough...Briere...cough...)

In the name of the Baby Jesus, Holy Mary, St Anthony, and Tim Horton.......why would anyone be so inclined to pronounce Miller superior to Luongo as if the comparison is silly?

If the comparison is silly.......which I wouldn't object to......I think it may be the other way around.

I don't think anybody is saying Miller is superior. I think most of us are saying it's more of the same. Isn't the whole point of making trades to change something?

Are you seriously, honestly and truly, coughing about Briere and Drury for Miller (as if to downplay his playoff series wins) and making no mention of the Sedins and Kesler for Luongo? That's what's silly about this.

I don't think anybody is saying Miller is superior. I think most of us are saying it's more of the same. Isn't the whole point of making trades to change something?

Luongo/Kesler/#2

Miller/Roy/Stafford/Sekera/#12/#21

That's the MF'n CORE movin' out!!!

I still hold Luongo higher by far. Vancouver has a possible elite alternative which is why he is even mentioned.

Are you seriously, honestly and truly, coughing about Briere and Drury for Miller (as if to downplay his playoff series wins) and making no mention of the Sedins and Kesler for Luongo? That's what's silly about this.

Yes it is silly.......because we have the HPIC for a GM.

Out here in Canuckland you would have a helluva time finding someone who thinks Luongo is better than Miller.

For some reason there have been a lot of rumors of Luongo going to FL again. It was talked about on the NHL channel on XM and mentioned a couple other places online. Panthers fans got word of it and the general concensus is they want him being no part of the Panthers. They'd rather stick with Theodore and Markstrom/Clemmensen (if he re-signs).

I don't think there's much to those rumors, Tallon is way too smart to even consider such a move.

lets see Loungo has put up thous numbers on a team that has each season gotten stronger and stronger around him, whilest Miller has put up his numbers on a team that at least in popular opinion around here has gotten weaker and weaker around him.

Then lets examine the whole fact that Loungo has lost his starting job to his backup. So you think it is a great idea to bring in a goalie with a contract till he is 43 that on a stronger team could only manage slightly better numbers then Miller and that did such a bang up job that it was decided they stood a better chance with him on the bench.

I would rather have Enroth start the whole season then have Loungo on this roster

For some reason there have been a lot of rumors of Luongo going to FL again. It was talked about on the NHL channel on XM and mentioned a couple other places online. Panthers fans got word of it and the general concensus is they want him being no part of the Panthers. They'd rather stick with Theodore and Markstrom/Clemmensen (if he re-signs).

I don't think there's much to those rumors, Tallon is way too smart to even consider such a move.

But is Burke? Burkes in the last year of his contract and needs a big splash in Toronto. Thats where he'll go.

But is Burke? Burkes in the last year of his contract and needs a big splash in Toronto. Thats where he'll go.

I think that is a fair assesment. What is opinion around here next year if the Leafs make it and the Sabres miss?

I'm not expecting a blockbuster...just throwing what I feel are reasonable matches out there considering the climate.

For some strange reason I am willing to root for these jagoffs next year no matter what. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

Oh Burke might. The rumors of Lou to FL I think is just fodder for everybody to talk about. Lou wanted out of FL because he didn't like the old management and coaching to naturally a rumor would start for him to go to FL now that the entire team is new top to bottom. I just don't see it happening. Markstrom is their future, Luongo has no place in FL.

lets see Loungo has put up thous numbers on a team that has each season gotten stronger and stronger around him, whilest Miller has put up his numbers on a team that at least in popular opinion around here has gotten weaker and weaker around him.

Then lets examine the whole fact that Loungo has lost his starting job to his backup. So you think it is a great idea to bring in a goalie with a contract till he is 43 that on a stronger team could only manage slightly better numbers then Miller and that did such a bang up job that it was decided they stood a better chance with him on the bench.

I would rather have Enroth start the whole season then have Loungo on this roster

Miller's highest GAA on that list,2.73, came when his team was good enough to win the presidents trophy...

And how is it more of the same to some if it is a key member of the core leaving? I seem to remember during the middle of the season people were dying to see any core player moved, and were furious when it didn't happen. And where do all of those "trade miller now, he sucks" people go during the offseason? They come in droves every December or so, and seem to forget all about his struggles once we go on a nice little run to almost get our ###### handed to us by the 1 seed...

Miller's highest GAA on that list,2.73, came when his team was good enough to win the presidents trophy...

And how is it more of the same to some if it is a key member of the core leaving? I seem to remember during the middle of the season people were dying to see any core player moved, and were furious when it didn't happen. And where do all of those "trade miller now, he sucks" people go during the offseason? They come in droves every December or so, and seem to forget all about his struggles once we go on a nice little run to almost get our ###### handed to us by the 1 seed...

Oh please, this year's 1 seed wasn't capable of handing anyone their ass.

What good does trading a member of the core do if we trade them for the same kind of player? It accomplishes nothing.

What good does trading a member of the core do if we trade them for the same kind of player? It accomplishes nothing.

Change of scenery might help...? This isn't the ideal trade I would pursue (if it was the only one then I'd probably do it) and despite my defense of luongo, I would rather have Miller be one of the only core remaining. He has been my favorite sabre for years. In this particular trade, the other two players gone would make up for a similar goalie...

But I think I'm finished discussing this trade, as unlikely as it is. With Darcy's recent fleecing ability showing, I would hope to shake up the core with a much more clear trade victory for us :)

But every other player is always better/has more potential then teh guy the Sabres currently have!

The members of "the Core" are like cancer/an infectious disease! They are bringing down the remainder of the team along with Lindy, so they all have to be moved!

Josh Harding signed a 3 year, 5.7 million dollar deal with the wild per tsn. That really only leaved pavelec of the jets for a goalie. I think it's a goalie market, I would at least listen to miller or enroth trade offers

And then how do you replace the player your dealing? If the market is so low for goalies, why move one if you don't have someone as good or better to replace them? Unless the Sabres are in business of trying to make other teams better, or looking to use the "Flyers method" of winning a championship by throwing anyone they can in net hoping one will work

Again, there is no reason to create a weak spot/hole by getting rid of one of the goaltenders right now. The only people who believe right now that Enroth has the ability to carry a team as a starter are Sabres fans that want to see Miller moved. The Sabres have no one NHL ready behind Enroth who can come in and be a backup, so that would leave them scrapping the already dry goaltender market for a capable backup

But every other player is always better/has more potential then teh guy the Sabres currently have!

The members of "the Core" are like cancer/an infectious disease! They are bringing down the remainder of the team along with Lindy, so they all have to be moved!

I totally agree with this. I would much rather not trade anyone or try anything different for anther 15 years and enjoy my two extra months of Summer every year.

I totally agree with this. I would much rather not trade anyone or try anything different for anther 15 years and enjoy my two extra months of Summer every year.

Where did I say I wouldn't trade anyone

Darcy has made many trades for "guys that might just need a change of scenery", and where did that get them

My point was that everyone wants to get rid of every player that ever had a conenction to "the core" because apparently they are all diseased and infecting everyone tehy come into contact with so they all need to go. There are some of "the core" who are good players and should be kept around (Pomminstein, Miller, Stafford if he continues to play real well with Ennis), and there are some that should be sent packing (Roy)

Bobby Ryan is being shopped again from the Ducks.

Yes Please, I'd like that type of winger.

Not sure the reliability of this cat, but, since it's slow before draft day figured I would kick up some dust today.

Two NHL insiders had told me last year a Bobby Ryan/Jonas Hiller deal for Ryan Miller was all but done and then the Lucic incident happened.

Archived