[OT] First time to the city

fiftyone

Hey fellas. I'll apologize in advance for the redundant topic that I'm sure this is. With that said, I'm heading up to Buffalo for the Sabres/Devils game on Saturday and it'll be my first time ever in the city, let alone seeing the team play at home. I'm from Jersey but i'll be driving up from Northern Pennsylvania sometime Saturday afternoon. Just wondering if there are any suggestions of places I should go to as a Sabres fan or places to see in general. I've never had wings from Buffalo, where is the best place to try them? I don't know much about the city or the area around the arena so any info would be appreciated. Again, any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OK. On the wings: Duff's really has the best. But it's in the suburbs, and it's not near anything else. (Unless you want to visit car dealerships.) The best in the City of Buffalo are at Gabriel's Gate. The original--where the wing was invented--touristy place is Anchor Bar. Both Anchor and the Gate are within a train ride of the arena.

Pearl Street's wings are not bad at all. Neither are the wings at City Grill--and Blue, don't you even freaking start. Both are walking distance, not train distance, to the Arena. But neither are as good as Gabriel's Gate or as original as Anchor.

(Most of us don't really like Anchor, but it is to wings as Graceland is to Elvis, as someone else mentioned in last week's thread on this topic.)

Depending on how early you get in, there is plenty to see. Let us know your interests and I'm sure that plenty of people will direct you around. Also let us know if you intend to park your car and walk around or if you intend to drive around until game time. It does make a difference here.

And of course, welcome "home."

Thanks guys. Probably will avoid Duff's if it's not near anything else. I won't be there for long so I'll probably want to stay in close to everything. Walking around and driving around a both an option for me, I don't have any plans yet I haven't really decided anything. I'll look into Pearl Street and Gabriel's Gate for the wings. As for things to do, I'll only have a couple hours so maybe just eat and take a walk around will have to do. Any Sabres-related attractions before game time?

why does everyone always have to apologize for starting this topic? who are the a$$holes that make it sound like Buffalo doesn't 'need' out-of-town dollars anyway? We should be happy to know that anyone is willing to come up to Buffalo and find out for themselves what a great town it is, rather than believe what is put out in the mainstream media?

i would agree though, that if you are coming in for a game, spend some time at Pearl Street before hand just to take in the 'hockey' crowd and if you have never been to Buff, I think you have to visit Anchor, but just leave yourself plenty of time.

Depending on how old you are, stop by Chippewa Street section aftewards, and then find your place there, or move on down towards Allen town, or head back towards Pearl Street for the night.

why does everyone always have to apologize for starting this topic? who are the a$$holes that make it sound like Buffalo doesn't 'need' out-of-town dollars anyway? We should be happy to know that anyone is willing to come up to Buffalo and find out for themselves what a great town it is, rather than believe what is put out in the mainstream media?

i would agree though, that if you are coming in for a game, spend some time at Pearl Street before hand just to take in the 'hockey' crowd and if you have never been to Buff, I think you have to visit Anchor, but just leave yourself plenty of time.

Depending on how old you are, stop by Chippewa Street section aftewards, and then find your place there, or move on down towards Allen town, or head back towards Pearl Street for the night.

I was only apologizing because I'm sure people start topics like this all the time and people answer the same thing pretty often. I'm only 19 which could eliminate some stops that most people would go to though.

Duffs wings are very good. Since you said you have a car, I'd recommend either Elmo's in Tonawanda or (my personal preference) the Bar-Bill in East Aurora above Duff's. Either is a 20 minute drive from downtown, but the Bar-Bill is definitely worth the drive.

And if you are coming all the way from Joisey, you can't leave our fair berg w/out getting a Beef on 'Weck from Schwabl's (in West Seneca (?)). The birch beer (basically Buffalo style rootbeer) is killer there as well.

If hot dogs are your thing, swing by Ted's. Killer dogs & fries (the wife raves about the onion rings, but I'm not an onion fan so I take her word on it) and get a loganberry while there. Pour some vinegar on the fries and wash it down w/ a loganberry and before you know it you'll be calling the place w/ books the lie-berry. ;)

And if you are staying in the big Buff for more than just a few hours, swing by a Mighty Taco. It is the only place in the world where you can get Buffalo-style Mexican food. It also has cool placemats, and if you missed the loganberry at Ted's you can get it there. :thumbsup:

I was only apologizing because I'm sure people start topics like this all the time and people answer the same thing pretty often. I'm only 19 which could eliminate some stops that most people would go to though.

19 does make it more difficult because most of the best places to go downtown are very bar-centric, including Pearl Street and Gabriel's Gate. You should still be able to get a table to enjoy true Buffalo Wings though.

If you are just looking for something to pass the time, The Naval Park is very close to the arena. It has a couple of mothballed Naval ships that you can tour, and a small museum-type display.

19 does make it more difficult because most of the best places to go downtown are very bar-centric, including Pearl Street and Gabriel's Gate. You should still be able to get a table to enjoy true Buffalo Wings though.

If you are just looking for something to pass the time, The Naval Park is very close to the arena. It has a couple of mothballed Naval ships that you can tour, and a small museum-type display.

And an artic sea breeze.. :rolleyes:

People do start these topics all the time and we're always glad to have visitors, so it's not a problem. mrjsbu, do people really always apologize when asking these questions? Hadn't noticed.

As to your question above, there is not yet a big Sabres museum or anything like that near the Arena. Sorry to say, most of the, er, "amusements" that are within walking distance require you to be a couple of years older. We're working on changing that, but it is happening s l o w l y. There is a neat military museum nearby, if you're into that sort of thing, with a destroyer, submarine, and I think another ship that you can tour.

Oh. Weave's been hard at work while I've been typing. I'll stop now.

People do start these topics all the time and we're always glad to have visitors, so it's not a problem. mrjsbu, do people really always apologize when asking these questions? Hadn't noticed.

As to your question above, there is not yet a big Sabres museum or anything like that near the Arena. Sorry to say, most of the, er, "amusements" that are within walking distance require you to be a couple of years older. We're working on changing that, but it is happening s l o w l y. There is a neat military museum nearby, if you're into that sort of thing, with a destroyer, submarine, and I think another ship that you can tour.

Oh. Weave's been hard at work while I've been typing. I'll stop now.

You should learn to type with more than 2 fingers. :D

Really though, I got nuthin else that's in the downtown area. Downtown is a tough place to find stuff to do if you aren't 21+.

Maybe someone with fewer years on 'em can chime in about things to do downtown when your 19.

You should learn to type with more than 2 fingers. :D

Really though, I got nuthin else that's in the downtown area. Downtown is a tough place to find stuff to do if you aren't 21+.

Maybe someone with fewer years on 'em can chime in about things to do downtown when your 19.

Not downtown, but at 19 he could go across the river and take in the ballet for a bit.

I'm a Gabe's man myself. But I don't like to tell people, because I like getting a table. :)

Taro's suggestion about Shwable's is a good one.

If you plan on going to Pearl Street make sure to get there VERY early. They have a buffet on the third floors for game nights starting at 5. It's 15 bucks and they have wings, salade, roast beef and pasta. Worth the money IMO. If you want a table though make sure to get there before 5 on a game night. It's a big enough place but still gets PACKED!

OK. On the wings: Duff's really has the best. But it's in the suburbs, and it's not near anything else. (Unless you want to visit car dealerships.) The best in the City of Buffalo are at Gabriel's Gate. The original--where the wing was invented--touristy place is Anchor Bar. Both Anchor and the Gate are within a train ride of the arena.

And of course, welcome "home."

as per usual, there's nothing of substance i can add once fellas like eleven, X., and taro have weighed in. i heartily endorse a visit to the gate for pre-gaming and wings.

not sure what the post-game plans might be, but you could do a lot worse than a return to allentown (ulrich's or mothers) for a night cap. ulrich's is on the corner of ellicott and virginia; mothers is 5-6 blocks west-ish of ulrich's on virgina place.

and, hey, don't be a stranger!

go sabres.

If we can get off the subject of food for one second, if you have never been to WNY before, you have to set aside some time to see Niagara Falls.

Yeah. How did we forget that? Go to the Falls if you can and bring your passport if you have one.

I also back Gabriel's Gate HARD for wings. Their beer selection pretty much blows though, however with you being 19 I guess that doesn't matter to you.

If you're into architecture at all, there are some excellent buildings not too far from the arena, and right down the street from Pearl Street (the Guaranty building, on the corner of Church and Pearl, would be the most famous in that area)

Hey fellas. I'll apologize in advance for the redundant topic that I'm sure this is. With that said, I'm heading up to Buffalo for the Sabres/Devils game on Saturday and it'll be my first time ever in the city, let alone seeing the team play at home. I'm from Jersey but i'll be driving up from Northern Pennsylvania sometime Saturday afternoon. Just wondering if there are any suggestions of places I should go to as a Sabres fan or places to see in general. I've never had wings from Buffalo, where is the best place to try them? I don't know much about the city or the area around the arena so any info would be appreciated. Again, any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't mind these threads, as it reminds me of the good times to be had in Buffalo when I grew up there. Does Gabriel's Gate still have the two angels with the torches in front?

However, I am curious how a 19-year-old from New Jersey who has never been to the city became a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. Parents from WNY? Fan of Hasek in the late 90s, early 2000s? Liked the design of the goat head or slug?

I'm a fan because it is my hometown. But the Sabres are not like the Cowboys, Lakers, Steelers, or those types of teams who have national following because of multiple championships and years of prominence. You don't really hear of a lot of people who decide to become Sabres or Bills fans unless they have some connection to the city. Care to elaborate?

I don't mind these threads, as it reminds me of the good times to be had in Buffalo when I grew up there. Does Gabriel's Gate still have the two angels with the torches in front?

However, I am curious how a 19-year-old from New Jersey who has never been to the city became a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. Parents from WNY? Fan of Hasek in the late 90s, early 2000s? Liked the design of the goat head or slug?

I'm a fan because it is my hometown. But the Sabres are not like the Cowboys, Lakers, Steelers, or those types of teams who have national following because of multiple championships and years of prominence. You don't really hear of a lot of people who decide to become Sabres or Bills fans unless they have some connection to the city. Care to elaborate?

Devils fan?

Here's another vote for Bar-Bill and Gabriel's Gate. If you want a decent slice of pizza, go to Zetti's on Elmwood. Fat Bob's doesn't have any traditional Buffalo food, but it's still a great place to eat and a great crowd to get drunk amongst! If you get a chance, go to City Hall and check out the amazing artwork in the lobby and then go up to the observation deck for a beautiful view.

Archived