Connolly going forward???

LabattBlue

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any way you want Connolly on the team in 11-12?

• Yes
    • No

Also, everything at this point is "Fake trade talk", unless you all operate Deloreans with Flux capacitors, we have no idea whats going to happen over the summer.

shhhhh, you are not one of the chosen few on here who know everything... shhhhh, they will attack you with indian food.

I voted no and it's pretty easy. I never thought the Sabres should have re-signed him after the 2006 season originally. His cap number was the exact same number that Dumont got in arbitration. I would have much rather kept Dumont than Connolly back in 2006. No question about it.

My only thought here is if the Sabres make the playoffs, and let's assume you could re-sign Connolly for less, say $2-$2.5 million for next year. Would it be interesting to trade Derek Roy to upgrade talent somewhere else on the team say perhaps at center or for another top tier RFA type player like a Zach Parise (again, not necessarily him and I don't think he gets traded, but someone in a similar category)? I don't think Roy's injury this year necessarily hurts his trade value as he has been the leading scorer on this team every year since the 2007-2008 season. So, he's probably a really good player on a good team vs. the best player on a mediocre team.

Even after putting out that hypothetical scenario, I'd still rather keep Roy, let Connolly walk, and trade/sign a center who can take Connolly's money, Rivet's money and the additional money left over assuming the Cap increases. I don't think Brad Richards is coming to Buffalo, but maybe we can find a top notch center to come in and allow Roy to play the 2nd Line Center position next year.

Archived