Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Every team has an Achille's heel. My point is simply, their goaltending disadvantage that was so confidently ridiculed in this thread isn't turning out to be all that great of a disadvantage in this series.

Certainly not $5.3 mil worth of a disadvantage.

Game thoughts...

- Vanek, Pominville, Boyes, Ennis, Stafford & Connolly SUCKED for the 3rd game in a row at ES. Are any of these guys capable of forechecking? All outplayed again by Gerbe.

- For the 2nd game in the row, the Sabres could have changed the game momentum with a 3rd period PP goal. Instead, one failed PP attempt after another.

- Ruff and his staff should be happy that they sent the same shitheads out for the 5 on 3 PP when they did nothing all game long. What does Gerbe have to do to get some PP time?

- Gaustad who is allegedly one of our best defensive forwards was nowhere to be found 5 seconds after the faceoff when Briere was standing alone in front of the net to slam it home. The team defense on the 2nd goal wasn't much better.

- Passing grades to Gerbe, Grier and...that's it.

- The Flyers didn't even try to play offense in the 3rd period, yet the number of good scoring chances the Sabres had were still limited to a handful.

- Has Miller ever let in a goal that was his fault? It seems like every goal that the opposition scores falls into one of three categories according to posters here...screened, deflected or no chance.

Miller was beat on the first, down too early on the second, and had no chance on he 3rd. Did make some nice saves to keep hope alive on the 3rd. Boucher had better support. He left several rebounds near an open net that no Sabre was there to slam home. He was barely tested on the 5-3. The problem tonight was goal scoring. When our top forwards needed to produce, they passed the puck away, took weak, bad angle shots, waited too long to shoot. Connelly's deflected pass to Vanak on a 2-1 versus taking an open shot was tonights game in a microcosm.

I think the Sabres are still in this, and if they win Game 4, the series is back on. For the Sabres to win, it comes down to three basic things that if they can get right, I think they can win the series.

First, they have to improve their defensive zone play. While that's fairly obvious, the Briere and Zherdev goals were a direct result of a turnover in the defensive zone that directly caused a goal. Should Miller make the save? Probably, but the defenseman can't make those types of turnovers in their own zone and just give the Flyers a great scoring opportunity.

Second, the Sabres have got to play with the lead and get up on Philly early. A young team like the Sabres are not built to come back, especially when you are lacking for the leadership and clutch player. The Sabres have got to get up early on the Flyers and use that to their advantage and win games when the Flyers D start taking chances and pounce on them.

Third, the Sabres just need to get some timely scoring. This is much easier said than done. But, it's the reality. They need to take advantage of the opportunities given to them like the 8 powerplays on Saturday. The 4 minute penalty to Hartnell and the 5-on-3 are situations the Sabres absolutely have to score in.

This series is not over, but the Sabres must do these three basic things in order to win the series and have to do it game-in and game-out.

In other words, take quick shots and fight for rebounds. Anyone remember Kaleta's goal in game 1?

Certainly not $5.3 mil worth of a disadvantage.

You're right, it's looking like the NHL is turning into a league where goaltending is not priority #1. What do you want? We've got a great goalie who has three years left. Do you want some trophy for claiming now that we shouldn't have paid Miller what we did? I always see you b#tching about how management is garbage but never see you post too many things regarding what should be done.

The short of it for me is that team looked like a lost team at 3-1 in per 2. I hope I'm wrong. What did Gerbe play tonite? He looks by far the best of any player on either team.

I think after game 1 Filly learned that all they have to do is forecheck more: Sabre D will cough up the puck and they got a couple good bounces.

Miller position-wise still doesn't look good at times..

It looks like Ruff will have to work a miracle to get out of this series.

Man it's tough because Filly still doesn't look that good with there talent and there goalie's still suck..Shoot high for gods sake!!

I hope the honeymoon is over for Tpegs because this team needs some players to go and some top, clutch, hardworking talent to come in. I am not going to say who because it seems to vary but the only 2 players on this team that I have faith in right now are Gerbe who works really hard every shift and Weber who likewise works hard. Idk what to say honestly, except I hope we come back Wednesday because this team is not good enough to go down in series 3-1, we have gotten back to that must win mentality.

Why would he be up ice when his man is going to the net? When the puck is behind the end line?

He won possession cleanly. It was right on Butler's stick. IIRC. I don't know how he could have done it better. When he does he should start the breakout. He didn't hesitate. That's how I saw it.

I hope the honeymoon is over for Tpegs because this team needs some players to go and some top, clutch, hardworking talent to come in. I am not going to say who because it seems to vary but the only 2 players on this team that I have faith in right now are Gerbe who works really hard every shift and Weber who likewise works hard. Idk what to say honestly, except I hope we come back Wednesday because this team is not good enough to go down in series 3-1, we have gotten back to that must win mentality.

Yeah this sounds right. It is just killing them right now not having a second center...

Hmmmm.

Philly is loaded - at forward and D. I still think goaltending is their weakest link.

I would say goaltending is why Philly didn't win the cup last year.

You are correct sir.--May i add we can't play Philly's game and expect to win this series--we are

not as talented as they are.We need to tighten things up.

He won possession cleanly. It was right on Butler's stick. IIRC. I don't know how he could have done it better. When he does he should start the breakout. He didn't hesitate. That's how I saw it.

Winning the faceoff...GREAT. Ignoring your man as you start to break out too early...BAD. When there are 3 Flyers closer to Miller than any Sabre as the goal is scored, something greater went wrong than just a fanned on pass by Butler.

Before the series started, I voiced two concerns: that Miller needed to be more like the Olympic goaltender and that we don't have guys like Briere and Drury (when they were here) who could bury the BIG goal when the team really needs the clutch score.

I held out hope that Gerbe was maybe that type of big goal guy, and I think he is. But I concur that he's not being given enough opportunity, as others have noted.

So far both concerns are still at the forefront for me. Not the referees. Not the effort.

You're right, it's looking like the NHL is turning into a league where goaltending is not priority #1. What do you want? We've got a great goalie who has three years left. Do you want some trophy for claiming now that we shouldn't have paid Miller what we did? I always see you b#tching about how management is garbage but never see you post too many things regarding what should be done.

that's the huge misnomer around here

You are correct sir.--May i add we can't play Philly's game and expect to win this series--we are

not as talented as they are.We need to tighten things up.

That sounds good but difficult enough to generate any offense without any centers, going into a shell can only make it worse.

Before the series started, I voiced two concerns: that Miller needed to be more like the Olympic goaltender and that we don't have guys like Briere and Drury (when they were here) who could bury the BIG goal when the team really needs the clutch score.

I held out hope that Gerbe was maybe that type of big goal guy, and I think he is. But I concur that he's not being given enough opportunity, as others have noted.

So far both concerns are still at the forefront for me. Not the referees. Not the effort.

Yeah true. Another thing I saw today was two undisciplined penalties on Weber and Patty. Esp. the Weber penalty. What the heck was he thinking cross-checking that dude like 5 times? He's gotta know better than that!

Winning the faceoff...GREAT. Ignoring your man as you start to break out too early...BAD. When there are 3 Flyers closer to Miller than any Sabre as the goal is scored, something greater went wrong than just a fanned on pass by Butler.

Nope. Butler coughed it up.

Center's job is to support the wing on the wall for the third pass.

D => D => W => C

If he had lost the faceoff I'd agree with you.

Archived