GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Great description. Lindy used the same "switch has flipped" phrase to describe Stafford this morning on WGR, btw.

It would be crazy to include Stafford in a package for anything less than a true #1 center.

I'd much rather Roy -- but again, only in a package for a true top-line player.

It's certainly a fair point you raise about whether the Sabres will trade TC if they are in the 8th (or 7th, for that matter) spot.

Tallinder had a very good last year, but he was never as good as Stafford is right now.

I think it's pretty rare for anyone with a big non-expiring contract to get traded at the deadline. In any event they should not trade Gaustad. I'd be fine with trading either of the other 2.

If you want them to make the playoffs, I will respectfully submit that you shouldn't offer up this bet. (especially given the amount of bickering in just this thread).

A few other game notes:

1. That was a great win for the Sabres, and for most of the game until Roloson freaked out, it was a great hockey game.

2. Yet another TB game in which the Sabres (especially Vanek) pad their stats. However, TV's goals were not garbage-time, and he deserves credit for clutch scoring this time.

3. Miller let in 4, but really made a bunch of big saves to keep it close until the Sabres caught up and pulled away. There was in particular a fantastic pad save on a Stamkos one-timer.

4. Weber was 2nd on the team in ice time, only a few seconds behind Leopold, who had a huge game and is looking like a nice FA pickup by DR.

5. Morrisson had a pretty good game and has quietly been playing pretty well the last 4-5 games since being paired with Weber.

6. I've had a pretty mixed record as a fantasy GM, but I'm feeling pretty good about picking up Ennis and Stafford off of waivers a couple of weeks ago and playing them both this week. Stafford even had 4 PIM tonight!

7. I will agree with PA that there is no reason to turn the GDT into a barrage of recriminations and name-calling, especially after a great win like that one.

8. Am I crazy or does Grier have a great deal more spring in his step now that TG and LQ (who let him walk as a UFA in 2006) are officially leaving?

9. Ennis' bullet pass from the corner to TC for the go-ahead goal was a thing of beauty -- in the top 5 Sabres goals of the year.

10. Stafford is officially off the trading block.

11. Did anyone think the Sabres looked, y'know, well coached?

This team is going to make the playoffs.

Go Sabres.

I think this team looks well coached and really have been playing like a well oiled machine for a while now. These guys are playing for each other and believe it or not, for their coach. And please, don't trade Stafford.

I think this team looks well coached and really have been playing like a well oiled machine for a while now. These guys are playing for each other and believe it or not, for their coach. And please, don't trade Stafford.

Ever since Roy went down? That's all they talked about in post game on WGR.

If you want them to make the playoffs, I will respectfully submit that you shouldn't offer up this bet. (especially given the amount of bickering in just this thread).

Speaking of bets, you only need Connolly to play 12 of last 30 to win our bet.

You are still seeing bickering because those of us that want sweeping changes got the first round with ownership, and it seems as if Pegula is on board with a "rebranding", but we don't want him to get weak in the knees now. I don't know his experience or resolve when coming to this team, so as much as I am sure we ALL want the team to make the playoffs.....success over the next 3 weeks can hamper this franchise the next 3 years. It's like Groundhog Day to some of us, and this little win splurge is like Bill Murray waking up to "I Got You Babe".

A leopard doesn't change it's spots. This team has played well at times and feeds on confidence. They also have failed to show any strength in the midst of adversity. Yes, there has been a spark, but it is also the same group of players for the most part.

The worst case scenario is that the Sabres do enough over the next 2 weeks to not sell whatever they can, they skirt at or near 8th place for a few more weeks, then their schedule, size, and goalie catch up to them as they freefall the last 3 weeks of the season. I truly feel this will be the case as far as the on ice performance....but I do not know what the front office will do. That's what has people on edge.

I already feel better watching this team because of the ownership change. Pegula is going to do what he can to make this a championship franchise. I just want him to be able to do so properly, as fast as possible.

Ever since Roy went down? That's all they talked about in post game on WGR.

Before people make too much out of the record since Roy has gone out, I saw this on TSN yesterday:

Pittsburgh is 8-3-1 since Crosby was injured and 4-1-0 without both Crosby and Malkin in the lineup

I read an article stating Pegula's company had drilled into a time warp ...

this gave me a genuine laugh.

Great description. Lindy used the same "switch has flipped" phrase to describe Stafford this morning on WGR, btw.

Go Sabres.

great post. from your keyboard, to god's ears.

the debate over whether stafford's flip has switched (vice versa?) or if he's just playing out of his mind to secure a 5-year deal and decent chunk of change is unduly dichotomous. which is to say: like almost everything in the universe, it's probably not one or the other -- it's some combination of both.

that said, once stafford comes out on the other side of this tear, h can't help but be a different player in terms of savvy, confidence, experience, etc. i can't see trading him at this point -- there's downside to his future, yes, but the upside is (much) bigger (and, imo, he's more likely to hew toward his upside going forward).

This is Playoff hockey Mutha-fukka. Haven't Hecht and Vinnie faught before?

3 goals in a bit over 1:30

6 goals in 1 period.

Can't remember the last time this happened.

That was just pure fun.

Playoff chances up to 40% after last night.

It was a nice comeback and a fun game to watch.

While everyone is excited that the Sabres have games in hand, that also means playing the most games in the shortest amount of time.

Miller....29 straight games.

This is why I think we go for a backup goaltender at the deadline. If you don't have enough confidence in your current backup to play him at all, why keep him around.

Downie grabbed the linesman's arm, no? Did I imagine that? He already had the misconduct, so he was not penalized for doing that. I hope the league takes a look at it. There's your free morning chuckle.

There was definitely contact, but I thought it was more of a "get your hands off me" slap, IIRC. Either way, Downie is a ticking time bomb with a history of cheap shots and suspensions.

Speaking of bets, you only need Connolly to play 12 of last 30 to win our bet.

You are still seeing bickering because those of us that want sweeping changes got the first round with ownership, and it seems as if Pegula is on board with a "rebranding", but we don't want him to get weak in the knees now. I don't know his experience or resolve when coming to this team, so as much as I am sure we ALL want the team to make the playoffs.....success over the next 3 weeks can hamper this franchise the next 3 years. It's like Groundhog Day to some of us, and this little win splurge is like Bill Murray waking up to "I Got You Babe".

A leopard doesn't change it's spots. This team has played well at times and feeds on confidence. They also have failed to show any strength in the midst of adversity. Yes, there has been a spark, but it is also the same group of players for the most part.

The worst case scenario is that the Sabres do enough over the next 2 weeks to not sell whatever they can, they skirt at or near 8th place for a few more weeks, then their schedule, size, and goalie catch up to them as they freefall the last 3 weeks of the season. I truly feel this will be the case as far as the on ice performance....but I do not know what the front office will do. That's what has people on edge.

I already feel better watching this team because of the ownership change. Pegula is going to do what he can to make this a championship franchise. I just want him to be able to do so properly, as fast as possible.

I see your point in theory, but in practice I don't think any moves that the Sabres make or don't make at the deadline are likely to have much in the way of long-term consequences. While it's possible that in the offseason they could unload some of their higher-salaried guys, at the deadline, it's generally just the upcoming FAs that get traded. The only upcoming FAs that they would get anything for are TC and Monty. They might get a couple of 2nd-rounders for those two, more or less. Failing to convert those 2 guys into 2nd-round picks just isn't going to have much of an impact.

Now, if you're imploring them not to give away the farm to bring in Richards as a rental, I will agree, but that is a pretty unlikely scenario anyway.

If you're urging TP not to go wobbly and perhaps retain DR and LR -- this should be an offseason decision, to be made upon a real review of operations, right? No reason to start firing people now.

As for this being more or less the same group of guys -- I think where you stand on this depends on how much of a teardown you think the roster needs. I (and I think many others) have thought that the Sabres didn't need a teardown, but rather that they just needed 2-3 key moves, including probably 2 new guys in the top 6 and more toughness on D. Well, their top D pairing in terms of ice time last night was Weber and Morrisson, both of whom are new and both of whom are plenty tough and physical. Stafford is filling the role of a dynamic new top 6 forward. And I think it's becoming harder and harder to dispute that they are playing better without Roy and with TC in a reduced role.

Do they still need a true #1 center? Absolutely. Would it help if Myers regained all of his mojo? Yes (although that hit on Downie last night was very sweet and I think Myers is generally playing a tougher game). But I look at this team and I see a group of guys who are playing with a lot of heart and toughness, both mental and physical, and who are getting scoring out of the guys who are supposed to score AND out of some new guys, and I don't think they need to change half the roster.

Before people make too much out of the record since Roy has gone out, I saw this on TSN yesterday:

Hard to argue with the Crosby point, but still. If you could swing a deal and turn Roy and, say, Enroth and a #1, into Parise (with a contract extension), you would do it in a heartbeat, right?

Downie grabbed the linesman's arm, no? Did I imagine that? He already had the misconduct, so he was not penalized for doing that. I hope the league takes a look at it. There's your free morning chuckle.

I was expecting Downie to be ejected for that. He should be suspended.

Well, since Vanek had two hat tricks against Tampa Bay alone one year (2007-08, I think, but may have been 2008-09), I'm going to go with him.

Yup, I think the VS broadcast mentioned it? Vanek 07-08. Is he really the only other one in 17 years though?

Yup, I think the VS broadcast mentioned it? Vanek 07-08. Is he really the only other one in 17 years though?

Vanek and Stafford are the only Buffalo players in 17 years. As for other teams, Marion Gaborik and Alexander Semin both have 3 hat tricks this season as well.

I was expecting Downie to be ejected for that. He should be suspended.

Sounds like a no-brainer for 10 games. Alas, this is the NHL.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately

strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies

physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or

who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically

suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of

the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player

knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause

injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately

applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions

as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent

to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended

for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his

actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an

official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of

equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official,

shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at

or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies

physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of

such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be

suspended for not less than three (3) games.

I haven't heard much about his return recently, but whatever the rough estimate was originally, I believe that if we make it to the ECF or SCF, it's close to his return time! Just sayin'! :ph34r:

If the Sabres are crushing opponents and get to the ECF or SCF without Roy, I say leave him out unless they need him to replace an injury. Good chemistry is hard to find, and this team is clicking without him.

He's been awesome all year, and has absolutely owned several games all on his own, like the Columbus game for example. He has shown flashes in the past too, so it's not like this is all out of the blue. I just don't believe that he's getting lucky or what not. Maybe the contract year just woke him up to mature and get committed? It's not just his hands and skating that is very impressive, it's his grit. The play vs. Hedman was awesome, despite him getting 2 minutes. Then the hit which caused the loose puck to get to Ennis who passed it to Connolly was a major grit play by Stafford.

I just hope you're right, for Stafford's sake and for ours.

The part of Stafford's game that has really matured is moving without the puck and finding shooting lanes. He's taking the shots he's given and daring the goaltender to make the save. He's scoring goal scorer's goals. I think the switch has flipped.

He's basically doing everything Pominville isn't. And I like it. Maybe someone needs to flip Pommer's switch?

DEFCON BORE.

:clapping:

Stafford is the second player in 17 years to have 3 or more hat tricks in one season.

Guess the other one.

Well, since Vanek had two hat tricks against Tampa Bay alone one year (2007-08, I think, but may have been 2008-09), I'm going to go with him.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, meant Sabre player. :thumbsup:

Biggest period of the year coming up. They can not afford to lose this game. Carolina, Florida and Toronto are all winning at this point.

How do you make this post, and then later effectively say over and over that this game means nothing--e.g. "it(this game) just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things." I know you like to be argumentative, but schizophrenia is something altogether different.

Archived