OT - Osama bin Laden Confirmed Dead

Taro T

Call me a bleeding heart liberal if you must (I really don't care), but I will never celebrate the murder of another human being, no matter who it is. Was this a necessary evil? Maybe. But I will never celebrate it.

I feel a little like this. It seems barbaric to celebrate, although I am VERY relieved that this horrible beast will never be directly responsible for any terrorist act ever again.

Call me a bleeding heart liberal if you must (I really don't care), but I will never celebrate the murder of another human being, no matter who it is. Was this a necessary evil? Maybe. But I will never celebrate it.

I'm usually with you on this one, but this is the rare case where I just don't care.

Link

First strands on bin Laden gathered in CIA prison

(AP) – 49 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say CIA interrogators in secret overseas prisons developed the first strands of information that ultimately led to the killing of Osama bin Laden.

Current and former U.S. officials say that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, provided the nom de guerre of one of bin Laden's most trusted aides. The CIA got similar information from Mohammed's successor, Abu Faraj al-Libi. Both were subjected to harsh interrogation tactics inside CIA prisons in Poland and Romania.

You know everyone in Cheektowaga is psyched about this.

Oh no! I think we need to reanimate bin Laden. It's not fair or cool to get information by torturing people. Obama's the Messiah, he can raise the dead, no?

8 years to the day after "Mission Accomplished"

I knew I would not have to read very far on this thread before someone had to politicize this event - the killing of this SOB goes way beyond any political persuasion. Truly sad someone had to take a jab like this but I guess it's not a shocker

I knew I would not have to read very far on this thread before someone had to politicize this event - the killing of this SOB goes way beyond any political persuasion. Truly sad someone had to take a jab like this but I guess it's not a shocker

Anyone who wants to make this partisan should remember that the hunt for Bin Laden spanned THREE administrations, and that the lead that finally led to yesterday was several years in the making. We'll probably never know the names of the people who were most critical to this operation.

I'm glad we Americans weren't cheated of the chance to send an American made bullet, through an American made gun fired by American Special Forces through that Saudi-made brain. It would have been plain awful to know he passed quietly in his sleep.

But the job ain't done. Ayman Al-Zawahiri and Mohammad Omar need one each Special Forces bullets too. Just one each, as it would be a shame to waste good American bullets.

I was wondering if I'd get flamed for posting "RIP"

I was wondering if I'd get flamed for posting "RIP"

Don't know.

Either way, I doubt he's getting much 'peace' w/ the 72 Rosie O'Donnell's probably all chiming in @ once. (And probably way more 'piece' than he bargained for.) Dude should have read the fine print on that '72 virgin' thingy. Could have saved several thousand lives and a few hundred billion dineros.

Don't know.

Either way, I doubt he's getting much 'peace' w/ the 72 Rosie O'Donnell's probably all chiming in @ once. (And probably way more 'piece' than he bargained for.) Dude should have read the fine print on that '72 virgin' thingy. Could have saved several thousand lives and a few hundred billion dineros.

See, I just assumed it was 72 gay virgins.

Anyone who wants to make this partisan should remember that the hunt for Bin Laden spanned THREE administrations, and that the lead that finally led to yesterday was several years in the making. We'll probably never know the names of the people who were most critical to this operation.

Great observation, though I am not thrilled that the MSM will somehow spin this operation as a full credit only to Obama, and may go so far as to make this a central plank to hi re-election campaign. That would be manipulation & exploitation, whereas this conclusion should be a victory for all America., esp. those who lost loved ones at the hand of this mass murderer.

It seems to me that the Obama Administration does deserve more than its share of credit. I mean the tip that led to Bin Laden's death came on his watch after he had directed the CIA to locate Bin Laden. Bush had 8 years and seemed to just be throwing darts at a map. To say that he deserves any credit is a bit of a stretch. Completely stripping the Administration of credit is just a manipulative in that it discounts their role.

And if you've seen the poles, 56% of Republican voters have yet to side with any of the names currently out there for the Republican nomination. Don't really think we need to play this up to get Obama re-elected.

It seems to me that the Obama Administration does deserve more than its share of credit. I mean the tip that led to Bin Laden's death came on his watch after he had directed the CIA to locate Bin Laden. Bush had 8 years and seemed to just be throwing darts at a map. To say that he deserves any credit is a bit of a stretch. Completely stripping the Administration of credit is just a manipulative in that it discounts their role.

I'm pretty sure the CIA had orders to locate Bin Laden before Obama came into the White House. Actually, before Bush 43 came into the White House.

And we know Bush wasn't "throwing darts" at a map. The info that led to this started with Khalid Sheik Muhammad, who was interrogated in a CIA "secret prison" in Europe before being moved to Guantanamo. They were following leads that came from Bush Administration policies. Obama deserves credit for following through and giving the green light for a risky operation, but it's not like he reinvented the wheel.

And if you've seen the poles, 56% of Republican voters have yet to side with any of the names currently out there for the Republican nomination. Don't really think we need to play this up to get Obama re-elected.

The 2012 election is 18 months away. That's multiple lifetimes in politics. Obama will be re-elected or not re-elected based on the same issues that were important last week: deficits, debt, energy, unemployment, economy, etc.

Sorry, I haven't seen the "poles" - what does a lack of Republican voter alignment with current nominees have anything at all with Obama's re-election viability? In terms of the election/campaign chronology, this discussion is light years away.

And unless you have specific insider info pertaining to this operation and the CIA's location of UBL based upon long-standing intelligence, I don't think your premise of crediting Obama while discounting Bush is pure fallacy. There is no conceivable way that the CIA only acted after Obama's direction; as has been pointed out earlier on this thread, the run-up to this operation spanned across 3 Administrations. I have no problem crediting Obama for green-lighting this operation, but doing so at the expense of his predecessors seems, again, quite partisan.

Sorry, I haven't seen the "poles" - what does a lack of Republican voter alignment with current nominees have anything at all with Obama's re-election viability? In terms of the election/campaign chronology, this discussion is light years away.

And unless you have specific insider info pertaining to this operation and the CIA's location of UBL based upon long-standing intelligence, I don't think your premise of crediting Obama while discounting Bush is pure fallacy. There is no conceivable way that the CIA only acted after Obama's direction; as has been pointed out earlier on this thread, the run-up to this operation spanned across 3 Administrations. I have no problem crediting Obama for green-lighting this operation, but doing so at the expense of his predecessors seems, again, quite partisan.

corrected

Link

You know everyone in Cheektowaga is psyched about this.

This is very interesting. I am originally from Poland and to this day, Polish politicians have denied that they jailed any one for the CIA and the supposed "CIA Prisons" never existed.

So, while it's obviously the Polish government has lied about them, but, this won't be a "proud" moment for Poland because it's proof the people were lied to and the government will not leak it into the Polish news because they won't contradict themselves. Nobody in Poland will learn about this from the mainstream media.

give it a rest. when someone says a job is done, and then 8 years later someone else actually does it, they deserve a jab. FDR never would have hung a banner that said "Mission Accomplished" if they didn't have Hitler in a bag. (not that the mission is actually accomplished)

give it a rest. when someone says a job is done, and then 8 years later someone else actually does it, they deserve a jab. FDR never would have hung a banner that said "Mission Accomplished" if they didn't have Hitler in a bag. (not that the mission is actually accomplished)

1. You're referring to two different jobs (Finding Osama, the War in Iraq).

2. The "Mission Accomplished" banner was requested by the crew of the ship, which was returning home from combat. The WH shouldn't have gone with it but it shouldn't have become the silly talking point that it did.

Archived