Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

It's really early to be saying it was Darcy's best work, but there's another big reason why I don't want to call it that: Kotalik. Darcy suddenly had the great weapon in his arsenal, being able to absorb an albatross contract. He couldn't do that in the past when he pulled off deals like Briere or the Dumont/Gilmour package.

I agree. It makes a GM's job much easier when you can take on contracts the other team is looking to dump, and then bury the player in the AHL or Europe for cap relief.

On paper, the Leino, Ehrhoff & Regehr moves look good, but let's see how the season plays out before nominating DR for NHL Executive of the Year.

It's really early to be saying it was Darcy's best work, but there's another big reason why I don't want to call it that: Kotalik. Darcy suddenly had the great weapon in his arsenal, being able to absorb an albatross contract. He couldn't do that in the past when he pulled off deals like Briere or the Dumont/Gilmour package.

So? He got to take a horrible contract that we dont mind paying send him to Europe so we dont have to worry about him and got a proven, gritty, shutdown D man and a secound round pick for next to nothing. Why dont you think that is good work? There are other teams with deep pockets its not as if no one else could have pulled this off but Darcy did and looking back I think its pretty amazing that he did.

I agree. It makes a GM's job much easier when you can take on contracts the other team is looking to dump, and then bury the player in the AHL or Europe for cap relief.

On paper, the Leino, Ehrhoff & Regehr moves look good, but let's see how the season plays out before nominating DR for NHL Executive of the Year.

Why wait, several posters had no problem placing all the blame on Darcy when he didn't have the tools so why not praise him now when he is using everything he has to work with. I've never been the biggest Darcy Regier fan but some people lined up to take cheap shots at him when Tommy G himself said his only directive was to ensure the team made money.

So? He got to take a horrible contract that we dont mind paying send him to Europe so we dont have to worry about him and got a proven, gritty, shutdown D man and a secound round pick for next to nothing. Why dont you think that is good work? There are other teams with deep pockets its not as if no one else could have pulled this off but Darcy did and looking back I think its pretty amazing that he did.

If I'm not mistaken his point was that the ability to swallow a large contract is a luxury that he didn't have before, so he didn't need the same shrewdness he needed with previous trades.

Did I say it wasn't good work? All I'm saying is that I'm probably more impressed when someone creates some crazy computer generated graphics on an Apple IIe as opposed to when he does the same thing on a modern day mac.

Edit: And Derrico, I was never one of those people, so I can sleep at night with what I just said. I like the trade quite a bit, but personally, I can't put it up there with those earlier ones... yet.

Why wait, several posters had no problem placing all the blame on Darcy when he didn't have the tools so why not praise him now when he is using everything he has to work with. I've never been the biggest Darcy Regier fan but some people lined up to take cheap shots at him when Tommy G himself said his only directive was to ensure the team made money.

I only speak for myself, not "several posters"....

I said the moves look good on paper. What more can I say at this point? Do you know for sure how much Regehr has left in the tank? Do you know for sure that Leino is going to make a successful transition to center? Do you know for sure that Ehrhoff is going to be a PP success now that he isn't on the PP with the Sedin twins?

Forgive me if I don't give DR an A+ based on the 2 game sample of the 11-12 season.

PS Don't make it seem like Regier was spending 10 mil during the OSP era when every other team was spending 70 or 80 mil. He was the one that negotiated some of the bloated contracts the Sabres have today, but I was not supposed to criticize him for that in past years?

Also, who was it that pulled the string on the useless deadline deals of Moore & Torres?

Did I say it wasn't good work? All I'm saying is that I'm probably more impressed when someone creates some crazy computer generated graphics on an Apple IIe as opposed to when he does the same thing on a modern day mac.

Edit: And Derrico, I was never one of those people, so I can sleep at night with what I just said. I like the trade quite a bit, but personally, I can't put it up there with those earlier ones... yet.

hmmm... i can see that, i loved the drury and briere deals even though i was a big gratton fan but I think i was most impressed with this deal initially we will see what i think looking back after the season but i expect big things

I only speak for myself, not "several posters"....

I said the moves look good on paper. What more can I say at this point? Do you know for sure how much Regehr has left in the tank? Do you know for sure that Leino is going to make a successful transition to center? Do you know for sure that Ehrhoff is going to be a PP success now that he isn't on the PP with the Sedin twins?

Forgive me if I don't give DR an A+ based on the 2 game sample of the 11-12 season.

PS Don't make it seem like Regier was spending 10 mil during the OSP era when every other team was spending 70 or 80 mil. He was the one that negotiated some of the bloated contracts the Sabres have today, but I was not supposed to criticize him for that in past years?

Also, who was it that pulled the string on the useless deadline deals of Moore & Torres?

And Zubrus, and Bernier, and Telqvist... :sick:

And Zubrus, and Bernier, and Telqvist... :sick:

Zubrus was a good piece at the time. Bernier was a toss in - the real value in that trade was the first round pick. Telqvist was a necessary evil because Miller was still out injured due to the Gomez cheapshot, and we needed a back up.

I'm all for hoisting Regier on his own petard, but the three you mention weren't bad trades at the time. Have you ever heard of Bob Corkum?

Take a look at his trade deadline track record from 1998-2007. You know the more recent history. There is plenty of meat to pick on these bones.

3-24-98

► Acquired Paul Kruse and Jason Holland from the N.Y. Islanders in exchange for Jason Dawe.

3-11-99

► Acquired Stu Barnes from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Matthew Barnaby.

3-23-99

► Acquired Joe Juneau and a 1999 third-round draft choice (Tim Preston) from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Alexei Tezikov.

► Traded Mike Wilson to the Florida Panthers in exchange for Rhett Warrener

and a 1999 fifth-round draft choice (Ryan Miller).

► Traded Derek Plante to the Dallas Stars in exchange for a 1999 second-round draft choice (Michael Zigomanis).

3-10-00

► Acquired Chris Gratton and a second-round draft choice in 2001 from Tampa Bay in exchange for Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger, Cory Sarich and a third-round selection in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

Acquired Doug Gilmour and Jean-Pierre Dumont from Chicago in exchange for Michal Grosek.

3-13-01

► Acquired RW Donald Audette from Atlanta for C Kamil Piros and a fourth-round pick in 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired Steve Heinze from Columbus for a third-round draft pick in 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

3-19-02

► Acquired Bob Corkum from Atlanta for a fifth-round draft pick in 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

3-10-03

► Acquired C Jakub Klepis from Ottawa in exchange for RW Vaclav Varada and a fifth-round draft pick in 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

► Traded C Stu Barnes to Dallas for C Mike Ryan and a second-round draft pick in 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

► Traded RW Rob Ray to Ottawa for future considerations.

3-11-03

► Acquired C Daniel Briere and Phoenix's third-round selection in 2004 NHL Entry Draft for C Chris Gratton and Buffalo's fourth-round choice in 2004 Entry Draft.

3-08-04

► Acquired D Brad Brown and a sixth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft from Minnesota in exchange for a fourth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

3-09-04

► Acquired D Jeff Jillson and a ninth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft from San Jose in exchange for C Curtis Brown and D Andy Delmore.

► Acquired RW Mike Grier from Washington in exchange for Jakub Klepis.

3-09-06

► Traded G Mika Noronen to Vancouver in exchange for a second-round selection in 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

2-27-07

► Traded G Martin Biron to Philadelphia in exchange for a second-round selection in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired G Ty Conklin from Columbus in exchange for a fifth-round selection in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired Mikko Lehtonen from Nashville Predators in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired right winger Dainius Zubrus and defenseman Timo Helbling from Washington Capitals in exchange for left winger Jiri Novotny and a first-round draft pick in 2007 NHL Entry Drafts.

Zubrus was a good piece at the time. Bernier was a toss in - the real value in that trade was the first round pick. Telqvist was a necessary evil because we traded Biron and needed a back up.

I'm all for hoisting Regier on his own petard, but the three you mention weren't bad trades at the time. Have you ever heard of Bob Corkum?

Take a look at his trade deadline track record from 1998-2007. You know the more recent history. There is plenty of meat to pick on these bones.

3-24-98

► Acquired Paul Kruse and Jason Holland from the N.Y. Islanders in exchange for Jason Dawe.

3-11-99

► Acquired Stu Barnes from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Matthew Barnaby.

3-23-99

► Acquired Joe Juneau and a 1999 third-round draft choice (Tim Preston) from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Alexei Tezikov.

► Traded Mike Wilson to the Florida Panthers in exchange for Rhett Warrener

and a 1999 fifth-round draft choice (Ryan Miller).

► Traded Derek Plante to the Dallas Stars in exchange for a 1999 second-round draft choice (Michael Zigomanis).

3-10-00

► Acquired Chris Gratton and a second-round draft choice in 2001 from Tampa Bay in exchange for Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger, Cory Sarich and a third-round selection in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

Acquired Doug Gilmour and Jean-Pierre Dumont from Chicago in exchange for Michal Grosek.

3-13-01

► Acquired RW Donald Audette from Atlanta for C Kamil Piros and a fourth-round pick in 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired Steve Heinze from Columbus for a third-round draft pick in 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

3-19-02

► Acquired Bob Corkum from Atlanta for a fifth-round draft pick in 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

3-10-03

► Acquired C Jakub Klepis from Ottawa in exchange for RW Vaclav Varada and a fifth-round draft pick in 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

► Traded C Stu Barnes to Dallas for C Mike Ryan and a second-round draft pick in 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

► Traded RW Rob Ray to Ottawa for future considerations.

3-11-03

► Acquired C Daniel Briere and Phoenix's third-round selection in 2004 NHL Entry Draft for C Chris Gratton and Buffalo's fourth-round choice in 2004 Entry Draft.

3-08-04

► Acquired D Brad Brown and a sixth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft from Minnesota in exchange for a fourth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

3-09-04

► Acquired D Jeff Jillson and a ninth-round selection in 2005 NHL Entry Draft from San Jose in exchange for C Curtis Brown and D Andy Delmore.

► Acquired RW Mike Grier from Washington in exchange for Jakub Klepis.

3-09-06

► Traded G Mika Noronen to Vancouver in exchange for a second-round selection in 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

2-27-07

► Traded G Martin Biron to Philadelphia in exchange for a second-round selection in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired G Ty Conklin from Columbus in exchange for a fifth-round selection in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired Mikko Lehtonen from Nashville Predators in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick in 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

► Acquired right winger Dainius Zubrus and defenseman Timo Helbling from Washington Capitals in exchange for left winger Jiri Novotny and a first-round draft pick in 2007 NHL Entry Drafts.

They might not have been bad trades, but they were useless acquisitions and added nothing to our team.

They might not have been bad trades, but they were useless acquisitions and added nothing to our team.

I would call Zubrus a very good pickup. He had 8 assists (but no goals) in 15 playoff games for Buffalo, but was hobbled pretty severely in the last game he played. We lost him in the Ottawa series due to injury. He provided a big body at the center position and was a scoring threat. He scored 60 points (24, 36) in 79 games that year in the regular season.

I would call Zubrus a very good pickup. He had 8 assists (but no goals) in 15 playoff games for Buffalo, but was hobbled pretty severely in the last game he played. We lost him in the Ottawa series due to injury. He provided a big body at the center position and was a scoring threat. He scored 60 points (24, 36) in 79 games that year in the regular season.

He really did a nice job on Jagr in the playoffs. He had a body on him almost every shift.

The sin was in not re-signing zubrus for modest money before he went to market. He might have been the 2 pts Buffalo needed in 2007-08.

He really did a nice job on Jagr in the playoffs. He had a body on him almost every shift.

The sin was in not re-signing zubrus for modest money before he went to market. He might have been the 2 pts Buffalo needed in 2007-08.

Yup. Did a great job defensively, too.

Woha there big fella. I'm not trying to make it seem like anything. I merely made the point that we can't take credit away from Darcy now that he has more resources. Furthermore, we don't know how much Larry Quinn or those other guys were involved in trade talks.

As for this deadline talk, it means little to me. As Darcy himself stated, the offseason is the time to build your team. Darcy really didn't give up much for those boarderline deals.

No we can't say how great these trades/signings will work out after just two games but I'm a heck of alot more excited this season after those moves than before.

Feaster needed something to show that it wasn't just a multimillion salary dump.

The coup was Darcy getting the 2nd rounder to pocket for trade deadline.

Thatr just might be the 33rd pick.

In a draft that is supposed to be very deep...I'm relishing that pick.

hmmm... i can see that, i loved the drury and briere deals even though i was a big gratton fan but I think i was most impressed with this deal initially we will see what i think looking back after the season but i expect big things

?? I think the fan club meetings must have been pretty lonely.

Who? Zubrus? Nonsense.

I agree with both of these posts. Zubrus was a very good pickup that year and losing him in the playoffs was a big loss.

As for losing him to free agency, I don't the Sabres had a chance to keep him. When the Sabres got him, he was only a few months away from UFA status. Someone was going to overspend for him -- and it turned out to be another in a series of bonehead post-lockout deals by Lamoriello.

Out of curiosity, what did you think about his decision to finally get physical against a team not wearing orange about 4 seconds after a whistle in the Sabres' end in game 7 in '01? The fan club meeting might have had a couple of members call in sick that Monday.

Zubrus was a great pickup and I was extremely disappointed when the Sabres made no effort at all to keep him around for the next year.

As X mentioned, he probably would have gotten them into the dance the next year.

Zubrus was a great pickup and I was extremely disappointed when the Sabres made no effort at all to keep him around for the next year.

As X mentioned, he probably would have gotten them into the dance the next year.

I agree with you. The Sabres are always looking for big guys to go to the net because we always seem to have undersized players. (we also seem to always compare ourselves to the Flyers) Zubrus seemed to fit the bill. I was disappointed that they didn't pursue him.

Archived