GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I agree with others. Yes, they have better forwards, but it is one game. We have already won 3 games and almost a 4th. This game is more of a battle, but there is no home ice advantage in hockey anymore, and if we get a few early ones again, we can silence the crowd. We are going to have to play more disciplined and play better defense, but when our back has been against the wall this year, we have gotten the job done.

...help our young players A TON moving forward...

Win or lose, our youth will have benefitted from this series. Think about the contributions from 63, 42, 6, 57 & 17 (did I forget anyone?)

It will be a win.

They can do it.

Just like yesterday (42) and Friday (63), the clutch will come from the youth.

The go-to vets need to make their presence felt as well.

Boyes is due after some real good opportunities.

It has been a great run to make the playoffs, an awesome series, and we are not done.

Gut check time.

Just get it done.

Is anyone confident that we will win game 7?

I am.

Dunno why. I know we should have clinched game 6. I know we have lost leads.

However, we have come out and been the better team early. I feel like we can do it again. And this time we will hang on.

Hell, I didn't think we'd make the playoffs and we won every game we needed to win.

Dunno why, but I just have the feeling Game 7 will be over in regulation, and the Sabres will be moving on.

Normally I would like this as well, but the Flyers seem to do alright when one of their goalies flames out and gets pulled out of the game. They've already won TWO games this way this series and sent another to OT.

I also don't think they'll get rattled if they get down 2 or 3 goals. They've proven over and over again that they can come back against us.

I'm not sure how we win this one. I don't trust the Sabres to hold a lead and I don't trust them to stay calm if they're down a goal late (look how they went to pieces with a five minute powerplay earlier in the series). Maybe we break a tie game late in the third period like in Game 1?

The only way I see it is it has to be like game 1. Miller gets the 1-0 shutout. You have to think that Laviolette might be hoping for another game where the Sabres chase the goalie in the first. Both teams just start playing totally different games after that happens.

Sounds like no discipline for Richards. The league botches another one.

I had a pretty good view of this hit yesterday. Such a gutless on ice call. 2 minute minor.

I've come to this conclusion. If someone makes that hit there needs to be a physical response no matter what the situation.

If a Sabre went and throttled Richards after that hit, the refs then have cover to penalize Richards:

An offsetting minor for roughing, a major for boarding, and an ejection. And the fight brings a league investigation.

What we got. Not even a phone call from Campbell. <_<

The Flyers are just the better team. Seriously, they're rotating three back-up goalies and taking us to Game 7. That's unreal. Nobody should lose a playoff series to a team that has had to pull their goalie in THREE games and has had three different goalies start games (and not for injuries).

Plus the Sabres have no killer instinct. We let up after a 2-0 lead and after a 3-1 lead yesterday, after blowing a 3-0 lead on Friday. Is anyone worse at holding a lead than us?

The only good news I can think of is that we *might* have a center with some scoring ability for the first time since December with Roy coming back. I don't think Connolly or Gaustad is ever going to score a playoff goal again, and their passes are usually way off the mark as well.

Goaltenders are part of the team however, and therefore have been the equalizer for these two teams during this series.

Paul Hamilton saying Roy, Hecht and Sekera are at practice today, will find out more after practice. Roy is IN.

Grier and Kaleta not at practice.

Oy -- hopefully just a "maintenance day" for both.

I'm actually fairly confident we can win game 7 in Philly... what I'm more concerned about is what happens after that. We haven't matched up all that well with Washington in the past, and with them finishing their round 1 series early and the Sabres going through a 7-game grind (and bodies dropping left and right), they might get destroyed by the Caps if they make it to round 2. I sure hope I'm wrong, though.

Oy -- hopefully just a "maintenance day" for both.

I'm actually fairly confident we can win game 7 in Philly... what I'm more concerned about is what happens after that. We haven't matched up all that well with Washington in the past, and with them finishing their round 1 series early and the Sabres going through a 7-game grind (and bodies dropping left and right), they might get destroyed by the Caps if they make it to round 2. I sure hope I'm wrong, though.

If we win tomorrow, I don't care if the Caps sweep us. The last time we won a playoff series was 2007. Plus we'd get more hockey.

Just win tomorrow and I don't care if we get Ovechtricked in round 2.

I had a pretty good view of this hit yesterday. Such a gutless on ice call. 2 minute minor.

I've come to this conclusion. If someone makes that hit there needs to be a physical response no matter what the situation.

If a Sabre went and throttled Richards after that hit, the refs then have cover to penalize Richards:

An offsetting minor for roughing, a major for boarding, and an ejection. And the fight brings a league investigation.

What we got. Not even a phone call from Campbell. <_<

I think you may have stumbled into the reason why the Sabres lost yesterday: they were doing as much as they could to avoid the penalty box. There were several moments that warranted a brawl and/or some retaliation and they instead "took one for the team" as Roby would say. It's possible, because of trying to avoid the box, that they were gripping their sticks too tight.

If stats or previous games mean anything then this is what I'm thinking:

Game 1: Shutout

Game 2: bunch of goals, lost

Game 3: bunch of goals, lost

Game 4: Shutout

Game 5: bunch of goals, won

Game 6: bunch of goals, lost

Game 7: ???

I like what the previous 6 games are point toward in game 7.

I think we just need to put Sekera in for Monty...

I tend to agree. Monty has been brutal at clearing the zone. I have faith Butler will turn it around. Not so sure for Monty.

I guess I would have to say - do we think Sekera will be healthy enough to finish the game? Do the Sabres need to play both Sekera and Montador to have 7 defensemen? Sit Grier? Sit Ellis?

I guess I would have to say - do we think Sekera will be healthy enough to finish the game? Do the Sabres need to play both Sekera and Montador to have 7 defensemen? Sit Grier? Sit Ellis?

If Grier is healthy enough to play, he should play. I like the energy that Ellis and Grier bring to the table. I think they are two of the hardest working players on the ice every shift.

All I can say is I'm glad someone else has to make that decision because it is a tough one

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the Flyers came into this series a (2) seed and the Sabres a (7). We should be thankful there even is a game 7.

That being said, I hope a lot of us are going to be eating our words come tomorrow night.

If stats or previous games mean anything then this is what I'm thinking:

Game 1: Shutout

Game 2: bunch of goals, lost

Game 3: bunch of goals, lost

Game 4: Shutout

Game 5: bunch of goals, won

Game 6: bunch of goals, lost

Game 7: ???

I like what the previous 6 games are point toward in game 7.

Miller's has a couple of "so so" games in a row, although he was a rock at the end of Game 5 heading into OT. He's normally so good at bouncing back after a subpar game so we'll see. If Buffalo wins it will probably be a 1-0 or 2-1 type of game. I gotta believe Boucher is not gonna give up a couple softies again. If Miller is average then we lose easily. Kinda' reminds me of Montreal going into heavily favored Washington for game 7 last season. Everyone knew Halak would have to stand on his head...and he did. The Canadians won the game 2-1 and took the series.

Archived