Predicting whether the Sabres will make the playoffs

Barnabov

Do you think Buffalo will make the playoffs?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Buffalo will make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

I owe you $30 at the Sabre Store for Connolly playing 50+. Do you want to go double or nothing on the Sabres making the playoffs? I say they miss. I should get 2-1 if they are 70%, but I'm willing to wager even money.

I agree that tonight is the night. If they win tonight I think they could push through. There are a lot of things going against them still, but i can't deny that Philly game showed something diffferent. With these guys though, if they lose 2 in a row....all the feel good confidence will be lost and they are on their own without momentum. That's where I don't think they have it in them. They need to be 3 points secure in a spot come the last 5 games because they will be hanging on by their fingernails in my opinion.

Wouldn't expect anything less Ghost

I love that this thread was started on January 21 with the Sabres on a 7-2-1 stretch.

November 21 thread would be more instructive.

I don't recall many "we will make" folks then. A few "you can make up a couple of points in four months" folks, sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I owe you $30 at the Sabre Store for Connolly playing 50+. Do you want to go double or nothing on the Sabres making the playoffs? I say they miss. I should get 2-1 if they are 70%, but I'm willing to wager even money.

I agree that tonight is the night. If they win tonight I think they could push through. There are a lot of things going against them still, but i can't deny that Philly game showed something diffferent. With these guys though, if they lose 2 in a row....all the feel good confidence will be lost and they are on their own without momentum. That's where I don't think they have it in them. They need to be 3 points secure in a spot come the last 5 games because they will be hanging on by their fingernails in my opinion.

Well, I'd be happy to take the bet, but I don't want you to be in the position of rooting against the Sabres to make the playoffs. Instant karma's gonna get you. How 'bout some kind of alternative bet? Maybe something relating to offseason moves? I'm open for anything reasonable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5354/sabres-battle-back-into-east-playoff-race

Interesting read from pierre on the cross checks blog...tonight is gonna be an uphill battle with no vanek, no kaleta and no hecht, very good test... Especially considering how rough the pens can be and how the boys will respond physically with the absence of kaleta

Odd? or not?

We play each of the 1st through 7th place teams once.

We play all of the teams under us once (Canes and Leafs twice) except for Islanders.

Hmmmmm, that is kind of strange. Well, we proved on Saturday that we can hang with the best of them (although we got a lucky bounce or two). I feel like we've got a great look at this thing and if we can get a few guys back from injury then the playoffs should certainly be in reach. I just don't feel like Carolina or the Leafs are that great. If we're going to be caught I think it would be by the Devils but even that is unlikely with our 8 point lead and the amount of games remaining.

I love that this thread was started on January 21 with the Sabres on a 7-2-1 stretch.

November 21 thread would be more instructive.

I don't recall many "we will make" folks then. A few "you can make up a couple of points in four months" folks, sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fair enough - but I don't think there would have been much point in having this discussion back towards Thanksgiving. As someone said, there was still only a 15 or 16% chance of them making it into the playoffs back on January 21st. Now we are in the 70+% range right? That is a huge jump up in probability and the team (and new ownership) deserve credit for grinding out wins and climbing the standings.

As for all the discussion about where we'll end up - I'll take anything 8th or better. 7th is looking doable but it would be hard to move higher than that.

Finally, predicting that Atlanta would collapse was hardly a very bold statement on my part. I was more worried & still am about Carolina and/or the Rangers getting a hot streak going while we slack off. I don't think anyone below us (Devils included) are going to makeup enough ground. Toronto can keep dreaming and NJ would need an 8 point swing in 17 games remaining. Never say never of course so Buffalo best keep their focus!

The Sabres lose 4 forwards(Hecht, Vanek, Grier & Kaleta) and you state that it's time to bring Weber(a defenseman) back? :blink:

yup, perfect time to bring weber back cuz that gives you an extra def that you know can play and its pitts who are dirty, i mean physical. I get the fact we have 4 forwards out but you can shorten your call up list by tossing weber back in and if need be through him or sekera out on the fourth line its just a way to help the team out by bringing in a guy whos physical and you know can play while you have inury issues.... yea thxs though i did consider that 4 forwards are out.

Well, I'd be happy to take the bet, but I don't want you to be in the position of rooting against the Sabres to make the playoffs. Instant karma's gonna get you. How 'bout some kind of alternative bet? Maybe something relating to offseason moves? I'm open for anything reasonable.

$30 won't influence my rooting. I'll gladly lose it to have hockey for 2 weeks where I might be able to wear shorts outside.

Either way.

I hope to revive this thread at least once more when the regular season is over & Buffalo is officially in the playoffs. As for now though it is nice to have our team in 8th with plenty of games in hand to take over the 7th spot!

Time to close this thread down again.

$30 won't influence my rooting. I'll gladly lose it to have hockey for 2 weeks where I might be able to wear shorts outside.

Either way.

Sorry -- forgot to check back on this. The Sabres are 1-1 since we had this exchange, but their playoff prospects have improved, so it's not fair to you for me to accept the double-or-nothing bet as is. I could give you odds, or we could make the bet be that the Sabres finish #7 or higher, or make it relate to an offseason move (e.g. that the Sabres will bring in a no-BS top-line forward), or anything else reasonable.

New registration, long time fan and MB's reader. I think that seeing the rivals our Sabres have facedlately, you can fairly say tell they've been in playoffs since 5 weeks ago! and doing fine at it! Regards

Welcome along for the ride.....

New registration, long time fan and MB's reader. I think that seeing the rivals our Sabres have facedlately, you can fairly say tell they've been in playoffs since 5 weeks ago! and doing fine at it! Regards

welcome aboard. enjoy posting. where are ya from?

welcome to the board.. Go Sabres!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived