Connolly going forward???

LabattBlue

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any way you want Connolly on the team in 11-12?

• Yes
    • No

tc as a 2nd line center? no. Third line, eh. Not on the team, yes. Unless he makes 2mil or less he needs to be long gone, and even then idk if hes worth a pot or a window...

I only say second line because im calling for lines 1 and 3 to provide the most scoring, just like 06-07, so he's our third best center on the depth chart. fourth best depending on how you value gaustads faceoff ability.

06-07 center depth through the first three went Briere then Roy then Drury

roy was certainly the lesser of the three that year

11-12 center depth? (unclear #1) then connoly then Roy could be just as good, if not better than the 06-07 centers IMO, if we manage to make a blockbuster move over the summer that is.

I only say second line because im calling for lines 1 and 3 to provide the most scoring, just like 06-07, so he's our third best center on the depth chart. fourth best depending on how you value gaustads faceoff ability.

06-07 center depth through the first three went Briere then Roy then Drury

roy was certainly the lesser of the three that year

11-12 center depth? (unclear #1) then connoly then Roy could be just as good, if not better than the 06-07 centers IMO, if we manage to make a blockbuster move over the summer that is.

I just want to make sure that I understand that you are slating Connolly ABOVE Roy in next year's depth chart if he stays?

I just want to make sure that I understand that you are slating Connolly ABOVE Roy in next year's depth chart if he stays?

Not at all, Depth wise we would be (Number1) - Roy - TC

I am simply drawing the comparison that in 06-07 while our depth chart looked like Briere - Drury - Roy

the second best center was in fact centering the third line, and the 1st and third lines carried a large amount of the scoring.

Connoly is NOT better than Roy, not in a million years, just saying if we ran a similar system then connoly centering a less potent second line in favor of a more potent third centered by roy could be adventageous. In this scenario second line does not necessarily mean second best.

Not at all, Depth wise we would be (Number1) - Roy - TC

I am simply drawing the comparison that in 06-07 while our depth chart looked like Briere - Drury - Roy

the second best center was in fact centering the third line, and the 1st and third lines carried a large amount of the scoring.

Connoly is NOT better than Roy, not in a million years, just saying if we ran a similar system then connoly centering a less potent second line in favor of a more potent third centered by roy could be adventageous. In this scenario second line does not necessarily mean second best.

I understand what you are saying but drury was a threat no matter what line he played on, after about a week every nhl team would just adjust and put there second line against our third it would be superfluous.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that? Not to say you're wrong or anything of the sort, but define used to be?

I think what she's getting at is that with the new sheriff in town and the old guard gone, he's a prime example of what the old guard should NOT have done - and that was to give him the extremely overvalued contract that is set to expire.

Am I right, chz?

I think what she's getting at is that with the new sheriff in town and the old guard gone, he's a prime example of what the old guard should NOT have done - and that was to give him the extremely overvalued contract that is set to expire.

Am I right, chz?

Makes perfect sense to me. If we do end up dealing him though it will only hurt us in terms of depth at the center position. I do not want to just cross my fingers and hope that Adam develops into a viable replacement in the off season. If he does move then we're going to need to try to sign not one but two centers during the off season. Doable certainly, but something to keep in mind.

Makes perfect sense to me. If we do end up dealing him though it will only hurt us in terms of depth at the center position. I do not want to just cross my fingers and hope that Adam develops into a viable replacement in the off season. If he does move then we're going to need to try to sign not one but two centers during the off season. Doable certainly, but something to keep in mind.

I don't think we're dealing. I think he's just about at the end of his contract. I just hope Darcy has enough sense to let him go like he did to Dmitri Kalinin.

EDIT: If I read this right, he's a UFA at the end of this season.

There will be no dealing Connolly. He is a UFA at the end of the season.

Like I said upthread, our worst case scenario fi we don't sign a center in the offseason is to go with Roy and Boyes as our #1 and 2. And we have Hecht, Goose, and McCormick for the back lines. He'll be no big loss.

I don't think we're dealing. I think he's just about at the end of his contract. I just hope Darcy has enough sense to let him go like he did to Dmitri Kalinin.

EDIT: If I read this right, he's a UFA at the end of this season.

you're right, i shouldn't have said dealing. His contract does end. but still, if he walks then that leaves a hole at the center position. That hole's size will vary on who you ask, but its a hole nonetheless

This will be Darcy's pass or fail moment under Pegs.

Exactly. I still can't figure if the statements Pegula made about the media and fans criticizing Tim were because he actually likes him, or was just trying to support his employee. Will Darcy make a deal with Connolly for around 2mil and trade him next deadline? Luke Adam

Even if Connolly continues to play well and contribute offensively into the playoffs he still represents the past and always will. He is a symbol of all of the decisions made under TG/LQ. He needs to move on so the new organization can move forward.

Worst case if we can't replace him is our top 2 centers are Derek Roy and Brad Boyes. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

ETA- Is anyone here willing to accept Darcy saying "we tried to make something happen and couldn't find another center on the market so we are glad to have TC back for another year"?

I can already see this. Besides Richards, what UFA centers are there? Luke Adam

He's the epitome of what we use to be, not the future, not for $1, not for 9 mill.

Completely agree. Much rather see them take the 2 million Darcy will offer him and lock up some RFAs.

I am really surprised with the results of this poll. If it was asked 6 months ago it would have been overwhelmingly NO. Forget that, if you had asked last Thursday it would have been NO, I guess since he has played well against the worst teams in the league, and the Sabres won...

Timmy is gone unless he wants to sign for 1.25 million. I've noticed he has stopped staring at his skates and been seeing the ice better the past few weeks. But we need the cap space since Stafford is going to get 5 million. I would like to see the pole on whether or not they just buy out Hetch, Pville, or both. Come to think of it, I would rather have the Tin Man at ~2 mil if it means we free up the cap space they are sitting on.

Tim Connolly is not a #1 center, never was and never will be. That said, if he is will to play for less than $2 mill a season and this team is willing to sign a number one center? Why not sign him? He's a better option at fourth line center than Gaustad.

Tim Connolly is not a #1 center, never was and never will be. That said, if he is will to play for less than $2 mill a season and this team is willing to sign a number one center? Why not sign him? He's a better option at fourth line center than Gaustad.

That depends on what you want your 4th line center to do. I want mine to be an energy guy that can do some ###### disturbing and provide some energy. No way I want Connolly filling that role. Goose isn't ideal for it either but I'll take Gaustad over Connolly every time.

why are we talking about resigning connolly? Seriously?? Put Boyes at center all next year between ennis and pommers/staff and we would be way better off. There are a bunch of UFA centrs and that has been addressed in the july 1 thread and no we are not talking stamkos actually UFA's

That depends on what you want your 4th line center to do. I want mine to be an energy guy that can do some ###### disturbing and provide some energy. No way I want Connolly filling that role. Goose isn't ideal for it either but I'll take Gaustad over Connolly every time.

QFT

Interesting poll. I've been wondering about this myself. It's definitely tempting to think about keeping TC as a #3 center at $2MM x 1 year. However, I think the bottom line is that TC is identified in pretty much everyone's mind as a symbol of the old underperforming regime and will be swept clean by the new broom.

As far as that goes, I can't help thinking that DR wanted to unload him after last year's playoffs -- based on the post-mortem presser after losing to Boston -- and was prevented from doing so by TG/LQ.

The other major factor is that the Sabres don't have enough cap room to sign all of their RFAs (including Stafford, who I think they will end up signing for about $3.5MM, but it could be higher) and TC and a big-ticket UFA. That changes if they can find someone to take Pommer off of their hands, but I find that highly unlikely, Fletch.

why are we talking about resigning connolly? Seriously?? Put Boyes at center all next year between ennis and pommers/staff and we would be way better off. There are a bunch of UFA centrs and that has been addressed in the july 1 thread and no we are not talking stamkos actually UFA's

So Connolly plays wing then?

The basis would be to resign him to a low money deal if he's willing to come back at that, obviously if they're dropping $3.5M they'd be better off using it elsewhere, but his work on the PK alone values him somewhere between $1.5-2M. Hell, Niedermayer is making $1.25M this year.

Also, I thought what was addressed in that thread is that there really arent a bunch of FA centers, just unrealistic trade partners.

If you have injuries Connolly can play some shifts on the first two lines. Gaustad would just bog them down.

So Connolly plays wing then?

The basis would be to resign him to a low money deal if he's willing to come back at that, obviously if they're dropping $3.5M they'd be better off using it elsewhere, but his work on the PK alone values him somewhere between $1.5-2M. Hell, Niedermayer is making $1.25M this year.

Also, I thought what was addressed in that thread is that there really arent a bunch of FA centers, just unrealistic trade partners.

Actually someone went through and pulled a bunch of UFA centers, and NO WE WOULDNT USE CONNOLLLY AT WING! He would be off the team , gone, no longer, out, away, not a sabre.

Interesting poll. I've been wondering about this myself. It's definitely tempting to think about keeping TC as a #3 center at $2MM x 1 year. However, I think the bottom line is that TC is identified in pretty much everyone's mind as a symbol of the old underperforming regime and will be swept clean by the new broom.

As far as that goes, I can't help thinking that DR wanted to unload him after last year's playoffs -- based on the post-mortem presser after losing to Boston -- and was prevented from doing so by TG/LQ.

I don't buy into that, Darcy has been in love with his as proven by the raise he gave him. (On a side note, was the Peca for Tim and Pyratt a good deal or not. Seeing how Peca is retired I have to say yes.)

The other major factor is that the Sabres don't have enough cap room to sign all of their RFAs (including Stafford, who I think they will end up signing for about $3.5MM, but it could be higher) and TC and a big-ticket UFA. That changes if they can find someone to take Pommer off of their hands, but I find that highly unlikely, Fletch.

3.5 would be great, but no happening. Looking at 4-5. I don't see anyone taking on Jason's salary of 5.3. They are going to have to keep him and buy out hecht, otherwise we are looking at basically the same team next year.

Here are the unsigned UFA centers for next year. A trade may not be necessary. Look where Connolly is on this list. Should he really be the third-highest paid of all the UFA centers? Really?

Even if the Sabres don't sign Richards (who will be really, really expensive), isn't the money better spent on Kopecky and Reasoner, giving each a nice raise, than on just Connolly?

Brad Richards Dallas Stars 30 $7,800,000

Michael Nylander Washington Capitals 37 $4,875,000

Tim Connolly Buffalo Sabres 29 $4,500,000

Jason Arnott Washington Capitals 35 $4,500,000

Michal Handzus Los Angeles Kings 33 $4,000,000

Tomas Fleischmann Colorado Avalanche 26 $2,600,000

Todd White New York Rangers 35 $2,375,000

Vaclav Prospal New York Rangers 35 $2,100,000

Brooks Laich Washington Capitals 27 $2,067,000

Chad LaRose Carolina Hurricanes 28 $1,700,000

Chris Higgins Vancouver Canucks 27 $1,600,000

Kris Draper Detroit Red Wings 39 $1,583,000

Rob Niedermayer Buffalo Sabres 35 $1,250,000

Mike Modano Detroit Red Wings 40 $1,250,000

John Madden Minnesota Wild 37 $1,250,000

Tomas Kopecky Chicago Blackhawks 28 $1,200,000

Marty Reasoner Florida Panthers 33 $1,150,000

Todd Marchant Anaheim Ducks 36 $1,125,000

Vernon Fiddler Phoenix Coyotes 30 $1,100,000

Petr Prucha Phoenix Coyotes 27 $1,100,000

Patrick Rissmiller Florida Panthers 31 $1,000,000

Brian Sutherby Dallas Stars 28 $812,000

Marcel Goc Nashville Predators 26 $775,000

Scott Nichol San Jose Sharks 35 $760,000

Jerred Smithson Nashville Predators 31 $738,000

Ryan Carter Florida Panthers 26 $625,000

Andrew Murray Columbus Blue Jackets 28 $625,000

Ryan Shannon Ottawa Senators 27 $625,000

Jamie Lundmark Nashville Predators 29 $600,000

Zenon Konopka New York Islanders 29 $600,000

Jason Krog Atlanta Thrashers 34 $550,000

Rick Rypien Vancouver Canucks 26 $550,000

Cody McCormick Buffalo Sabres 27 $500,000

Alexandre Giroux Edmonton Oilers 29 $500,000

Andrew Ebbett Phoenix Coyotes 27 $500,000

Ryan Craig Pittsburgh Penguins 28 $500,000

Let him walk. Too many years of indiffeent play. Too many stories of the worst faceoff guy on the team unwilling to work on his faceoffs after practice and being last on, first off the ice. It is time this team moved in a new direction.

Connolly should be the first player to be upgraded in the offseason.

This is it exactly.

"He ain't going nowhere"..

Unfortunately, you are probably right. Darcy Regier has a man crush on Connolly. He just loves him for some reason. Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if Regier gives him a raise.

Of course, it is absolutely ridiculous to keep him, but Regier has built a team without significant centers and he feels the need to keep him out of necessity. The Sabres are weak at the center position throughout the organization.

Unless the Sabres sign two new centers by trade or free agency, Connolly will be back. This is a sad reality.

Archived