Who's left? Centers et al.

PromoTheRobot

What's here for anyone to angry at another poster about? The site says he's a center, so of course people, newbies or just people who don't pay much attention to shrader here, are going to possibly think he's played center before, and he's only been playing wing for us because he's not yet adjusted to NHL level center-ing-ish-ness. Happens all the time. Glad to see nobody wasted their energy on flaming people for making that suggestion, because that would just be arrogant and stupid. :)

The Sabres official site also still has Mancari and Niedermayer on the roster although both have signed elsewhere (but curiously it does not list Grier ...) and on the mobile site has Boyes and Leino both wearing # 22 so .... I don't think we want to make any predictions based on the "official" site at this point ...

Spezza has started to mature in Ottawa and has more talent than anyone on our roster upfront outside of Vanek. He also seems to love playing at HSBC haha.

Spezza was a monster when he had a Heatley and a productive Alfy. I see no reason Vanek and Stafford can't be those guys for him. It just sucks knowing what we would have to give up to get him.

The Sabres official site also still has Mancari and Niedermayer on the roster although both have signed elsewhere (but curiously it does not list Grier ...) and on the mobile site has Boyes and Leino both wearing # 22 so .... I don't think we want to make any predictions based on the "official" site at this point ...

And you don't see any difference between those things and listing Gerbe as a Center? Interesting.

And you don't see any difference between those things and listing Gerbe as a Center? Interesting.

I am saying it's a credibility issue. At this point I'd double check if they spelled the new guys' names correctly.

Whatever the case, I am not sure where anyone is listed as a center, the roster has all the forwards bunched together as one group.

That would be an incredibly stupid trade. Spezza is maybe marginally better than Roy.

Besides, the idea is to add a center in addition to Roy, not in place of him.

And finally, as long as Leino is at least as good as Connolly, I think this team will be fine this season. Adam should start seeing more action, and besides the center position we are pretty much stacked at wing. Boston won the Cup without any marquee centers, Buffalo can do the same. Our defense will be good enough that we'll barely have to score anyway.

I believe this team is fine as-is. Giving up any more young assets at this point would be too big of a threat to the future of the team.

I am saying it's a credibility issue. At this point I'd double check if they spelled the new guys' names correctly.

Whatever the case, I am not sure where anyone is listed as a center, the roster has all the forwards bunched together as one group.

Good thing we don't have Dustin Byfuglien or Nathan Paetsch on the team, eh?

I don't see the need to trade Roy for a Number One centerman if we find a team that is looking for whatever we are offering. Like for instance, a Hecht/Ennis/Sekera/Pick trade for a Stastny (or maybe even a Sharp) could work, and then we have Pominville and Boyes possibly tradeable, too and guys waiting in the wings to fill their RW slot, so we have options that don't even involve Roy, IMO.

You guys serious? Roy missed the entire second half of last season. Derek "Tin Man" Roy if you ask me. I'd trade him for a bag of pucks and a philly cheesesteak.

:doh:

Did I miss something? Is this April 1st? You probably forgot to put the LOL on your post, although most of us know you were kidding anyway.

Spezza was a monster when he had a Heatley and a productive Alfy. I see no reason Vanek and Stafford can't be those guys for him. It just sucks knowing what we would have to give up to get him.

I wouldn't give much at all. He is only marginally better than Roy. Skibum is right.

You want a nr. 1 centerman? Well they're few and far between. Leading candidates:

Malkin - good luck there

Lecavalier - his contract is a monster

Stastny - unproven IMO, yet to reach his prime (the Avs hope)

Koivu - Minn. GM says he is untradeable

Pavelski/Thornton - good luck there too

As I have posted before, I doubt we will get a true nr. 1 centerman via trade. We can only hope that Leino or Adam pans out. The best thing to do is increase the power of the wings (can we get Parise? Please?!?) and let the center position be what it is. We will still be a very strong team.

Gerbe is listed as a Center on the Sabres website.

Could this be the idea?

Vanek Leino Stafford

Ennis Roy Pominville

Hecht Gerbe Boyes

McCormick Goose Kaleta

Thoughts?

I didnt read the entire thread but gerbe has been listed as a center on the sabres since I argued with Shrader that he was center all the way back to February. Hes a good winger and I gave up the center argument because who knows if its possible for the fiesty kid to pull it off. I think its just the way it is but maybe, just maybe gerbe in the center of some big guys is the plan. Time will tell.

i argues in another thread that Roy is better than spezza so i am not doing it again and I am not looking up the thread, try the leino thread but its stupid to swap roy and spezza especially if we added more to the roy package. Roy is a number 1/2 center accept it.

I didnt read the entire thread but gerbe has been listed as a center on the sabres since I argued with Shrader that he was center all the way back to February. Hes a good winger and I gave up the center argument because who knows if its possible for the fiesty kid to pull it off. I think its just the way it is but maybe, just maybe gerbe in the center of some big guys is the plan. Time will tell.

Maybe it was some big plan of his bantam coach.

i argues in another thread that Roy is better than spezza so i am not doing it again and I am not looking up the thread, try the leino thread but its stupid to swap roy and spezza especially if we added more to the roy package. Roy is a number 1/2 center accept it.

Roy was statistically in the top ten of centers as far as point production in calendar year 2010. Until his injury he led the team in points every season since 7/1/07. He was #1 in points on the team that won the 09-10 Northeast Division. Spezza was .996 points per game 2007-2011 on a team built around him, Roy was .927 ppg on a team built around Ryan Miller. Roy is a #1 center in every sense except that he's only a $4M cap hit. If he was a UFA this year he'd have signed for $5-6M/yr, maybe more.

Roy was statistically in the top ten of centers as far as point production in calendar year 2010. Until his injury he led the team in points every season since 7/1/07. He was #1 in points on the team that won the 09-10 Northeast Division. Spezza was .996 points per game 2007-2011 on a team built around him, Roy was .927 ppg on a team built around Ryan Miller. Roy is a #1 center in every sense except that he's only a $4M cap hit. If he was a UFA this year he'd have signed for $5-6M/yr, maybe more.

I just don't think Roy has the ability cover the ice defensive-wise like a true #1 center. I don't think we really NEED a number one center for this season, but in the long run I don't think it's Roy.

gerbe has been listed as a center on the sabres since I argued with Shrader that he was center all the way back to February.

For the record, he was listed as a center on the organization's webpages since well before he ever played in Portland. Somebody put it in incorrectly way back when and nobody's bothered to correct it since. My theory is still that someone saw that he was under 5'10", so he had to be a center.

I guess I'm not really understanding why this team NEEDS a #1 center. Did the SC champs have a #1 center? A 40 goal scorer? Anyone on their team that we'd pay $6 mil per year for? And they did it all without someone who, I think, wouldn't be expecting big money on the free agent market. The Bruins were 5th offensively, while Buffalo was 9th. It may be only a goals for stat, but since Buffalo has DRAMATICALLY improved their defense, based on last year, I think the Sabres are in a far better place than the Bruins are.

Archived