New goal song (old White thread)

PASabreFan

The hoohrah, hoohrah phrase could work.............

Exactly. You are not going to get 18000 people to sing a metal song, end of story. The chorus of '1000 swords' is catchy and easy for a crowd to sing. That is paramount to the discussion; fun and catchy is going to beat out 'awesome' every day.

And for those whining about its gayness, you're obsessing. :)

Also: the last thing we need is some sort of American Idol-style shoot out. That will ensure we get some bland boring crap that sounds like, well, American Idol or the GGD (not a fan).

Exactly. You are not going to get 18000 people to sing a metal song, end of story. The chorus of '1000 swords' is catchy and easy for a crowd to sing. That is paramount to the discussion; fun and catchy is going to beat out 'awesome' every day.

And for those whining about its gayness, you're obsessing. :)

Also: the last thing we need is some sort of American Idol-style shoot out. That will ensure we get some bland boring crap that sounds like, well, American Idol or the GGD (not a fan).

Metal and hard rock works if you want to get people amped up. They're not going to play an entire song anyway, most likely the first 20 seconds (30 seconds tops) before the next face off. If you want to get the crowd cheering, screaming, or singing just bring back the ooooh aaaah, Sabres on the Warpath chant. Putting those words on the jumbo screen will get the crowding chanting it in no time, especially after a goal.

This would be awesome too....with the whole crowd doing the yodel?

Another good one would be Seven Nation Army....which, while done a lot (especially with soccer chants)....would be awesome if it were played as a goal song then as the post-goal face-off you have the crowd continuing without the music chanting "Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuufff-fa-looooooooo"

No.. not in vegas. But appropriate to this thread.. 'Johny Vegas' was the name of my old band.

Did your band go by a different name either before or after Johny Vegas? I had a band circa 2002-04 that played a lot of small local shows in the Rochester area, and Johny Vegas sounds very familiar for some reason.

Actually, after some more thought, I think I may be thinking of a band called Johnny Action.

Metal and hard rock works if you want to get people amped up. They're not going to play an entire song anyway, most likely the first 20 seconds (30 seconds tops) before the next face off. If you want to get the crowd cheering, screaming, or singing just bring back the ooooh aaaah, Sabres on the Warpath chant. Putting those words on the jumbo screen will get the crowding chanting it in no time, especially after a goal.

The home team just scored a goal, they don't really need to be amp'd up. :) It's most young-ish white guys that get amp'd up to begin with. The I think the rest of the crowd won't even register it as anything other than 'loud music'.

Sad as it is to say, metal and hard rock generally just annoy me now. It was great when I was an angry teen (I was in a metal band for awhile) and even now I enjoy it from time to time, but I'm not angry any more. Especially after the Sabres score.

Hey I've got a great idea thats along the lines of that gay sword of 1000 men one. Its by that mulleted pedophile Gary Glitter and they still play it in minor hockey rinks nation wide. Why not in Buffalo? Actually on a serious note, I like that one by AC/DC. I'm not sure what its called but it has ' we're gonna walk all over you ' in the lyrics. Problem is if you can't back it up on the ice you look like a dolt.

The home team just scored a goal, they don't really need to be amp'd up. :) It's most young-ish white guys that get amp'd up to begin with. The I think the rest of the crowd won't even register it as anything other than 'loud music'.

Sad as it is to say, metal and hard rock generally just annoy me now. It was great when I was an angry teen (I was in a metal band for awhile) and even now I enjoy it from time to time, but I'm not angry any more. Especially after the Sabres score.

Fair enough, man. I'm 29 but I still love it as much now as I did when I was in middle and high school although I tend to prefer the bands I listened to back in my teens to the new bands that have come out since then. To each his/her own though I guess.

I don't understand all the complaints about Swords of 1000 Men. I think of any of the suggestions made here, it's the most desirable for a post goal song. There are too many people here with too narrow music tastes who aren't willing to look outside the box at something that actually makes sense.

This song is corny, has a simple chorus, and will sound good at the arena. No reason not to try it out. I bet it works better than all you haters think.

I don't understand all the complaints about Swords of 1000 Men. I think of any of the suggestions made here, it's the most desirable for a post goal song. There are too many people here with too narrow music tastes who aren't willing to look outside the box at something that actually makes sense.

This song is corny, has a simple chorus, and will sound good at the arena. No reason not to try it out. I bet it works better than all you haters think.

I'm no hater I just think some of you sheeple are too quick to jump on the first suggestion that comes along. And my musical tastes are as diverse as they can get. People have different opinions but thats o.k.,you can decide for sabres nation whats best for them. IMO one day this song will be as hated as the dreaded slug.

I'm no hater I just think some of you sheeple are too quick to jump on the first suggestion that comes along. And my musical tastes are as diverse as they can get. People have different opinions but thats o.k.,you can decide for sabres nation whats best for them. IMO one day this song will be as hated as the dreaded slug.

agreed.

Look at the bigger picture. This new regime is something else! They are listening to the fans.

Certainly the song is not so bad it will be hated. (And I doubt it's going to be anything more than the flavor of the season. It's not like it's going to replace the Sabre Dance.)

thanks vanek-man for linking the edited version.

you know ... i like it. it's growing on me. i think it could work.

as has been stated, i think there's real promise in the hoorah-hoorah-hoorah-hay! part.

i think it's natural that people would slag on it/express skepticism in the abstract. but when they fire that puppy up after vanek buries a snap shot from the face-off dot to put us up on the 'canes 1-0 ... i think the feeling will change.

'sides ... i used to "woohoo" along with ... what was that. some unnamed song by some nirvana-progeny (or was nirvana the unnamed band's progeny?). whatever. "woohoo" worked nicely -- but it was too generic to stick.

bring on the kilts. bring on the stout. bring on the pipes. bring on the bad teeth (HA!). yeah, bring on the swords of a thousand men.

Look at the bigger picture. This new regime is something else! They are listening to the fans.

Certainly the song is not so bad it will be hated. (And I doubt it's going to be anything more than the flavor of the season. It's not like it's going to replace the Sabre Dance.)

I suppose but look how fast everyone ran out to buy the slug jersey. Its certainly despised now. Give people a chance. They'll realize soon enough how hokey this makes the sabres organization look when they can't even get this right. imo this song will eventually be despised. I'm already embarrassed and they haven't played it yet.

I admit I didn't like it the first time I heard it. But after going through it a few times, it has been stuck in my head. It's an unexpected little find and I give Jeremy credit for digging it up. I'm not saying it's perfect, but give the man credit for coming up with something better than anyone else here has.

I admit I didn't like it the first time I heard it. But after going through it a few times, it has been stuck in my head. It's an unexpected little find and I give Jeremy credit for digging it up. I'm not saying it's perfect, but give the man credit for coming up with something better than anyone else here has.

Yeah,I'm not going to hate on it any more. I've said my piece. Hopefully after the game someone can start a poll that includes all sabres fans to see the response. It would actually be better if they had a number of different ones including this one at the game then allowed the fans to choose the best one. I'm more for the democratic process and if this is what people want I can live with it. I was just expecting so much more from the new regime than what I've heard here.

Yeah,I'm not going to hate on it any more. I've said my piece. Hopefully after the game someone can start a poll that includes all sabres fans to see the response. It would actually be better if they had a number of different ones including this one at the game then allowed the fans to choose the best one. I'm more for the democratic process and if this is what people want I can live with it. I was just expecting so much more from the new regime than what I've heard here.

Well Jessie did say her mom agreed to it as a "test."

Other suggestions were made to Jessie via twitter but I think she decided to recommend this one be tried first. If people don't like it I'm sure she'll hear feedback.

thanks vanek-man for linking the edited version.

you know ... i like it. it's growing on me. i think it could work.

as has been stated, i think there's real promise in the hoorah-hoorah-hoorah-hay! part.

i think it's natural that people would slag on it/express skepticism in the abstract. but when they fire that puppy up after vanek buries a snap shot from the face-off dot to put us up on the 'canes 1-0 ... i think the feeling will change.

'sides ... i used to "woohoo" along with ... what was that. some unnamed song by some nirvana-progeny (or was nirvana the unnamed band's progeny?). whatever. "woohoo" worked nicely -- but it was too generic to stick.

bring on the kilts. bring on the stout. bring on the pipes. bring on the bad teeth (HA!). yeah, bring on the swords of a thousand men.

I think it'd be great for the Sabres to have their 'own' unique goal celebration song. The one the Hawks play is pretty campy but it works.

Not sold on the one Jeremy White proposed, but if it doesn't work I have faith that the Pegula crew will find one that does.

I'm still partial to the Kings. (For a goal celebration using some portion(s) of the piece from 2:40 through 3:12.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxkjvKBPQjo&feature=related

Archived