GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Assuming Roy comes back, my plan for tomorrow night would be to create a line of Vanek-Roy-Gerbe. Put your only above-average center with your two most dynamic scorers, and try to create a superline that can generate some offense against Philadelphia 5-on-5. This line will probably not be the most defensively responsible line in the world but I'm willing to risk it if we can finally have a line that gives Philly problems. It's worth a try with the Flyers dictating the play most of this series.

This is the hockey equivalent of risking the entire Rebel Fleet in a desperate attack on the Death Star that hinges on a small team of commandos taking out the shield generator on Endor.

The irony is that the rebels were helped by small fuzzballs called ewoks... right now gerbe, ennis, and roy will be are ewoks... "THATS NO MOON ITS A SPACE STATION"!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the spirit of Number 7 will help Lindy and team win and get 7 goals in the first chasing both goalies out.

Its game 7 of a best of 7 starting during the 7oclock hour with our players wearing stickers paying homage to our fallen #7. If there are hockey gods, now is the time to pray to them.

And for people question this teams mental fortitude, I hope you are all wrong. This team for the first since 05-06 has shown heart in the face of adversity. We have 3 things going for us:

1) Miller, hes played his heart out and has kept us in it.

2) All of our Rookies are fearless and fighters and they have already won games for us.

3) Roy, yup hes been gone for 4 months, but that means that he will be raring to go and I see him contributing in a positive way.

Lets go Buffalo

Assuming Roy comes back, my plan for tomorrow night would be to create a line of Vanek-Roy-Gerbe. Put your only above-average center with your two most dynamic scorers, and try to create a superline that can generate some offense against Philadelphia 5-on-5. This line will probably not be the most defensively responsible line in the world but I'm willing to risk it if we can finally have a line that gives Philly problems. It's worth a try with the Flyers dictating the play most of this series.

This is the hockey equivalent of risking the entire Rebel Fleet in a desperate attack on the Death Star that hinges on a small team of commandos taking out the shield generator on Endor.

Yes. I would love it if we just runned and gunned with the Flyers. Our goaltending is just better, so I can't see how we loose.

If Bouchet, Bobrovshki and Leighten are the Endor Shield, its already been taken out :lol:

Yes. I would love it if we just runned and gunned with the Flyers. Our goaltending is just better, so I can't see how we loose.

If Bouchet, Bobrovshki and Leighten are the Endor Shield, its already been taken out :lol:

Star Wars: Episode 7: The Return of the Roy.

If we win, can we please play the original yub nub song? :thumbsup:

I'm dying here. All I can think about is the team celebrating after the game while this plays in the locker room. Paul Hamilton bouncing around like an Ewok.

I know a couple of people that are making a 7 hour trip down to Philly to the game. They told me they're not going to be wearing any Sabres stuff, they don't want to risk getting beat up. Hopefully they make it out alive.

And Carolina thinks we're rough...

Maybe I'm the only one wondering this, but why haven't the Flyers given Bobrovsky another chance at all this series? I understand having him start Game 7 isn't really realistic, but he WAS their best goalie for most of the year. I mean Lavs went with Leighton Game 6, who'd started all of one game, if I recall correctly, the entire season. Maybe it's a moot point, but I really don't understand it.

I know a couple of people that are making a 7 hour trip down to Philly to the game. They told me they're not going to be wearing any Sabres stuff, they don't want to risk getting beat up. Hopefully they make it out alive.

Well what are they gonna do, just sit on their hands quietly? The guys there are going to realize they're Sabres fans, lol.

1. If the Sabres lose and Stafford doesn't produce, I'm not interested in giving him a $4MM+ contract this summer.

Agreed, unfortunately. I was going to mention prior to Game 6, and Game 6 proved to be even more of the same. He seems to be working hard one shift, but then on others he's floating around, or his hands just don't seem to be working. That said, I LOVED him all season, and never lost faith in him when many here did...

Just got back to Caps Country in Leesburg, Virginia a few hours ago from Buffalo (and my seat in section 307 at HSBC for Game 6) and I had some late night thoughts to jot down to help ease the tension before I attempt to restlessly sleep:

I'm hoping comments made today on WGR by Mike Robitaille and Paul Hamilton are more than merely wishful thinking--- that Derek Roy can perhaps benefit from the adrenaline rush of returning to action, and the long layoff may not really catch up to him for another game or 2. This happened to Marc Savard in the playoffs last year for Boston (he scored a GWG in OT in his first action, then more or less disappeared) and, IIRC, Tim Connolly at the end of the 2006-07 season.

Hecht has been skating hard for 9 days--- coming back from a concussion can be a tricky spot. It took Pommers a long time to recover, and Hecht himself has already had one misfired attempt at a comeback. But if he can play he may be exactly what we're missing in handling Philly's forecheck--- he's particularly good along the boards and in the corners, and he can certainly be trusted to make a smart play with the puck in the defensive zone. We don't need him to make dazzling offensive plays all over the ice, just smart ones at the right times.

I realize it's a hell of a lot hope for, but if they can play at least 10-12 minutes each of effective hockey it would still give us a better chance than Connolly (who of course will be missed on the PK although it fared pretty well without him in the late 2nd and 3rd of Game 6) and Matt Ellis. And that would be an improvement over the team Lindy trotted out on Easter Sunday that nearly advanced the Blue and Gold to face the Caps.

Add in the prospect of Sekera possibly swapping in for Monty, and we may have a hell of a game. Each time they've decided to bunker down and play tight D they've done a good job of thwarting (surviving?) Philly's offensive rushes. Miller has thrived with that style of D (I attribute his Vezina season as much to the tighter style of D we played last year as to Miller himself). It's certainly played out that way in this series.

I feel incredibly confident in this Sabres' team, even though tonight they face elimination--- of course, the Flyers also face elimination. In a series where almost everything is even I'll say this: Philly's staved off elimination once already, now it's our turn to match it. I've got my Rico 'stache and 'burns-- wish I could do more than that!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!

Another 7 appears.... :unsure:

I'd like to see the back liners carrying the puck up ice more, too many times they seemed to stay flat footed in our zone waiting for the Cryers forecheck to attack. Having REGGIE in the lineup would help this but I want to see MYERS moving up ice with the puck, this will force their forecheck to ease up and turn. ROY's been practicing for a week and a half, I know it's not game shape but he's not going in there totally cold either. I'm not sure I want to see ROY and VANEK on the same line, it seems that VANEK has flourished without ROY. HECHT would be of help also, freeing up BOYES to the wing, where hopefully he can contribute.. I wan't to see them being nasty, when they've hit the Cryers they have been successful, keep it up. GO SABRES

Bring on the Caps.

Screw the hoping bit. Buffalo, 2-0, with an empty netter by Gaustad to close it. Vanek gets the other.

WRT to Yub Nub, I just finished watching all six with my boys, Saturday night. What a blast! While I thought the episode I and II were awful when released, they didn't seem half as bad this time through.

So I was just curious about how the teams I've rooted for have fared in winner-take-all series games:

Atlanta Braves since 1991: 3-4

Phoenix Suns since 1993: 4-3

I've only started watching the NHL (and the Sabres, obviously) since around January of 2009, so unfortunately the team hasn't been in such a situation since I started fully watching the sport.

So there it is....at a time where I'm looking at my history to see what kind of history is on our side, if any.....and it's straight down the middle, .500, 7 and 7.

Go figure.

Go Sabres.

Archived