Who's left? Centers et al.

PromoTheRobot

I guess I'm not really understanding why this team NEEDS a #1 center. Did the SC champs have a #1 center? A 40 goal scorer? Anyone on their team that we'd pay $6 mil per year for? And they did it all without someone who, I think, wouldn't be expecting big money on the free agent market. The Bruins were 5th offensively, while Buffalo was 9th. It may be only a goals for stat, but since Buffalo has DRAMATICALLY improved their defense, based on last year, I think the Sabres are in a far better place than the Bruins are.

IMO "far better place than the Bruins" is a stretch. Equal to the Bruins is a more realistic assessment at the moment. But even that statement assumes things that haven't been proven on the ice yet. Like how our defence performs with the new additions and whether Leino can be an effective NHL center.

IMO "far better place than the Bruins" is a stretch. Equal to the Bruins is a more realistic assessment at the moment. But even that statement assumes things that haven't been proven on the ice yet. Like how our defence performs with the new additions and whether Leino can be an effective NHL center and whether miller returns to form.

fixed it for you, I know you didn't forget that, you were just counting on my love affair with him to come through.

According to Wikipedia and Hockeydb, Nathan Gerbe is listed as a Left Wing. I'm really not sure where this whole Center thing came from or started.

Also, for those wondering, hockeydb has Ville Leino listed as a Forward (no specific position). Most websites including hockeydb also list Hecht as a Center. This is technically true as Hecht was trained originally as a Center in Germany and played Center his first few years in the NHL with the St. Louis Blues. However, he is much more effective and better on the Left Wing than he is Center.

All that being said, the only thing I can come up with is that someone somewhere made a mistake on Gerbe and it's never been fixed. I'm sure he could play Right Wing, though, and with his incredibly low center of gravity could win some faceoffs, I imagine, but he's not a center.

fixed it for you, I know you didn't forget that, you were just counting on my love affair with him to come through.

Now why you wanna go and hijack this nice #1 center thread with a discussion about whether Miller was off form or performed on average last season? :P

Now why you wanna go and hijack this nice #1 center thread with a discussion about whether Miller was off form or performed on average last season? :P

Because I'm a topic pirate. :pirate:

naw, you right. It should have been a new thread entitled, "We don't need a #1 center, miller was just off form"...

Lol, I changed his Wikipedia page from "Centre" to "Left Wing" after a similar thread not too long ago.

Wikipedia anyone can make that stuff up. But, hockeydb is generally the true source. That's why I sourced hockeydb in an earlier thread about Tyler Kennedy playing center. I think hockeydb is pretty good and is the true source, but if they consider Hecht a center, it does bring into some question the accuracy, or maybe it's simply that Hecht is a centerman, but just not very good and that he's better on the wing.

I don't know what position anyone plays anymore. Especially after Lindy's interview on the Howard Simon show Friday morning, it appears positions don't even matter for forwards. Who knows?

I just don't think Roy has the ability cover the ice defensive-wise like a true #1 center. I don't think we really NEED a number one center for this season, but in the long run I don't think it's Roy.

I don't really understand this idea. There's a reason Roy plays tons of minutes on the PK!

Which is why I wondered about the Armia pick when McNeill was right there.

Because they considered his talent to be on a completely different order of magnitude. McNeill was considered a solid prospect, who probably make the NHL as a third-line center, maybe second; Armia was considered a riskier pick, but with the potential to be a first-line winger. Picked the best (potential) player, not for need.

Because they considered his talent to be on a completely different order of magnitude. McNeill was considered a solid prospect, who probably make the NHL as a third-line center, maybe second; Armia was considered a riskier pick, but with the potential to be a first-line winger. Picked the best (potential) player, not for need.

But this need is a glaring need . Potential, thats quite a slippery slope. we need a gritty center be it 2nd or 3rd line. its done though. maybe we pick up a pivot via the trade route.

But this need is a glaring need . Potential, thats quite a slippery slope. we need a gritty center be it 2nd or 3rd line. its done though. maybe we pick up a pivot via the trade route.

Regardless of who the player is he won't be on the team for another 3-4 years. It's impossible to know what the Sabres glaring needs are at that point.

It's a glaring need today, but based on the Talbot contract, it would appear the going rate to add a gritty center is ~$2MM per. Those types also tend to be available at the trade deadline and they should be able to fit a $2-3MM player into the lineup at that point of the season if they decide this is the year to 'go for it.'

A true top line #1 winger would run far more in FA. If you have a chance to 'home grow' one, he'll cost you about 20% of what it should run the 1st 3 years and you can probably still get him for 1/2 price for the next 3.

Though the Sabres don't have a gritty 3rd line center on the team (unless you count Gaustad, and as he's more of a 4th liner and doesn't bring the sandpaper that I think you're referring to, I'd guess most people wouldn't count Gaustad), they are far more plentiful and cheaper than true #1 line talent.

The Sabres have been doing a good job drafting the past few (at least on paper) and have some good toughness on it's way up the pipeline. If they really do see 1st line potential in the kid, it's not a bad pick.

Regardless of who the player is he won't be on the team for another 3-4 years. It's impossible to know what the Sabres glaring needs are at that point.

The signing of Erhoff and the Regehr trade also show you can fill some needs more immediately. It also allows more time players like Sekera and Weber to develop. When Regehr is up in two years hopefully Weber will have solidified his position.

Mcneil was said to be NHL ready. It's water under the bridge. Wheelin & dealin is the way to our present needs of a quality pivot. The Finn we chose wasn't a bad pick, I was just hoping they went for help down the middle

And since I saw him skating on the wing back before you were even a teenager...

...so you saw him play hockey when he was in middle school? I am serious, did you see gerbe back then because hes a couple months younger than I.

Also I wish the sabres would be better about fixing their roster on their own freaking website.

Derek Roy is a good center and since he missed half the year, i can't believe we are sitting here judging him.

It's a glaring need today, but based on the Talbot contract, it would appear the going rate to add a gritty center is ~$2MM per. Those types also tend to be available at the trade deadline and they should be able to fit a $2-3MM player into the lineup at that point of the season if they decide this is the year to 'go for it.'

A true top line #1 winger would run far more in FA. If you have a chance to 'home grow' one, he'll cost you about 20% of what it should run the 1st 3 years and you can probably still get him for 1/2 price for the next 3.

Though the Sabres don't have a gritty 3rd line center on the team (unless you count Gaustad, and as he's more of a 4th liner and doesn't bring the sandpaper that I think you're referring to, I'd guess most people wouldn't count Gaustad), they are far more plentiful and cheaper than true #1 line talent.

The Sabres have been doing a good job drafting the past few (at least on paper) and have some good toughness on it's way up the pipeline. If they really do see 1st line potential in the kid, it's not a bad pick.

I agree one often can be had at the trade deadline, even Zubrus who adjusted as fast as any, trade deadline deals really haven't worked out well for the Sabres. It seems in this system, guys coming in need time to work on the system chemistry, so if the Sabres are going to go after someone they should do so earlier in the season imo so that some adjust time can be factored in.

I agree one often can be had at the trade deadline, even Zubrus who adjusted as fast as any, trade deadline deals really haven't worked out well for the Sabres. It seems in this system, guys coming in need time to work on the system chemistry, so if the Sabres are going to go after someone they should do so earlier in the season imo so that some adjust time can be factored in.

I think this should be something Lindy changes.

...so you saw him play hockey when he was in middle school? I am serious, did you see gerbe back then because hes a couple months younger than I.

Also I wish the sabres would be better about fixing their roster on their own freaking website.

Derek Roy is a good center and since he missed half the year, i can't believe we are sitting here judging him.

I'm exaggerating a bit obviously, but yes, I have seen him play hockey a while back. I saw a couple games with the US developmental program, which would put him somewhere around 16 (too lazy to do the math here, I'm on vacation). Strangely enough, his center back then isn't a center anymore, lefty himself, Phil Kessel.

Speaking of Roy, is it the assumption that he will be 100% come training camp? Not much has been said about his injury.

Speaking of Roy, is it the assumption that he will be 100% come training camp? Not much has been said about his injury.

He has to be very far along the recovery path since he played in game 7. The bigger concern will have to be Pominville.

Archived