GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

You should see the stuff they used to say about Briere on their board in 2006. Stuff like how he only succeeds because of the "new NHL" and how they would never want a guy like that on their team.

I know. And they were upset that some guy named "Hasek" up in Buffalo was sent to the AllStar game over Hextall because Buffalo didn't have anyone else to send and each team had to be represented despite Hextall being better...

i saw it right in front of me live, Myers grabbed him and pulled him over

I've watched that clip a few times and I wish he would have kept dragging him to center ice and left him there. The ref got in the way though.

It is all gamesmanship. Nothing more. They want it out there that they aren't happy with the officiating with the hope that the officials give Buffalo more scrutiny. But it's all bluff and bluster. Lindy used to do the same when we played Ottawa in the playoffs. IIRC he did it when we played Toronto too.

Agreed. They have calls or non-calls they aren't happy with, we have Miller getting slashed in the glove twice after he froze the puck last game (by JVR I think) and some phantom or questionable calls in Game 2 to respond with. They can't consistently take liberties with Miller during/after a play and expect to go penalty-free while the Sabres get called for roughing for sticking up for him.

The Richards play on Kaleta was absolutely an elbowing penalty, the only question was 2 or 5 minutes. If that's not a penalty, wouldn't every player in the history of hockey who is about to get checked just get an "accidental" elbow up into the checker's face on a regular basis?

On a different note, I disagree with the claim that the Flyers are clearly the better team in this series. Sure they have a larger group of star players on their roster, particularly at forward, but having a better goalie is often the great equalizer. The Sabres were clearly the better team during the final quarter of the regular season in terms of wins, goals, goals allowed, etc. - by a decent margin actually - and have posted a better record during 2011.

It's fair to say that but for Miller, the Flyers would have a clear edge in the series, but to me that's like saying but for the Flyers' top line or two, the Sabres would have a clear edge in the series. The teams are constructed much differently, but as I see it they are neck-and-neck on the ice. They've just split 4 one-goal games and have the same number of goals scored. Even last night, while the Flyers dominated the third period, the Sabres dominated the first period and really should have netted more than just the one goal.

You may not want to watch Myers' leg bend from Carter's leg on leg:

http://video.thescor...tch/buf-1-phi-0

You know, I looked at that play a few times. Has it been confirmed that Myers' leg was injured? It looked to me like Carter's shoulder smashed into the side of Myers' chin and that could have been the thing that actually shook him up. (The video does look like he took a serious knee shot, too).

The Richards play on Kaleta was absolutely an elbowing penalty, the only question was 2 or 5 minutes. If that's not a penalty, wouldn't every player in the history of hockey who is about to get checked just get an "accidental" elbow up into the checker's face on a regular basis?

Exactly. But I still think that wasn't close to a major penalty. In fact, I didn't expect the refs to call anything on that, so 2 minutes was a bonus.

It's fair to say that but for Miller, the Flyers would have a clear edge in the series, but to me that's like saying but for the Flyers' top line or two, the Sabres would have a clear edge in the series. The teams are constructed much differently, but as I see it they are neck-and-neck on the ice. They've just split 4 one-goal games and have the same number of goals scored. Even last night, while the Flyers dominated the third period, the Sabres dominated the first period and really should have netted more than just the one goal.

This. I think either team could have won each game. There hasn't been a full 60-minute domination by either team in this series. There have been a fair share of posts and lucky bounces to be even throughout the 4 games, too.

The Flyers have more household names because they're on national TV all the time and have 4-5 guys at the top of the stat sheets. The Sabres' have a household name in Miller...perhaps Vanek...but nobody else. That's why a lot of people think the Flyers are the better team.

I'm a bit confused or miffed or both on the posts that are saying Philadelphia has totally outplayed Buffalo for this reason: last night, we spent the entire third period in the Lindy Ruff "prevent defense" mode for nearly the entire third period. Even the five minute power play looked more like we were preventing a breakaway or odd man rush than trying to score a PP goal. What's a word that means more conservative than 'conservative'?

I thought we outplayed Philadelphia in the first period and could have been up 3-0 after one. The second period was slight advantage Philadelphia.

Do I believe Philly has more talent and more veteran experience? Yes. But I don't buy into the Sabres being outplayed for the entire series. Take away the two third periods (games 1 and 4) where we went into a shell to protect the lead, and it's been back-and-forth hockey for the most part.

I'm a bit confused or miffed or both on the posts that are saying Philadelphia has totally outplayed Buffalo for this reason: last night, we spent the entire third period in the Lindy Ruff "prevent defense" mode for nearly the entire third period. Even the five minute power play looked more like we were preventing a breakaway or odd man rush than trying to score a PP goal. What's a word that means more conservative than 'conservative'?

I thought we outplayed Philadelphia in the first period and could have been up 3-0 after one. The second period was slight advantage Philadelphia.

Do I believe Philly has more talent and more veteran experience? Yes. But I don't buy into the Sabres being outplayed for the entire series. Take away the two third periods (games 1 and 4) where we went into a shell to protect the lead, and it's been back-and-forth hockey for the most part.

Republican???

I'm just teasing before this turns into a debate.

No, they were trying to generate offense but couldn't keep the puck in the Filly zone. That was an execution problem, not a strategy problem.

Exactly. But I still think that wasn't close to a major penalty. In fact, I didn't expect the refs to call anything on that, so 2 minutes was a bonus.

How is this not a major penalty? What is the difference between someone elbowing you at full speed or going after someone full speed and getting an elbow put in your face? IMHO this deserves to be looked at by the league as a blatant deliberate elbow to the head of someone.

Republican???

I'm just teasing before this turns into a debate.

Actually I think that would be called "tea partying". So the Sabres were tea partying out there in the 3rd. The Sabres were playing the tea party defense in the 3rd.

Actually I think that would be called "tea partying". So the Sabres were tea partying out there in the 3rd. The Sabres were playing the tea party defense in the 3rd.

This works on multiple fronts. Tea Party denotes the conservative meaning. It also adequately describes what the Sabres were doing for most of the third period: having a tea party while I was having a coronary episode.

I'm a bit confused or miffed or both on the posts that are saying Philadelphia has totally outplayed Buffalo for this reason: last night, we spent the entire third period in the Lindy Ruff "prevent defense" mode for nearly the entire third period.

That was not prevent defense. It was more like running around in their own end like chickens with their heads cut off. They were chasing the Flyers around their own end for long periods of time in the 3rd period.

Prevent defense would be no forechecking, keeping a forward back all the time, etc...

Word is Pronger back in limited role for game 5. Prolly no PP slap shot.

I hope Pronger meets Weber, Weber has serious "I will destroy" mentality going forward and he treats miller likes hes his little baby boy which is cute but awesome. I wonder if sunday a certain canadian born player returns to the sabres lineup...

Archived