Who's left? Centers et al.

PromoTheRobot

I know Darcy said they were done for now but with Connolly leaving do the Sabres look to plug a FA center in his place?

PTR

I don't know how much money we even have left. I know trades can take place but we're already over the cap and can only go 10% over. I'm still holding out for a somewhat significant trade involving a center. They're pretty set everywhere on the roster except for down the middle and with this much money invested I find it hard to believe that Roy, Goose and two converted wingers will be our four C.

Jarred Smithson and Marcel Goc are both inexpensive centers that played for Nashville, and are still unsigned I believe. They don't offer much that we can't already get internally. But they are center depth. Goc's got more offensive upside but Smithson is a pretty good hitter. And they are centers.

Did I mention that those two guys are centers? Cuz they are. Just sayin'...

I mentioned Arnott earlier. He made $4.5 last season. I would expect you could get him for less, at least before the Connolly contract :doh:

I agree. I think Arnott would be good, is a Stanley Cup Winner, brings size and experience, can win draws, and you can put him in a 3rd line role with Pominville and Hecht, and he would still be successful. I would be very satisfied with an Arnott signing and then being done with it, although, I'd still prefer a blockbuster trade to bring in the #1 Center.

Jarred Smithson and Marcel Goc are both inexpensive centers that played for Nashville, and are still unsigned I believe. They don't offer much that we can't already get internally. But they are center depth. Goc's got more offensive upside but Smithson is a pretty good hitter. And they are centers.

Did I mention that those two guys are centers? Cuz they are. Just sayin'...

Goc signed in Florida IIRC. Haven't heard about Smithson.

I think the Sabres are done w/ free agency though, unless a trade opens up a extra spot on defense or something.

I mentioned Arnott earlier. He made $4.5 last season. I would expect you could get him for less, at least before the Connolly contract :doh:

Arnott is already on the Sabres, he plays between Stafford and Kaleta on the third line, he had 20 goals and 41 assists last season, and a momentum changing fight against Columbus in the Stanley Cup Finals...oh wait, that's my team on XBox...

Zenon Konopka would be an excellent addition as our 4th line center, which could move Goose to the 3rd line and Hecht back to wing. Z would give us some toughness and grit we're sorely lacking--- he can hit, fight, has an edge, is defensively responsible and wins draws. He can't do squat offensively, but it's pretty much a wash for what he adds.

Precluding, of course, a trade for a "true" no. 1.

As of this moment, the Depth Chart at Center is likely;

Leino-Roy-Gaustad-McCormack

Mind you, Roy has just as much a claim to number one, as Lindy doesn't have a top line. :-/

Vanek Leino Pominville

Ennis Roy Stafford

Hecht Gerbe Boyes

McCormick Goose Kaleta

Gerbe is listed as a Center on the Sabres website.

Could this be the idea?

Vanek Leino Stafford

Ennis Roy Pominville

Hecht Gerbe Boyes

McCormick Goose Kaleta

Thoughts?

I like that better than Cody, which is what I had been thinking, because it keeps 'someone ridiculous' off the 4th line.

But, it's the offseason. This is what we're looking at now, because we have three months before they play a fraking game. Lindy's day one lines may well be fried two minutes into the bloody game.

I like that better than Cody, which is what I had been thinking, because it keeps 'someone ridiculous' off the 4th line.

But, it's the offseason. This is what we're looking at now, because we have three months before they play a fraking game. Lindy's day one lines may well be fried two minutes into the bloody game.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Darcy land a center in a trade this week too.

If Leino is going to play center, what do you think about packaging something like Roy, Sekera, 1st to acquire a true#1?

There was a counter trade proposal from Ottawa (countering our trade deadline offer) a few weeks ago that was going to send Roy, Kassian and our 1st to Ottawa for Jason Spezza. We rejected the deal.

Personally I'd like to keep Roy and acquire a center by some other means like stacking a deal with prospects and possibly Sekera.

Adam, Sekera, Pysyk, 2nd (cgy) proposal to a team that needs help on D would really give us a chance to gain a quality center.

If Leino is going to play center, what do you think about packaging something like Roy, Sekera, 1st to acquire a true#1?

There was a counter trade proposal from Ottawa (countering our trade deadline offer) a few weeks ago that was going to send Roy, Kassian and our 1st to Ottawa for Jason Spezza. We rejected the deal.

I don't know you, your leads, if you're delusion or total BS. However if I'm reading this trade after it happens, I'm pissed. Just horrible.

Roy 09-10 (because of Roys injury last year): 26/43/69, 50.4% FO

Spezza 08-09 (as Spezza hasn't played 82 games in 2 years): 32/41/73, 53.3%

Wouldn't throw in anything, including players or draft picks. No thanks.

I don't know you, your leads, if you're delusion or total BS. However if I'm reading this trade after it happens, I'm pissed. Just horrible.

Roy 09-10 (because of Roys injury last year): 26/43/69, 50.4% FO

Spezza 08-09 (as Spezza hasn't played 82 games in 2 years): 32/41/73, 53.3%

Wouldn't throw in anything, including players or draft picks. No thanks.

it was OTTAWA'S PROPOSAL.....

my philosophy is building a championship team isnt like playing jenga. you dont add players on top and then pull out the foundation blocks that have been there all along. it will just fall apart then. i agree, no sense in trading a point collecting center established in the system, for a "name" player. its just

bad math in my opinion. if you want to win so bad today, trade your tomorrow players and picks, dont trade your right now players.

Archived