OT - Osama bin Laden Confirmed Dead

Taro T

And for those laughing, i hope you guys know that Jimmy Carter SUPPORTED Osama Bin Laden for about 10 years, during the Soviet invasion. We gave Osama the tools to succeed, money, weapons, and intel. It's very doubtful, a dude who was helped be the USA for 10 years, would just wake up one morning and hate us. There must be something much deeper. Something must of ticked him off. Maybe (i doubt it) i'm wrong, but, he definitely did not wake up one day with a hate towards us.

I'd like to point out the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan was in 1980 thru 1989. Carter wasn't exactly president for much of that.

On a side note, watch the end of Rambo 3. That movie is all about praising the Taliban and Afghanistan.

I'd like to point out the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan was in 1980 thru 1989. Carter wasn't exactly president for much of that.

On a side note, watch the end of Rambo 3. That movie is all about praising the Taliban and Afghanistan.

True. They were Reagan's Freedom Fighters.

Am I the only one that thinks there isn't a bigger waste of time than arguing religion and politics with a bunch of strangers, let alone people you know?

Most people have strong opinions on the subjects and nobody is going to change their point of view.

I will now go back to figuring out how to get Stamkos to Buffalo. :rolleyes:

Arguing/debating topics is one of the best ways people can learn. I don't do it often online, but i respect their opinions and their view of point, but learning about current events and the worlds history is much more significant for someone then talking like we're all hot shot general managers of the Buffalo Sabres. Now, i love talking hockey and Sabres, with anyone who would listen, but i also like keep myself educated on the world events.

In this thread, it isn't so much "me vs. him", because theres many different view points and different reasons for actions.

True. They were Reagan's Freedom Fighters.

No.

I'm sure they all look alike to us, but the Afghans fighting the Soviets were not all the same. The Taliban was NOT who were helping during the 1980's. The leader most responsible for defeating the Soviets was Ahmad Massoud, and the Taliban/Al Qaeda made sure to kill him before 9/11.

The Taliban didn't even come into power until 1996. After the communist government fell, there was a major power struggle in that country for years that led up to their emergence. And it didn't end when they took power because they were still fighting when 9/11 happened (see: Massoud and the Northern Alliance).

Seriously, read some books. This information is out there. I can't believe how many times I've had to listen to someone tell me "We helped the Taliban!! They were our allies!!!!" No, we really didn't.

No.

I'm sure they all look alike to us, but the Afghans fighting the Soviets were not all the same. The Taliban was NOT who were helping during the 1980's. The leader most responsible for defeating the Soviets was Ahmad Massoud, and the Taliban/Al Qaeda made sure to kill him before 9/11.

The Taliban didn't even come into power until 1996. After the communist government fell, there was a major power struggle in that country for years that led up to their emergence. And it didn't end when they took power because they were still fighting when 9/11 happened (see: Massoud and the Northern Alliance).

Seriously, read some books. This information is out there. I can't believe how many times I've had to listen to someone tell me "We helped the Taliban!! They were our allies!!!!" No, we really didn't.

Nope, you got me. The Taliban didn't exist in the 80s. I'd argue, however, that many of the same people were involved. Like saying "Sabres fans didn't exist in the 1960s", it paints an incomplete picture since they all called themselves Bisons fans back then.

Am I the only one that thinks there isn't a bigger waste of time than arguing religion and politics with a bunch of strangers, let alone people you know?

Most people have strong opinions on the subjects and nobody is going to change their point of view.

I will now go back to figuring out how to get Stamkos to Buffalo. :rolleyes:

If Obama can get Osama than Regier can get Stamkos' booty here.

Well...it's all pretty nebulous really...the Mujahideen was never really one thing...you could make a case that the Taliban came out of the Mujahideen...but it's inexact.

The CIA was helping tribal warlords because it was part of our Cold War agenda.

Some of those cats had their own agendas too.

Nope, you got me. The Taliban didn't exist in the 80s. I'd argue, however, that many of the same people were involved. Like saying "Sabres fans didn't exist in the 1960s", it paints an incomplete picture since they all called themselves Bisons fans back then.

Not really. The movement itself didn't start until *after* the Soviet war was over and in response to corruption from the groups that seized power in the wake of that war. And it was a student movement built around religious fanaticism that had little to do with the beliefs of the Afghans fighting the Soviets in the 1980's. So, yes, some of them fought against the Soviets in the 1980's (like Mullah Omar) but the actual philosophy behind that movement didn't exist until after that war.

Well...it's all pretty nebulous really...the Mujahideen was never really one thing...you could make a case that the Taliban came out of the Mujahideen...but it's inexact.

The CIA was helping tribal warlords because it was part of our Cold War agenda.

Some of those cats had their own agendas too.

That's exactly what it was. Unfortunately, there was no plan for what to do after the Soviets lost and left. So the country descended into a power struggle and the Afghan government/leadership that took over was corrupt and inept. The Taliban formed in response to that and were initially popular (probably because they seemed "pious" by comparison).

They were an unintended consequence of the Afghans defeating the Soviets in the 1980's, but philosophically they didn't have much in common with the guys we were sending weapons to in the 1980's.

So what you're saying is that instead of blaming Carter/Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama, we should really be blaming Stallone?

they used to be good now they're bad

We will never know exactly what happened or if it happened or when if happened......

Obviously you're referring to Tim Connolly somehow ending up with a black eye after attending Ryan Miller's fashion show for charity last Fall.

Archived