GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I believe Versus is now carrying the game so MSG will be blakced out on CI unless your in sabres home area

Argh, I was afraid of that. Go figure... I'm finally free in the evenings to watch hockey again and the Center Ice package I paid for has thus far allowed me to see only ONE of the Sabres' first round games. :(

This just in, per WGR: "After Game 6 Lindy Ruff said Derek Roy would replace the injured Tim Connolly in the lineup. On Monday Ruff said, "I don't even know if he's playing yet, so I don't know what to expect." When told he already said Roy is playing the coach responded, "I was hopeful, but I don't know we'll see."

http://wgr550.com/Sa...-on-Roy/9696216

Gamesmanship, indeed.

Argh, I was afraid of that. Go figure... I'm finally free in the evenings to watch hockey again and the Center Ice package I paid for has thus far allowed me to see only ONE of the Sabres' first round games. :(

hockeystreams.com worked great for me yesterday. $6.99 for a one-day pass. I watched fine on a wireless connection on a laptop at my Aunt's house.

Assuming Roy comes back, my plan for tomorrow night would be to create a line of Vanek-Roy-Gerbe. Put your only above-average center with your two most dynamic scorers, and try to create a superline that can generate some offense against Philadelphia 5-on-5. This line will probably not be the most defensively responsible line in the world but I'm willing to risk it if we can finally have a line that gives Philly problems. It's worth a try with the Flyers dictating the play most of this series.

This is the hockey equivalent of risking the entire Rebel Fleet in a desperate attack on the Death Star that hinges on a small team of commandos taking out the shield generator on Endor.

I can't wait to see what the lines are going to be. If sekera, roy and hecht can be back for tomorrow there are so many great options to go with. What will the lines be???

The Sabres definitely need at least 1 of Roy +/or Hecht tomorrow (or it will be serious nail biting time), but I'm not so certain that Sekera is what the team needs tomorrow. The Phlyers will be coming hard down low at Miller and that isn't the part of the game that Sekera excels at. I think having the 'Full Monty' rather than the 75% Monty we've gotten a couple of these games would be more useful. (Hopefully he finds a way to bring that.)

The pp isn't broken, so I don't want MAG out. Butler isn't going anywhere (much to some posters' chagrin). Weber is about the only D man that has been consistantly physical. Montador can play physical, as can Myers. I don't see Leopold pulled either. (Aside: what happened to his jaw?)

Sekera would help the team be more wide open, but I would rather see them play a tighter game, than try to outscore the Phlyers again. That's only worked once. Keep it tight, keep a serious eye on where Briere is, keep the wings in the zone until you've actually got a breakout pass available, and score on your pp chances (and whatever horrid rebound / strange bank shot that Boucher feels like giving up).

Assuming Roy comes back, my plan for tomorrow night would be to create a line of Vanek-Roy-Gerbe. Put your only above-average center with your two most dynamic scorers, and try to create a superline that can generate some offense against Philadelphia 5-on-5. This line will probably not be the most defensively responsible line in the world but I'm willing to risk it if we can finally have a line that gives Philly problems. It's worth a try with the Flyers dictating the play most of this series.

This is the hockey equivalent of risking the entire Rebel Fleet in a desperate attack on the Death Star that hinges on a small team of commandos taking out the shield generator on Endor.

Lol, the force is strong in this post.......... :thumbsup:

I hope Derek Roy has been training on Dagobah with Yoda.

Roy: "Lindy, is Daniel Briere my father?"

Ruff: "....your father he is."

Roy: "There's still good in him, I can feel it."

Ghost of Rick Martin: "He's more Flyer now than man. Twisted and evil."

Ghost of Rick Martin: "Also, I know this is coming out of nowhere but you and Vanek are brothers. Don't even ask."

This game really could go either way. All I know is:

1. If the Sabres lose and Stafford doesn't produce, I'm not interested in giving him a $4MM+ contract this summer.

2. I know the Sabres have acquitted themselves well in this series even if they lose, but still -- I'll be deeply disappointed if they do.

3. Relying on Roy to be a difference-maker tomorrow night is crazy. He hasn't played for 4 months, and he was terrible in the playoffs last year when he was healthy.

4. Briere has been the best player in this series.

5. Philly is too good on both the forecheck and converting opportunities for the Sabres to try to nurse a lead for an entire period or 2. It might work, but it's a low-percentage game.

6. I had a routine in place involving exercise while wearing a Sabres shirt that coincided with game 4 and game 5 wins. I broke it yesterday due to the holiday (family obligations and traveling) and they lost. Time to recapture that mojo.

7. Although I am feeling pretty gloomy, there is still a reasonably good chance of a win tomorrow night. And if they do it, it will be one of the all-time glorious wins in team history.

Let's go, Buffalo!

Roy: "Lindy, is Daniel Briere my father?"

Ruff: "....your father he is."

Roy: "There's still good in him, I can feel it."

Ghost of Rick Martin: "He's more Flyer now than man. Twisted and evil."

Ghost of Rick Martin: "Also, I know this is coming out of nowhere but you and Vanek are brothers. Don't even ask."

Thanks. That just sent me to Wookiepedia. :lol:

Where's the emoticon with the Darth Vader helmet when you need it?

Here's a key issue: How much of the Flyers' pouring it on after the Sabres take the multiple goal lead in the past two games has been purely a matter of their own strong play after a wake-up call, and how much has been a matter of coaching changes by Lindy and/or Lavi?

I'm wondering whether it's more coaching adjustments than the Flyers' improved in-game performance. What if the Sabres take another early lead again, but keep throwing a good forecheck and pucks at the Flyer net as if it were still 0-0 rather than playing more defensive-minded? We've seen that things tip Philly's way when they get down early (in the recent games), but I'm thinking the best defense here could be a continued aggressive offense.

I was joking about that part. - the news is Kassian is suspended again.

My excitement about Kassian has taken a hit since December. The guy has "headcase" written all over him. He went from averaging about 2 points per game before the WJC to about 1 point per game after and he was benched late in the season for lack of effort. What are the chances he becomes a crabby man-child player who won't respond well to coaching and can't be counted on to show up night in, night out? I like that he's scary but how intimidating will he be at the NHL level? Is this just going to result in lots of undisciplined penalties?

My excitement about Kassian has taken a hit since December. The guy has "headcase" written all over him. He went from averaging about 2 points per game before the WJC to about 1 point per game after and he was benched late in the season for lack of effort. What are the chances he becomes a crabby man-child player who won't respond well to coaching and can't be counted on to show up night in, night out? I like that he's scary but how intimidating will he be at the NHL level? Is this just going to result in lots of undisciplined penalties?

It can work. We can put him on the ice every time we play the Flyers and Bruins so he can destroy people on the ice and then sit for a couple of games.

I've liked what I've seen.

We drafted a wrecking ball.....and he's definitely that. He protects the puck well with that big body. Blows people up with hits. Is mean and nasty and nearly immovable in the crease.

The biggest worry for me is his skating esp. on the backcheck... But with possession he's going to grind defensen's legs down to stumps. They are going to hate playing against him .

Archived