Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

I love, love a good hip check. Dean Melanson of Amerks fame was a monster hip checker. Under used IMHO.

Depends how low you go.

I seem to recall Mike Robitaille admitting in an interview that he injured quite a few players with his hip check.

Anyone remember Darius Kasperitis hurting knees with his hip checks?

I seem to recall Mike Robitaille admitting in an interview that he injured quite a few players with his hip check.

Anyone remember Darius Kasperitis hurting knees with his hip checks?

He blew up Roy or Connolly, I forget who, with the Pens. Targeted the knees.

But most of his dirty work was pre-lockout.

Wait, maybe it was while he was with the Rangers.

edit: Google is the new memory - found it

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E5D7103FF935A15752C0A9609C8B63

i think guys use it sparingly because it is technically difficult to pull off and has a high risk if you miss (you are left with your ass hanging in air and the guy is past you).

I can't count the number of times I've had guys lined up for one in my beer league but had to pass on it. If you catch a guy skating up the middle with his head down, it's basically the perfect time. Unfortunately we're still in the middle of the culture of attempting to knock people out with high hard checks. If they're serious about the contact to the head stuff, you're going to see a major resurgence of the hip check.

I can't count the number of times I've had guys lined up for one in my beer league but had to pass on it. If you catch a guy skating up the middle with his head down, it's basically the perfect time. Unfortunately we're still in the middle of the culture of attempting to knock people out with high hard checks. If they're serious about the contact to the head stuff, you're going to see a major resurgence of the hip check.

for whatever reason, i didn't realize that you play.

i don't.

to my experience, the hip check seems most prevalent when the d-man can use the boards to eliminate the other guy's path of escape (or, to use my all-time favorite hockey term (one that has fallen into dis-use), "rub him out along the boards").

for whatever reason, i didn't realize that you play.

i don't.

to my experience, the hip check seems most prevalent when the d-man can use the boards to eliminate the other guy's path of escape (or, to use my all-time favorite hockey term (one that has fallen into dis-use), "rub him out along the boards").

The open ice one is more of an option when someone has their head down. So obviously it isn't as likely in the NHL as it is in a crappy beer league. Still, if you want to avoid hitting someone in the head, I can think of no better way than leading with the hip. If by some chance you managed to throw a hip check to the head, I'm pretty sure the league would look the other way.

i think guys use it sparingly because it is technically difficult to pull off and has a high risk if you miss (you are left with your ass hanging in air and the guy is past you).

Like Ehrhoff did during one of the preseason games. Tried for one at the center of the Sabres' blue line, but missed. If I remember right, the puck ended up in the net.

Absolutely. It's exciting to see someone like Regehr on the team with an uncanny ability to line them up. I think McNabb may have this as well, maybe Weber too.

The open ice one is more of an option when someone has their head down. So obviously it isn't as likely in the NHL as it is in a crappy beer league. Still, if you want to avoid hitting someone in the head, I can think of no better way than leading with the hip. If by some chance you managed to throw a hip check to the head, I'm pretty sure the league would look the other way.

The biggest reason the hip check has gone away is it is often miscalled by refs as kneeing. Zhitnik used to throw textbook hipchecks and he got called for far more than his fair share of kneeings.

If the league is serious about taking headshots out of the game but still keeping hitting in it, they will almost have to go back to a 70's interpretation of what is a legal hip check. (Which is a good thing. Few things in the game cooler than a well timed open ice hip check.)

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on Regehr's wiki page...

Regehr was born in Brazil, and spent his early childhood in Indonesia before his parents settled back in Canada. At 19, he was the youngest nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy in NHL history after he made his NHL debut less than four months after suffering two broken legs in a serious automobile accident.

I don't know what's more interesting. Being born in Brazil, childhood in Indonesia, or breaking both your legs 4 months prior to beginning your NHL career.

PS Note to Sabres webmaster...nice job on the player bios. Paging Ted Black...

PS2 Hopefully Regehr has Cup fever. He was only to the playoffs 4 times in 11 years with Calgary, and other than 03-04 when they lost in the Cup finals, hasn't been on the winning side in a playoff series.

Found this on Regehr's wiki page...

Regehr was born in Brazil, and spent his early childhood in Indonesia before his parents settled back in Canada. At 19, he was the youngest nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy in NHL history after he made his NHL debut less than four months after suffering two broken legs in a serious automobile accident.

I don't know what's more interesting. Being born in Brazil, childhood in Indonesia, or breaking both your legs 4 months prior to beginning your NHL career.

PS Note to Sabres webmaster...nice job on the player bios. Paging Ted Black...

PS2 Hopefully Regehr has Cup fever. He was only to the playoffs 4 times in 11 years with Calgary, and other than 03-04 when they lost in the Cup finals, hasn't been on the winning side in a playoff series.

Is it bad that I somehow want to turn that into a Ronan Tynan joke?

Archived