Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

But we got Brad Boyes at the deadline! Thats all that was needed, another quality pickup by Regier at the deadline just like Bernier, Torres, Moore.......... They come in, the Front Office hypes them up, they have a couple good games in tehir first couple with teh Sabres, then they disapear

BTW, Did anyone else get their 97 Rock "No Fly(er) Zone" sign confiscated last night on the way in? i saw people with WGR ones inside, but the guy at the ticket taker grabbed mine out of my hand and said they were not allowed in the arena and he was confiscating them. Kinda pissed me off a little, along with teh fact that they don't go with anything special for this game like a white out, they go back to the free white Pom-Pom thing (the blue and gold ones were much better if they weren't going to do a white out) and No Doug Allen. I remember after the lockout they atleast gave out a free t-shirt with the Pom-Pom for the first home playoff game. I thought TP had some money?

I will say, that was a pretty weak effort as far as a Pegula owned team for playoff Home Game #1 (gold shirts anyone). Look what Philly has in the orange shirts they give away (that looked great). Half the game last night seemed like a regular season affair. Here is to hoping Wednesday has a MUCH different feel to it......

A lot of good points in this thread, but I think the criticism of Vanek is not warranted. The man is a goal scorer and that's what he's been doing so far despite being the obvious point of attention for Philly's D. If he was responsible for creating odd-man rushes the other way due to poor decisions in the offensive zone, I'd be more inclined to fault him for his +/-, but I don't remember any times where a goal allowed was even partially Vanek's fault.

I also don't blame the power play. Sure the 5 on 3 was ugly, but the power play has been scoring at a high percentage in the series (unlike vs. Boston last year). As others have pointed out, they need more guys going to the net and less dancing around the perimeter at even strength. A game plan requiring you to score 2-3 times on the power play to get a win isn't a very good one.

Finally, I love Gaustad's play. Faceoff wins, leadership, controlled aggression and passion on the ice. Maybe he can lay into a few of the slackers before tomorrow night.

But we got Brad Boyes at the deadline! Thats all that was needed, another quality pickup by Regier at the deadline just like Bernier, Torres, Moore.......... They come in, the Front Office hypes them up, they have a couple good games in tehir first couple with teh Sabres, then they disapear

Boyes has been playing out of position for what, a month? Longer?

You're both right. The Flyers' forwards are significantly better than the Sabres'. However, the games have been close enough so that moving Briere from Philly onto the Sabres probably would make this a 2-1 series lead for the Sabres, if not 3-0.

Some guys, like Briere, rise to the occasion in the playoffs, while others, like pretty much every forward the Sabres have other than Gaustad and Gerbe, are content to let the game get away from them and seek shelter in excuses.

I'll say it again: at least 3, and preferably more, out of TC, Pommer, Vanek, Roy, Ennis, Hecht, Boyes and Stafford should be sent away this summer. They aren't good enough to win in the playoffs.

I can't really argue against the valuing that Briere has accrued in this discussion, but I don't think simply adding him to our current team would be the be all end all difference maker. I think if we have Roy back in the lineup and you add Briere in, then things start getting interesting. But I'm just arguing semantics at this point, and no one likes that.

As far as your last paragraph, I believe TC will be gone as well as Hecht. Trading Pominville doesn't upset my stomach. As much as I hate Drew, at least he's shown us SOMETHING.

My opinion on this team is that our young D will mature, we will shed some dead weight at forward, and our young players like Gerbe and Ennis will lead the way next year. This team will keep the players it thinks can be gamers in the playoffs and shed those who aren't.

And for what it's worth, I think Niedermeyer and Grier are having good veteran playoffs. I wouldn't hate them both back next year to provide our youth with some veteran presence. They obviously still have compete left in them, especially at the time of year that matters.

I also think Kaleta gets traded. Just a gut feeling.

Gragnani is the only Sabres D-man who looks comfortable out there in his own skin. I never really watched him play, but the game doesn't seem too big for him. Interesting.

I would add Weber to that, he runs over stuff and yes he is aggressive in front of the net but its about time we had a def clear out the riff raff banging away at miller.

Some guys, like Briere, rise to the occasion in the playoffs, while others, like pretty much every forward the Sabres have other than Gaustad and Gerbe, are content to let the game get away from them and seek shelter in excuses.

Which "rise to the occasion" attribute was Briere's greatest while in Buffalo?

Was it:

- His 3 goals total in 2006/2007?

- His 6.1% shooting percentage the same playoffs?

- His ZERO shots on goal in Game 7 vs. the Hurricanes?

I'm sorry if a puck off the skate and a Bam/Bam shot off a turnover next to the net qualifies as "rising to the occasion" in your book. It doesn't in mine. Save for those two moments, Briere has been largely ineffective this series.

I will say, that was a pretty weak effort as far as a Pegula owned team for playoff Home Game #1 (gold shirts anyone). Look what Philly has in the orange shirts they give away (that looked great). Half the game last night seemed like a regular season affair. Here is to hoping Wednesday has a MUCH different feel to it......

Or atleast Blue ones!

and it was basically a regular season home game in the arena, but with White Pom-Pom's that most people put in their pockets

I can't really argue against the valuing that Briere has accrued in this discussion, but I don't think simply adding him to our current team would be the be all end all difference maker. I think if we have Roy back in the lineup and you add Briere in, then things start getting interesting. But I'm just arguing semantics at this point, and no one likes that.

As far as your last paragraph, I believe TC will be gone as well as Hecht. Trading Pominville doesn't upset my stomach. As much as I hate Drew, at least he's shown us SOMETHING.

My opinion on this team is that our young D will mature, we will shed some dead weight at forward, and our young players like Gerbe and Ennis will lead the way next year. This team will keep the players it thinks can be gamers in the playoffs and shed those who aren't.

And for what it's worth, I think Niedermeyer and Grier are having good veteran playoffs. I wouldn't hate them both back next year to provide our youth with some veteran presence. They obviously still have compete left in them, especially at the time of year that matters.

What good would adding Roy do? He was as bad as Pommer and TC were (if not worse) last spring vs. the Bruins.

What good would adding Roy do? He was as bad as Pommer and TC were (if not worse) last spring vs. the Bruins.

Yeah, but like Miller going into this series, he's had a lot of rest! ;)

He was having a great season this year. I can't imagine him not being effective in the playoffs. I'd rather have Roy out there over Connolly.

I would add Weber to that, he runs over stuff and yes he is aggressive in front of the net but its about time we had a def clear out the riff raff banging away at miller.

I like Weber, and he can be a mainstay in this league. He is trying a little too hard though.

It is one thing to say you can win. It's another thing to actually believe you will. The Sabres for the most part are playing like a team that knows they are overmatched and need to take chances in order to have the results go in their favor. It's probably the correct strategy, but you can see that disconnect in the play of a lot of the young guys.

It is very disrespectful of all those fans who kept doing all those catcalls and whatever else they were yelling during the anthems. Not the singer who cost the game - it was those fans.

I agree. I could hear that though the TV even. It was rather disgusting.

Was it:

I'm sorry if a puck off the skate and a Bam/Bam shot off a turnover next to the net qualifies as "rising to the occasion" in your book. It doesn't in mine. Save for those two moments, Briere has been largely ineffective this series.

I completely disagree. He and his line has created numerous scoring chances -- and when they are in the Sabres' defensive zone, whatever "top 6" forward line the Sabres have in there are not in Philly's defensive zone.

As for the stats you cherry-picked -- very nice. Here's one that I think is relevant: since the lockout, he is FIRST in the NHL in playoff scoring. This includes 8 goals & 19 points in 18 playoff games in 2006 and yes, 3 goals and 15 points in 16 games in 2007 (not "2006/07" as you described it). That is "rising to the occasion."

I'll say it again: at least 3, and preferably more, out of TC, Pommer, Vanek, Roy, Ennis, Hecht, Boyes and Stafford should be sent away this summer. They aren't good enough to win in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be bothered if 3 are sent packing. I just can't decide who I am more pissed off at right now. I'd go with the guys who have shown the most unwillingness to compete thru the first 3 games, which except for Roy & Hecht(because they are not playing), is a 6 way tie for first place.

Was it:

That is the rub, isn't it? Briere has been pretty well contained, has been lousy on defense, and has still gotten in the boxscore.

I completely disagree. He and his line has created numerous scoring chances -- and when they are in the Sabres' defensive zone, whatever "top 6" forward line the Sabres have in there are not in Philly's defensive zone.

As for the stats you cherry-picked -- very nice. Here's one that I think is relevant: since the lockout, he is FIRST in the NHL in playoff scoring. This includes 8 goals & 19 points in 18 playoff games in 2006 and yes, 3 goals and 15 points in 16 games in 2007 (not "2006/07" as you described it). That is "rising to the occasion."

So, "rise to the occasion" only matters when YOU want it to matter? Well great, all hail Daniel Briere for "rising to the occasion" during Game 2 of the Conference Quarterfinals and letting a puck hit him in the skate. :rolleyes:

Too bad his left foot was out to lunch in Game 7 of the Conference FINALS, when the stakes were just a little bit higher. but, you can praise his 3 goals in the 2007 playoffs (I apologize for referencing the 2006/2007 season - it was terribly confusing I'm sure) and praise his left foot this year, while crapping on Vanek who also has scored 2 goals and has a virtual assist on Stafford's goal, who also plays without a decent center. That's ok. It's not like Vanek is on your team and Briere's day in the Buffalo sun was 5 years ago.

I don't think they'd trade a fan favorite like Kaleta this summer, but his long term future with the Sabres is probably in doubt. He's not all that durable and we have bigger, stronger guys on the way to take his place.

I don't think they'd trade a fan favorite like Kaleta this summer, but his long term future with the Sabres is probably in doubt. He's not all that durable and we have bigger, stronger guys on the way to take his place.

He'll be on the roster next year, IMO.

After that .....Foligno, Kassian should be ready.

He was having a great season this year. I can't imagine him not being effective in the playoffs. I'd rather have Roy out there over Connolly.

You don't have to imagine anything. It happened. He was terrible in the playoffs last year, after a regular season in which he finished with 69 points -- including more goals than he was on pace to score this year when he got hurt, btw.

I wouldn't be bothered if 3 are sent packing. I just can't decide who I am more pissed off at right now. I'd go with the guys who have shown the most unwillingness to compete thru the first 3 games, which except for Roy & Hecht(because they are not playing), is a 6 way tie for first place.

To me, the ranking of lameness goes (from worst to least bad):

Pommer

Vanek

Boyes

TC

Ennis

Stafford

I know Vanek popped in a couple of PPGs in game 2, but to me he's been invisible other than that 5-minute stretch of the first period (after which Bobrovsky got yanked) of a game the Sabres ended up losing. In fact, last night in the 3rd period I found myself wondering whether he was injured because I didn't recall him being on the ice lately. A team's $7MM "elite" player and alleged future captain just can't be that ineffective. He needs to be a factor on every shift.

Also, I thought Boyes, Stafford and Ennis were much improved last night and created a number of chances. Not enough that I wouldn't be fine with unloading any of them this summer, but noticeably better IMHO than in the 1st 2 games, when each of them was as bad as anyone.

That is the rub, isn't it? Briere has been pretty well contained, has been lousy on defense, and has still gotten in the boxscore.

Without context, that rub is meaningless.

My point, is that the over the top Briere ballwashing is nauseating in comparison to treatment Vanek/Stafford are getting. Briere's play has been anything but noteworthy this series and for people to insinuate his left foot would have certainly scored for us if we had just given him his 5/5 is a ridiculous exercise if self-gratification.

Without context, that rub is meaningless.

My point, is that the over the top Briere ballwashing is nauseating in comparison to treatment Vanek/Stafford are getting. Briere's play has been anything but noteworthy this series and for people to insinuate his left foot would have certainly scored for us if we had just given him his 5/5 is a ridiculous exercise if self-gratification.

/end debate

You don't have to imagine anything. It happened. He was terrible in the playoffs last year, after a regular season in which he finished with 69 points -- including more goals than he was on pace to score this year when he got hurt, btw.

To me, the ranking of lameness goes (from worst to least bad):

Pommer

Vanek

Boyes

TC

Ennis

Stafford

I know Vanek popped in a couple of PPGs in game 2, but to me he's been invisible other than that 5-minute stretch of the first period (after which Bobrovsky got yanked) of a game the Sabres ended up losing. In fact, last night in the 3rd period I found myself wondering whether he was injured because I didn't recall him being on the ice lately. A team's $7MM "elite" player and alleged future captain just can't be that ineffective. He needs to be a factor on every shift.

Also, I thought Boyes, Stafford and Ennis were much improved last night and created a number of chances. Not enough that I wouldn't be fine with unloading any of them this summer, but noticeably better IMHO than in the 1st 2 games, when each of them was as bad as anyone.

So, if I understand this correctly - Briere gets lots of kudos from you because HIS LINE has (according to you) has generated many chances, but Vanek is a POS even though the other guys on his line aren't pulling their weight? Vanek needs to be more productive with worse linemates because he's.... paid the same amount as Briere?

Looks like Hamilton is feeling a bit burned/paranoid about not getting the scoop on Leopold - now he's all over Roy:

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Roy-could-be-ready-soon/9655121

From the practice reports, it doesn't sound like Roy is ready at all, but apparently Lindy is pretty sneaky.

In other news, did you hear Leopold's comment to the reporters about his return? "...you guys are gullible..."

So, if I understand this correctly - Briere gets lots of kudos from you because HIS LINE has (according to you) has generated many chances, but Vanek is a POS even though the other guys on his line aren't pulling their weight? Vanek needs to be more productive with worse linemates because he's.... paid the same amount as Briere?

I don't see how anyone can really be giving Vanek any grief when he is stuck on a line with Connolly and Pominville - two players that have been constantly called out for their play so far. Lindy needs to give Vanek some linemates who will actually be able to take his passes and score. Vanek Gaustad Gerbe? I'd even try Boyes back with Vanek like the few early games Boyes was here (was it with Ennis as the other linemate?) Actually I would do both of those lines - double shift Vanek or alternate Vanek and Gerbe on the second line.

Also - give Vanek and Gerbe a few shifts on the PK.

Archived