GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I've probably been the biggest Weber supporter all year long going back to when everyone wanted him off the team after he had a bad giveaway that cost us a game against Boston.The guy is outstanding. This is the defenseman we've been waiting for.

He's a jerk out there and that's what we want. No hesitation to put a glove in someone's face after the whistle and tough enough to back it up.

Weber is reminding me more and more of Brooks Orpik. He is going to be real difficult to play against next season. he's coming into his own, just like Myers.

Mike Weber has been physcial for a couple months now and I am glad hes slowly starting to get noticed for his awesome work. Did you see him stop whoever it was from beating miller? Miller gave the guy a shove and he got up ready to kill and Weber grabbed him by the face and said "You are the weakest link, goodbye" The kid is defensively sound, makes good passes and I have yet to see him outworked or out muscled anywhere. Hes 6' 2" 211 pds, hes built to beat on things and hes only 23. He would have made the team last year but didnt he get hurt or something in portland? I love Weber and I think I will get a Weber jersey for my B-day.

Glad to get the win. I would love to see us win a game with more offense instead of relying SOLELY on defense/goaltending, but beggers can't be choosers...baby steps :thumbsup:

That's how their upward climb started in January, getting their crap together in the defensive zone. I thought the D was much improved this game.

No I added that I thought it would be obvious but I'll edit it since people seem unsure.

Not the suck it part, but the funniest part was he actually said "Explative", and didn't swear...classic.

Lol i like the suck it part. What was the original question? and I heard him say explative and I started laughing cuz you knew he wanted to say :censored:

Lol i like the suck it part. What was the original question? and I heard him say explative and I started laughing cuz you knew he wanted to say :censored:

It was basically, do you think that a performance like this silenced a lot of critics you've had in the last few days.

He basically said that he had no idea that he was even being criticized the last few days, and then followed up with that gem.

Haha! I've been telling my wife that since November.

check out my avatar I put it up after the philly game in the regular season were we stood around for the final minute... I gave him a beard last week hehe Mike Weber is awesome and I dont care that he doesnt show up on the score sheet because he doesnt show up on the negative side hardly at all, hes a good smart lock down def.

Mike Weber has been physcial for a couple months now and I am glad hes slowly starting to get noticed for his awesome work. Did you see him stop whoever it was from beating miller? Miller gave the guy a shove and he got up ready to kill and Weber grabbed him by the face and said "You are the weakest link, goodbye" The kid is defensively sound, makes good passes and I have yet to see him outworked or out muscled anywhere. Hes 6' 2" 211 pds, hes built to beat on things and hes only 23. He would have made the team last year but didnt he get hurt or something in portland? I love Weber and I think I will get a Weber jersey for my B-day.

I totally agree and thing Tyler Myer was just was brutal and a physical force. I love our young defense!

Love the 90 year old woman on the glass right in front of the fight at the end! :lol:

I even pointed that out to everyone in my house. Not very often you see grandma cheering a fight on

Yup, Miller was indeed clutch tonight.

Reading the Flyers forums they were saying before the series started that Miller would steal some games. He didn't steal games for us, he robbed them! OH BROTHER WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

The smiling Lindy Ruff avatar is pure awesomeness. You're my hero.

I actually got to watch the game. Can't believe it. Thoughts that probably already are in the preceding seventeen pages:

I can criticize the refs again; this time, I think they were too kind to the Sabres. I didn't see the elbow up close, but five minutes seemed severe. And I was sure that some Sabre (it was at the other end, I didn't see who) was getting two for knocking Briere on his ass late in the third, but that didn't happen. The linesmen blew another offsides call where the Sabres would have had a scoring chance.

As long as I'm talking about that elbowing penalty: I can't remember seeing a worse major powerplay ever. I didn't like the boos (come on, it's HOME, in the PLAYOFFS!), but I can't say they weren't deserved.

On the other hand, the crowd was really into it. Even more than Game 3. The several standing Os for Miller were great--and the first one was precipitated by his roughing minor rather than by a save.

I know the HSBC ice is bad. But if Filly doesn't have a player lose an edge every other shift, why do the Sabres? If anything, the home team should be more used to the bad surface.

The Sabres found a way to win, but they played a lot better in a game 2 loss, IMO.

It's safe to assume that the "start Enroth" movement is dead, right? I don't have to go into those threads anymore? People were clamoring that Miller "needed to steal a game" even after he had stolen one. Now he's stolen two. I hope that nonsense is gone for the rest of this season.

Miller had a statement game tonight, but the Waterboy wasn't bad, either, on the few real chances the Sabres had. He deserved his no. 2 star.

The Connolly/Stafford situation has worsened. Now they suck at the same time.

My nerves can't take anymore "Alamo mode" games, but unfortunately, that appears to be the best way for Buffalo to beat Filly in the postseason.

Who were the jackasses on the penalty-bench side of the ice that were throwing bottles, etc. onto the ice after the game? Did they really expect to hit one of the Filly players? And who were the bigger jackasses throwing stuff on the player bench side? If you want to act like a Filly fan, move there or something.

Just like a loss is a loss when the team plays well, a win is a win when the team plays poorly. 2-2, and this series is completely up for grabs. And I still say Sabres in 6.

My nerves can't take anymore "Alamo mode" games, but unfortunately, that appears to be the best way for Buffalo to beat Filly in the postseason.

Oy, tell me about it! The final minute of Game 1 was way worse than Game 4, but those final ~13 minutes after sucking on the 5-minute PP tonight went by SOOOOO slowly.

Some comments:

Myers seems real slow moving along the boards in our own end.

Someone was complaining about Boyes not getting back quick enough to help out on D last game. Well, I noticed him hustling back real well more than once tonight.

Weber's playing tough. How can you not like this guy?

Every single game it seems I have to explain to my clueless housemates why I'm yelling at a man named Connolly all night <_<

http://twitpic.com/4nfl1t

The Good:

Sabres did the hitting in the 1st period, finally finishing checks, and it was the Flyers coughing up the puck - then we went back to playing passive. At least we got up early and were able to try to execute a defensive game, but it made it seem like the ice was tilted to our end most of the game.

I posted earlier that the only way we were going to win was if Miller stole another one for us and he did.

Gerbe - plays like he is 7 foot tall.

I also thought that Myers has been playing small, that he needed to clear the crease and use that size he was blessed with to knock some guys around. He definately played with a playoff edge tonight - flirting with penalties, but still in control. He is a nice guy, but playoff time is the time you leave the nice guy in the locker room. He's so young and so talented; we have the cornerstone to build the rest of our blue line for years to come.

I thought that Vanek played a strong game. He showed a lot of hustle racing back down the ice to back check some guys and the other forwards could learn something from that.

Ennis, I wanted to see him get rid of the puck more often, take shots, pass it, or cycle it deep and he did more of that tonight and he actually had some presence in the game. If he can get away from that habit of trying to stick handle his way through the entire Flyer's zone, simplify his game, and better use his linemates he will have more success.

The Bad:

The Vanek, Goose, and Kaleta line. Goose and Kaleta have been pretty good at getting the puck in deep, forchecking, and cycling it (especially in the first game in Philly), I think Lindy just wanted to see what they could do with Vanek parked on Boucher doorstep. It didn't work very well.

I think a lineup of Niedermayer, Vanek, and Stafford may have more success. At least Neidermayer seems to be the only Sabre with glue on his stick and the ability to gain the Flyers zone without browning his drawers.

Turnovers....turnovers... turnovers, I don't know if they need better tape, sharper skates, or just to screw their heads on straight, but there were more sloppy plays than I could count. Passes to no one, passes into skates, no look passes right out of the Flyers zone, it was so crazy that many times it looked like the rookie Gragnani was the only one playing calm, heads-up hockey and keeping the veterans on this team from royally screwing up.

5 minute power play - 2 low chance shots on goal, one short-handed shot for the Flyers. Need I say more?

Our guys looked like they were rattled when playing in our own zone and that shell mode at the end just messes with my blood pressure.

The Ugly:

Connolly - Ugh, it looked like he was on ludes when he lazily pursued the Flyers clear during the power play, got caught from behind, got his pockets pickes, resulting in a Flyer walking in for a clean shot on our goal. Really.

Sloppy, turnover machine, no heart, no fire, and no hustle. When does the term damaged-goods finally sink in to the management of this team in regards to Tim - he has moments, is good on the penalty kill, but it should take more than that to justify a roster spot at his pay level.

Leopold had his der-t-der moments as well - needs to play smarter in our zone.

Oy, tell me about it! The final minute of Game 1 was way worse than Game 4, but those final ~13 minutes after sucking on the 5-minute PP tonight went by SOOOOO slowly.

Some comments:

Myers seems real slow moving along the boards in our own end.

Someone was complaining about Boyes not getting back quick enough to help out on D last game. Well, I noticed him hustling back real well more than once tonight.

Weber's playing tough. How can you not like this guy?

Every single game it seems I have to explain to my clueless housemates why I'm yelling at a man named Connolly all night <_<

http://twitpic.com/4nfl1t

Myers may be hurting from that knee on knee. Hopefully he's going to be o.k.

Archived