GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Exactly. But I still think that wasn't close to a major penalty. In fact, I didn't expect the refs to call anything on that, so 2 minutes was a bonus.

Here's what I think is happening. Considering that 3 guys have just gotten suspensions for elbows (I think), everything is being stepped up because it's the playoffs. I think you'll be lucky to see a 2 minute elbow call, what used to be a minor will now be a major, and what used to be a major is now going to be a suspension.

Also, I don't think there is anyway that that was not a deliberate elbow. When defending yourself, human nature is going to have you sticking out the forearm across his chest to stop him of flop him backwards, not point your elbow directly into his face.

Edit: Also, here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/richards-caught-by-nhls-elbowing-crack-down/article1994380/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Globe%20on%20Hockey&utm_content=1994380

"Carter, who is suffering from a lower-body injury that CSNPhilly.com is reporting is a right knee injury, did not take part in practice and was not available to the media. He was hurt late in the first period on a collision with Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers and did not return."

Ha, Myers was the one that was down on the ice, Carter will be missing a game. Just found this kind of ironic.

Also, I'd be willing to take a 2 minute slashing call for someone to whack the business out of Pronger's right hand.

That was not prevent defense. It was more like running around in their own end like chickens with their heads cut off. They were chasing the Flyers around their own end for long periods of time in the 3rd period.

Prevent defense would be no forechecking, keeping a forward back all the time, etc...

Agreed. I'm not sure what up do call the 3rd period last night, but I am sure what you don't call it: defense.

That was not prevent defense. It was more like running around in their own end like chickens with their heads cut off. They were chasing the Flyers around their own end for long periods of time in the 3rd period.

Prevent defense would be no forechecking, keeping a forward back all the time, etc...

Really, did you see an attempt at a forecheck the entire third period? I missed it. I saw the Sabres succeed a couple of times in getting an odd man rush by creating deflections on passes or shots from the blue line. Other than that, it was dump the puck out (agree with you, not well executed) collapse all five players in front, and rely on Miller to seal the deal.

It was pure Lindy protecting the one goal lead - hence, "prevent defense." Brutal to watch, devastating on the fan's psyche, but it usually works.

Really, did you see an attempt at a forecheck the entire third period? I missed it. I saw the Sabres succeed a couple of times in getting an odd man rush by creating deflections on passes or shots from the blue line. Other than that, it was dump the puck out (agree with you, not well executed) collapse all five players in front, and rely on Miller to seal the deal.

It was pure Lindy protecting the one goal lead - hence, "prevent defense." Brutal to watch, devastating on the fan's psyche, but it usually works.

The way I saw it you are both correct. It seemed to me that Buffalo scrapped the forecheck about the time that 5 min major ended. But... there was a ton of running around and sloppy defensive zone play that isn't a part of any prevent defense I've ever seen. Prevent defense usually involves getting the puck out and hanging back waiting for the rush. Sabres hung back and waited for the rush, the problem was, they weren't getting the puck out of the zone.

The way I saw it you are both correct. It seemed to me that Buffalo scrapped the forecheck about the time that 5 min major ended. But... there was a ton of running around and sloppy defensive zone play that isn't a part of any prevent defense I've ever seen. Prevent defense usually involves getting the puck out and hanging back waiting for the rush. Sabres hung back and waited for the rush, the problem was, they weren't getting the puck out of the zone.

I think I would define prevent defense as you have - and we all agree it was pitifully executed. No play exemplifies that more than Gaustad's lazy swipe at the puck leading to Briere's gift at the doorstep. Surely, that play ilicited about 500,000 yelps of, "WTF!!!"

Actually I think that would be called "tea partying". So the Sabres were tea partying out there in the 3rd. The Sabres were playing the tea party defense in the 3rd.

This is just great. A tea party in the library. What's next??

Really, I want to know. I don't know about too many fancy things.

Something else I noticed last night: TC looks like his body is breaking down. I know others have been opining that he's just been lazy/intimidated/other, but he's always had good wheels. Last night he looked slow, in addition to weak on the walls. His hands are still there, but his legs may be going. (He also crapped the bed on a 3-on-1 in the 2nd or 3rd period in which he passed up a point-blank shot from the slot in favor of a poorly placed pass across that got knocked away, but that's another issue.)

At this point I'd be very surprised if he's on the Sabres next year.

Something else I noticed last night: TC looks like his body is breaking down. I know others have been opining that he's just been lazy/intimidated/other, but he's always had good wheels. Last night he looked slow, in addition to weak on the walls. His hands are still there, but his legs may be going. (He also crapped the bed on a 3-on-1 in the 2nd or 3rd period in which he passed up a point-blank shot from the slot in favor of a poorly placed pass across that got knocked away, but that's another issue.)

I hope you're right. I should add that defensively he's been quite good for some time now but he's paid to create and score and clearly those days are behind him.

At this point? THIS point?

He's been so ineffective for so long that it's hard to believe he's still on the team, and actually the longest-tenured Sabre.

I'm hoping he has one last random, inexplicable amazing game for us where he scores two goals and an assist, and basically carries the team. Because who the hell would see that coming? The more likely scenario is that he continues to never score goals and make terrible, way-off-the-mark passes that his teammates can't handle.

Only, that's always been the way the Sabres play prevent defense.

I swear, no team can be worse at clearing the puck, and it's been that way for years.

Only, that's always been the way the Sabres play prevent defense.

I swear, no team can be worse at clearing the puck, and it's been that way for years.

I cringe every time it happens...you know Philly's going to score on one of those failed clearing attempts. Miller bailed them out on the Briere save when Myers (I think) failed to clear the puck 5 feet from the blue line.

I'm inclined to believe he's nursing some injury. Our only optic is the performance in the games. If his game was truly insufficient in Ruff's eyes, then he wouldn't be playing.

Just remembered the best moment of this game. Intermission after Richards took the 5 minute elbowing penalty.

A Philly fan walking through the 300 corridor wearing a Richards jersey.

Sabres fan walking behind him chanting "Dick in the box! Dick in the box! Dick in the box! Dick in the box! Dick in the box! Dick in the box!" all the way down the corridor. hahahaha lol

I'm inclined to believe he's nursing some injury. Our only optic is the performance in the games. If his game was truly insufficient in Ruff's eyes, then he wouldn't be playing.

Not a swipe at you wjag, but I swear, someone made the exact same post last year.

Not a swipe at you wjag, but I swear, someone made the exact same post last year.

I hear ya.. It was probably me.... :unsure:

I've been thinking a bit about this. The aggregate toll of playing Sabres hockey ala Ruff starts adding up on these guys. We all seem to remember the time when a player lets up on a play or makes a gaff but not the number of times he takes one off the shin or gets ridden into the boards. Ruff hockey is rough on players. Who else takes your 7M dollar man and puts him in front of the next so the Dmen can take shots at him hoping he can tip it before it hits him?

So I tend to believe that Ruff, who does know the full picture must truly believe his + outweigh his - .

Archived