Connolly going forward???

LabattBlue

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any way you want Connolly on the team in 11-12?

• Yes
    • No

If you have injuries Connolly can play some shifts on the first two lines. Gaustad would just bog them down.

Wait...what? Where do you stand on the poll question, exactly?

Here are the unsigned UFA centers for next year. A trade may not be necessary. Look where Connolly is on this list. Should he really be the third-highest paid of all the UFA centers? Really?

Even if the Sabres don't sign Richards (who will be really, really expensive), isn't the money better spent on Kopecky and Reasoner, giving each a nice raise, than on just Connolly?

Eeeeeeesh. Looking at that list, it's clear that someone will overpay TC.

so, that list of UFA centers includes several guys who have spent a lot of time this year playing wing... Kopecky, Laich, fleishman... so were are back to wings at center... I vote trade or Richards.

You can "vote" for a trade for Stamkos, Malkin, Kane or Couture all you like.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. Darcy Regier has a man crush on Connolly. He just loves him for some reason. Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if Regier gives him a raise.

Of course, it is absolutely ridiculous to keep him, but Regier has built a team without significant centers and he feels the need to keep him out of necessity. The Sabres are weak at the center position throughout the organization.

Unless the Sabres sign two new centers by trade or free agency, Connolly will be back. This is a sad reality.

I think it will be one new center, and that TC is gone.

I am an unabashed Connolly hater but really? Are we asking this question? Has he done something recently? He is actually even in recent games. I've looked at all the plays from his recent "explosion". A goal in a 5 on 3 cleaning up scraps (which I'd actually would have loved to have seen him do in the previous 80 games), one nice pass to Ennis and then two plays where he happened to touch the puck before the guy who scored. This guy is worthless, locker room poison who scavenges occasional points on the power play to make his numbers, well not respectable, but less awful.

You can bring in or bring up ANYONE to put up the same production and to provide more leadership to the team. Watch the game when Tim Connolly is on the ice and tell me how many battles he wins. I know he is not the biggest guy but he literally loses 9 out of 10 battles. Gone.

I've been pretty vocal about the need to let Connolly go and haven't wavered even when he has shown signs of rejuvenation. His time is done and its time for the sabres as a team to move forward. I agree with a lot of what you're saying but to call him locker room poison without offering anything to back it up is irresponsible. I suppose you could preface the comment with IMO but where does this information come from? For all we know he could be a great team mate and considered so by the entire team.

I've been pretty vocal about the need to let Connolly go and haven't wavered even when he has shown signs of rejuvenation. His time is done and its time for the sabres as a team to move forward. I agree with a lot of what you're saying but to call him locker room poison without offering anything to back it up is irresponsible. I suppose you could preface the comment with IMO but where does this information come from? For all we know he could be a great team mate and considered so by the entire team.

Thank you. Drives me crazy to read, "locker room cancer", "poison", "drunk", etc when people talk about athletes. Unless he was arrested for starting a lockerrom fight after coming to work drunk and poisoning a teammates water, these statements are baseless, wreckless and slanderous. If you feel compelled to type this tripe on a message board, please source your information.

I won't make a comment on his lockerroom persona because I have no way of knowing, but..... it has been widely reported in the various Buffalo news media that Connolly is a last on the ice, first off the ice guy when it comes to practice. Even when the team is in the playoffs or doing poorly. There is no dedication to his craft, he just doesn't put the work in. He has refused to put extra work into faceoffs, a skill he is very poor at, even when guys like Gaustad (at half his salary) stay late to work on faceoff skills. These traits do not a good teammate make.

who replaces connolly?

As a GM that is your question. Its not enough to say its addition by subtraction.

His minutes have to be replaced by someone, so is there someone in the system or an FA that can equal or better his play and those minutes?

who replaces connolly?

As a GM that is your question. Its not enough to say its addition by subtraction.

His minutes have to be replaced by someone, so is there someone in the system or an FA that can equal or better his play and those minutes?

We have been playing all season one center short. Roy will be back in next season and Connolly will be gone. There is your "repalcement". And we will still have Boyes, Hecht, Goose, and McCormick (assuming he re-signs) available.

And, as mentioned several times by others, there are centers available as FA's this summer. Most aren't impact players. But neither was Connolly. He is replaceable. Most likely at a lower salary too.

Darcy should try to sign him prior July 1st and use him as trade bait at the draft. maybe there are potential 1st-line centers like stastny, kopitar or even malkin available. Therefore I'd suggest 2 - 2.5 mil per year for 1-2 years would be an attracting price.

Nice List, Thank You. I would prefer signing Fleischman if you are looking at pure talent that could stick around a while. Just saying. Laisch might not be bad either. Not sure about Reasoner.... Kopecky would be ok too and I think Higgins would be a good fit. If I remember correctly he did really well in Dallas a few years back. Need to check on the stats.

Here are the unsigned UFA centers for next year. A trade may not be necessary. Look where Connolly is on this list. Should he really be the third-highest paid of all the UFA centers? Really?

Even if the Sabres don't sign Richards (who will be really, really expensive), isn't the money better spent on Kopecky and Reasoner, giving each a nice raise, than on just Connolly?

Brad Richards Dallas Stars 30 $7,800,000

Michael Nylander Washington Capitals 37 $4,875,000

Tim Connolly Buffalo Sabres 29 $4,500,000

Jason Arnott Washington Capitals 35 $4,500,000

Michal Handzus Los Angeles Kings 33 $4,000,000

Tomas Fleischmann Colorado Avalanche 26 $2,600,000

Todd White New York Rangers 35 $2,375,000

Vaclav Prospal New York Rangers 35 $2,100,000

Brooks Laich Washington Capitals 27 $2,067,000

Chad LaRose Carolina Hurricanes 28 $1,700,000

Chris Higgins Vancouver Canucks 27 $1,600,000

Kris Draper Detroit Red Wings 39 $1,583,000

Rob Niedermayer Buffalo Sabres 35 $1,250,000

Mike Modano Detroit Red Wings 40 $1,250,000

John Madden Minnesota Wild 37 $1,250,000

Tomas Kopecky Chicago Blackhawks 28 $1,200,000

Marty Reasoner Florida Panthers 33 $1,150,000

Todd Marchant Anaheim Ducks 36 $1,125,000

Vernon Fiddler Phoenix Coyotes 30 $1,100,000

Petr Prucha Phoenix Coyotes 27 $1,100,000

Patrick Rissmiller Florida Panthers 31 $1,000,000

Brian Sutherby Dallas Stars 28 $812,000

Marcel Goc Nashville Predators 26 $775,000

Scott Nichol San Jose Sharks 35 $760,000

Jerred Smithson Nashville Predators 31 $738,000

Ryan Carter Florida Panthers 26 $625,000

Andrew Murray Columbus Blue Jackets 28 $625,000

Ryan Shannon Ottawa Senators 27 $625,000

Jamie Lundmark Nashville Predators 29 $600,000

Zenon Konopka New York Islanders 29 $600,000

Jason Krog Atlanta Thrashers 34 $550,000

Rick Rypien Vancouver Canucks 26 $550,000

Cody McCormick Buffalo Sabres 27 $500,000

Alexandre Giroux Edmonton Oilers 29 $500,000

Andrew Ebbett Phoenix Coyotes 27 $500,000

Ryan Craig Pittsburgh Penguins 28 $500,000

Darcy should try to sign him prior July 1st and use him as trade bait at the draft. maybe there are potential 1st-line centers like stastny, kopitar or even malkin available. Therefore I'd suggest 2 - 2.5 mil per year for 1-2 years would be an attracting price.

I am going to give you the benefit of a doubt that you've been following the game for quite some time and see if your theory works out.

Frankly, a lot of us on here are very disappointed in how Connolly has turned out over the past few years. He has earned his way toward a plethora of invectives going against him from us - and for many good reasons. Just reading the comments on this thread alone should catch you up to speed.

In all honesty, I don't think Darcy is going to come up with such an elaborate scheme. IMO he is not going to get a new contract with us, which will allow him to go anywhere once 7.01 hits. After all, look at what happened with Craig Rivet. Once Pegula took over the team, Darcy got rid of Rivet in a hurry by placing him on waivers. Thus, a change of scenery might be a good thing for him.

At any rate, welcome to the forum! :)

You can "vote" for a trade for Stamkos, Malkin, Kane or Couture all you like.

I think it will be one new center, and that TC is gone.

Yea cuz thats what I said... If the whole bring in player x,y,z really bugs you that much, stop bringing it up, I said trade, never said who here. 1st I didnt start the stamkos thing I just found it interesting and said he would be RFA if unsigned by july 1. 2nd Malkin could be available as we have a lot of ties to pittsburg now and it seems that they may move away from their we need both top centers mentality but who honestly knows. 3rd why the F*ck would we trade for Kane? SERIOUSLY? FIND A POST THATS SAYS LETS TRADE FOR KANE. I actually posted a thing about how that was more likely under golisano and is a dumb idea. Finally Couture/Pavelski, I think might be in play one of them at least, and yup that's what I said. :thumbsup:

Voted NO wanted to vote NFW.

I totally agree with the sentiment that it is time to change the boys club mentality that has appeared to plague this team over the TG and LQ tenure. IMO not resigning Timmy is a good way to send that message to the rest of the team that a new attitude and style of play on the ice is expected to win that SC.

In posting that he is locker room poison, I really am not referring to any behind the scenes anything that we can not know about without some inside source. Rather I mean that his effort or lack thereof on the ice (or maybe it is lack of ability) combined with the coaching staff and front office's unrelenting dedication to playing him has had a negative effect on the team. I suppose a better phrase would be on ice poison.

In posting that he is locker room poison, I really am not referring to any behind the scenes anything that we can not know about without some inside source. Rather I mean that his effort or lack thereof on the ice (or maybe it is lack of ability) combined with the coaching staff and front office's unrelenting dedication to playing him has had a negative effect on the team. I suppose a better phrase would be on ice poison.

And I can certainly agree with that. I feel he does have a negative effect. At a fraction of his salary he might have been worth it these past 2 seasons but we overpayed big time for someone who's best years are clearly behind him.

I don't think it's a hard decision, even with a $2 million pay cut it would be too costly for the production he has shown. It doesn't seem like he's some needed locker room presence that helps the team out, with the effort he shows I'd say he's just the opposite. I see 8 FA's that I would like the team to retain and that's going to be costly, aside from POMMERS, CONNOLLY looks to be the next best and easiest (without working a trade) option to rid some salary without really hurting the team. To keep the needed FA's CONNOLLY must go.

Sabres salaries;

http://www.puckmeplease.com/nhl-team-payrolls/196-buffalo-sabres-payroll.html

We have been playing all season one center short. Roy will be back in next season and Connolly will be gone. There is your "repalcement". And we will still have Boyes, Hecht, Goose, and McCormick (assuming he re-signs) available.

And, as mentioned several times by others, there are centers available as FA's this summer. Most aren't impact players. But neither was Connolly. He is replaceable. Most likely at a lower salary too.

True but the only real centers on that list are Roy and Goose, the others arent really center and should be playing wing.

Its not a great summer for FA centers either.

That being said i dont think Connolly will or should be back next year.

He's coming back folks. You know it, and you know it and you know it... The only question is for how much....

Regier just announced that they have resigned connolly for next year. He will sit atop a water tank in the arena and during intermissions for a 1$ you can shoot pucks at the target and when you hit it, he gets dunked... He will make 8.00$ per hour and has to wear and islanders jersey cuz thats the team he should have been playing for all these years.

who replaces connolly?

The way he is playing this year his minutes could be replaced by anyone. Anyone.

9-22-31 in 56 games and a -11? Pass. There's no decision to be made. Cut ties, move along, next player, please.

Probably should stay out of the Connolly thread, then. ;)

:clapping:

I've thought his defensive play has looked better lately but that's about it. TC still stands for "turnover constantly" in my book. I used to love him, but he's frustrating. So much talent yet no fruit from it. I'm done with him regardless of how he finishes. I've thought he probably has seen how bright the future is with TP and is stepping it up so he can stay, I could be way off base though. Regardless, I don't want him back so I voted NO.

TC has never been dedicated, strong, or a leader, he is a negative influence on the whole locker room because he is a vet and barely shows up. Anyone who thinks this team is better with connolly on it should watch more hockey. He has never been great. We should look elsewhere for a true top center and His negative attitude makes it easy to pass on him for anything thing else, hes not worth it

In the role that TC currently fills (or doesn't fill) there is no question in my mind that he needs to go. As i said, having him as the third center on our depth chart would not be a bad gig, anticipating that we could pay him less. However, if you are suggesting that we should keep Boyes at the center position, common, dream a little bigger. The guys a one time 40 goal scorer (on the wing) and i think the first priority for next season should be landing us a couple of centers to feed our over abundance in the winger category. Easier said than done? Definitely. What we need to really move this team towards a championship? Absolutely. Theres a reason Boyes played wing with the Blues. It's because thats what he was better at.

Archived