Confirmed non-Sabres trade discussion

spndnchz

I like Burns and brought up the idea of trading for him a week or so ago when news came out that the Wild were shopping him. However I am much happier with Regehr. It's hard to compare their value because they are completely opposite types of players, but Regehr is definitely more valuable to the Sabres than Burns would be (Sabres have many players with the same skillset--leopold,sekera,MAG). Maybe it's the opposite in San Jose -- I would hope so, because Setoguchi was a hell of a price to pay.

They trade away Horton and a year later they pickup one of the worst contracts in hockey? This was the last move Florida should have made. The Chicago front office must be sitting there in stunned silence, shocked that they got out from under the Campbell contract. I think Stan Bowman just won GM of the year if that award exists.

Panthers have to spend to the cap. Even with Campbell they need to spend 26 million more on 11 players, just to reach the NHL floor.

It really isn't such a stupid deal for Florida.

Panthers have to spend to the cap. Even with Campbell they need to spend 26 million more on 11 players, just to reach the NHL floor.

They couldn't find a shorter term big contract to take on? It may not be an issue this year or next. That may not be the case in years 3,4 and 5.

In all seriousness, why not sent the Panthers Leopold, Morrisonn, Kotalik and some drafts picks for a low rated prospect or two just to free up some cap space?

We should see if they want Hecht, Boyes, Kotalik and Morrisson. A blockbuster!! (for draft picks BTW)

They couldn't find a shorter term big contract to take on? It may not be an issue this year or next. That may not be the case in years 3,4 and 5.

In all seriousness, why not sent the Panthers Leopold, Morrisonn, Kotalik and some drafts picks for a low rated prospect or two just to free up some cap space?

Campbell is overpaid, no doubt. But he can still play.

Florida needs exactly everything that Soupy can do. If Kevin Devine is going to move away from all-trap all-the time. It doesn't hurt to get a player that you want your other players to play like in terms of possession.

Basically if Florida if forced to overspend....they get a player that can play up to 30 minutes. Move the puck. QB the power-play, and get the puck to a lot of good players they are going to have coming up in the next 3 years.

Leopold is fine on the 2nd pairing and it doesn't appear that TP has an issue w/ wasting a bit of money so Morrisonn & Kotalik won't hurt anything down in Ra-cha-cha.

I wouldn't throw away a draft pick as there really isn't any cap space hit unless they make a run at Richards and even then the cap hit is only during the off-season.

Not much has been said about the Sharks picking up Burns.

26 years old. 6' 5" 220lb.

17 goals 46 points a -10.

133 hits/106 blocked shots

1 year left at $3.35, pending UFA

The Sharks paid a heavy price for him. The Sabres got good value in the Regehr trade. Can the Sharks say the same?

Sharks gave up a ton to get Burns. I think they paid too much. Burns really is the original Byfulien ...a converted winger.

Actually, I think it was the Burns deal that sealed Robyn Regehr's decision to come to Buffalo. San Jose was looking for a D-man.

But when the trade went down, I think that was the extent of Regehr's shopping for options.

Not much has been said about the Sharks picking up Burns.

26 years old. 6' 5" 220lb.

17 goals 46 points a -10.

133 hits/106 blocked shots

1 year left at $3.35, pending UFA

The Sharks paid a heavy price for him. The Sabres got good value in the Regehr trade. Can the Sharks say the same?

Nope.

Because Leopold is good. Send Kaleta instead.

Sharks gave up a ton to get Burns. I think they paid too much.

You are right. Coyle will be good, and setoguchi already is

I think Coyle is going to have a nice NHL career. The kid looked as strong as an ox in Buffalo.

He can really work well along the boards. People here would be glad to have him in our system. San Jose's got a funny thing going there though with BU players. They keep drafting them, only to trade them away a year later.

There was one unfortunate thing with Coyle last year though. His play really regressed the rest of the way after the world juniors. Who knows, maybe he was burned out, but he wasn't the same player that was a force in the world juniors.

He can really work well along the boards. People here would be glad to have him in our system. San Jose's got a funny thing going there though with BU players. They keep drafting them, only to trade them away a year later.

There was one unfortunate thing with Coyle last year though. His play really regressed the rest of the way after the world juniors. Who knows, maybe he was burned out, but he wasn't the same player that was a force in the world juniors.

That's really the thing with young players, they aren't consistent by definition.

That's really the thing with young players, they aren't consistent by definition.

It does seem like the exact opposite happens more often though. Kids come back from that tourney and their season takes off. But yeah, it's not really something to read too much into. For all we know he may have come back with a minor injury.

It does seem like the exact opposite happens more often though. Kids come back from that tourney and their season takes off. But yeah, it's not really something to read too much into. For all we know he may have come back with a minor injury.

Marcus Folingno and Zack Kassian both went a bit cold after the WJC.

I think it is the physical toll....and also like having the world series in the middle of the season.

I think that happens with fringe players who get a boost of confidence after experiencing success at a perceived higher level. I think that would have happened to Foligno had it not been for his injury.

A player who expected to make the team might experience a sense of finality when the tourney is over and have a harder time re-energizing.

I think that happens with fringe players who get a boost of confidence after experiencing success at a perceived higher level. I think that would have happened to Foligno had it not been for his injury.

A player who expected to make the team might experience a sense of finality when the tourney is over and have a harder time re-energizing.

I wonder if it has a different effect on the college kids. They definitely see a whole new level of competition that they don't run into as consistently in the NCAA. To me, Coyle actually seemed like the kind of kid who should have struggled a bit at the world juniors. He was playing in the EJHL which is clearly a couple rungs below where most of these other kids were the previous year. Most expected him to be slow to catch on even at the college level, but he wasn't. So maybe that rush finally caught up to him like you're suggesting here.

yeah...right now there are like 3 threads for the same thing...start combining these!!

Thats like crossing swords.

More people need to just read first, see the conversation, be the conversation, join the conversation.

Archived