Predicting whether the Sabres will make the playoffs

Barnabov

Do you think Buffalo will make the playoffs?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Buffalo will make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

Looking at the current standings, I'm predicting that our Sabres will make the playoffs in the # 8 position over Carolina & Atlanta (with no one below them overtaking their current #10 slot). I further think that they make it at least to the 2nd round of the playoffs but more likely to the 3rd round.

How about the rest of you - it's a simple yes or no answer but feel free to expound...

Looking at the current standings, I'm predicting that our Sabres will make the playoffs in the # 8 position over Carolina & Atlanta (with no one below them overtaking their current #10 slot). I further think that they make it at least to the 2nd round of the playoffs but more likely to the 3rd round.

How about the rest of you - it's a simple yes or no answer but feel free to expound...

Back to back wins and all of a sudden you believe they will not only make the playoffs, but make it to the conference finals? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to back wins and all of a sudden you believe they will not only make the playoffs, but make it to the conference finals? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing to do with back to back wins. I don't think Atlanta (perennial collapsers) or Carolina can beat out Buffalo. As for making the playoffs, Buffalo seems to do better when they are the underdogs as opposed to President Cup winners. Admittedly not much in the way of cold hard research behind my reasonings but you have to support your team!

I'd say that it is more possible than it seemed to be a month ago, but they have to keep winning. The 7-9 teams have been sputtering lately. One small push (e.g., 8 of 10 points) would likely put them right up with Carolina, Atlanta, and possibly even the Rangers. From there, it will be a battle for the rest of the season. Falter at all and they are way back again. I believe that they can make it, which is an improvement, but I'm definitely not ready to say that they will make it.

The numbers say that they have a 16% chance. As long as that number stays above 15%, I'm in. As wacky as this season has been, they are playing better without Roy. I'd have lost a paycheck or two on that bet. Maybe coincidence, but maybe others are trying harder with more minutes.

So at the All Star break, Buffalo is 4 points out of the 8th spot with 2 games in hand and only Carolina to leap frog (1 point behind Atlanta with 2 games in hand). I still feel confident that we are going to make the playoffs and if we played Philly or Tampa Bay (currently 1 & 2) beat them to go on to the next round. Losing 2 out of 3 to the Islanders recently is the kind of thing that will keep the Sabres in the 9 or 10 spot but there is normally some team every season that should be beat but owns Buffalo (Ottawa / Florida / Tampa Bay). Guess we'll see how Buffalo comes back after the break and where it all wraps up on April 9th (though hopefully the outcome will be known earlier).

So at the All Star break, Buffalo is 4 points out of the 8th spot with 2 games in hand and only Carolina to leap frog (1 point behind Atlanta with 2 games in hand). I still feel confident that we are going to make the playoffs and if we played Philly or Tampa Bay (currently 1 & 2) beat them to go on to the next round. Losing 2 out of 3 to the Islanders recently is the kind of thing that will keep the Sabres in the 9 or 10 spot but there is normally some team every season that should be beat but owns Buffalo (Ottawa / Florida / Tampa Bay). Guess we'll see how Buffalo comes back after the break and where it all wraps up on April 9th (though hopefully the outcome will be known earlier).

I believe Philly would roll right over us in the first round. Way too much scoring depth, size and speed. An upset isn't out of the question, but not by this group. Sorry.

At the All-Star break, the Sabres are currently ahead of 5 teams (Florida, Ottawa, Toronto, NYI, NJ) and have practically no hope of catching 5 teams (Philly, Pitt, Boston, TB, Wash), so that leaves 4 others competing with them for the last 3 playoff spots:

NYR: 10 points ahead with 3 extra games played

Montreal: 8 points ahead with 1 extra game played

Atlanta: 6 points ahead with 3 extra games played

Carolina: 5 points ahead with 1 extra game played

9 of the remaining 33 games are against these 4 teams, so there is ample opportunity for the Sabres to rectify their early season woes. They are mathematically in control of their own destiny. While I have no doubt that the Sabres will choke, it's still pretty interesting to note that the playoff situation at this point in time isn't as grim as the 3-9-2 start to the season would have suggested.

A lot of this is going to depend on what happens at the trade deadline. I can see Carolina and maybe NY going after some help and getting better. Not sure Atlanta would, but who knows.

We all know what to expect from DR, so..... :blush:

speaking of Carolina....what a player Skinner has turned out to be.

Did some research last night, as for some reason (obviously incorrect...) I thought the Sabres normally tanked in the month of January.

Here's their record in January's post-lockout (they DID comparably, when the team was going to the ECF's), as well as February's...

January:

2005 - 2006: 6-4-1

2006 - 2007: 6-7-1

2007 - 2008: 4-5-4

2008 - 2009: 9-4-0

2009 - 2010: 8-3-3

2010 - 2011: 8-3-1

February:

2005 - 2006: 4-0-2

2006 - 2007: 8-2-1

2007 - 2008: 8-4-3

2008 - 2009: 5-6-2

2009 - 2010: 1-4-2

2010 - 2011: ?-?-?

Will be interesting to see where they go from here...

(BTW, I compiled these LATE yesterday very quickly, so may be off slightly).

I'm all for thinking positively, but at this point, making the playoffs would be an accomplishment. Playing Philly would mean the golf clubs are out. Once again (sigh) if these Sabres make the playoffs, they won't have the grit needed to move on. Wish I could get on board with the optimism.

9 of the remaining 33 games are against these 4 teams, so there is ample opportunity for the Sabres to rectify their early season woes. They are mathematically in control of their own destiny. While I have no doubt that the Sabres will choke, it's still pretty interesting to note that the playoff situation at this point in time isn't as grim as the 3-9-2 start to the season would have suggested.

Well, the only difference between missing the playoffs by one point or missing them by 15 is where you draft.

The Sabres have to stop losing to teams lower than them in the standings. Look at all the losses they've had to the Isles, Panthers to name a few. Just can't lose those games.

There are far too many 3 point games and this is the main reason Buffalo will not make the dance.

Yes, the Sabres make the playoffs.

Here is my reasoning:

#1) The Resurgence of the Power Play. In one month, we jumped from being ranked about 25th on the PP to 12th. We won't keep up this pace. However, I think we can continue to do well on the PP and maybe jump into the top 10.

#2) Ryan Miller- He is not yet Mr. Vezina from last year, but he gets more and more solid every week. He seems focused and relaxed. If he stays healthy, he will continue to play every game will give us a chance in EVERY game, including the top end games against Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa Bay.

#3) Secondary Scoring- When we started off the year badly, we little scoring other than Roy and Vanek. Now, names like Hecht, Gerbe, Pomminstein and Ennis are putting up points. (I especially like Gerbe and Ennis for the future.)

#4) Lindy Ruff- His ability, year in and year out, to pull together a winning team, even in spite of its blatantly obvious holes (Niedermayer, Grier, Rivet, etc.) is very impressive. If Ruff was a wimp, this team would have continued to suck after their slow start. He is showing that he deserves to be head coach when the Terry Pegula era begins.

The only way that the Sabres DON'T make the playoffs is if the defense hangs Miller out to dry. Watch out for Myers, Sekera and Weber. If they turn the puck over, the Sabres lose. If they play solid, we get to play competitive hockey with a good chance to be one of the three out of six that will take the 6-8 spots. (The six teams being NY Rangers, Montreal, Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo and Florida)

Yes, the Sabres make the playoffs.

Here is my reasoning:

#1) The Resurgence of the Power Play. In one month, we jumped from being ranked about 25th on the PP to 12th. We won't keep up this pace. However, I think we can continue to do well on the PP and maybe jump into the top 10.

#2) Ryan Miller- He is not yet Mr. Vezina from last year, but he gets more and more solid every week. He seems focused and relaxed. If he stays healthy, he will continue to play every game will give us a chance in EVERY game, including the top end games against Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa Bay.

#3) Secondary Scoring- When we started off the year badly, we little scoring other than Roy and Vanek. Now, names like Hecht, Gerbe, Pomminstein and Ennis are putting up points. (I especially like Gerbe and Ennis for the future.)

#4) Lindy Ruff- His ability, year in and year out, to pull together a winning team, even in spite of its blatantly obvious holes (Niedermayer, Grier, Rivet, etc.) is very impressive. If Ruff was a wimp, this team would have continued to suck after their slow start. He is showing that he deserves to be head coach when the Terry Pegula era begins.

The only way that the Sabres DON'T make the playoffs is if the defense hangs Miller out to dry. Watch out for Myers, Sekera and Weber. If they turn the puck over, the Sabres lose. If they play solid, we get to play competitive hockey with a good chance to be one of the three out of six that will take the 6-8 spots. (The six teams being NY Rangers, Montreal, Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo and Florida)

Welcome.

Hard to argue with 1 and 3. 2., I don't see Miller as being relaxed and focused at all. The comment about his having earned enough respect in the league to get that interference call was strange. He can't play every game here on out.

4. Fair point, but Lindy thought he had Cup-contending talent. He has to be held responsible for the first 14 games. You can't have it both ways.

"Year in and 2 years out?" That pretty much describes the Sabres and the playoffs over the past 8 seasons.

Ruff hasn't proved anything other then the uncanny ability not be to able to get his team ready to play hockey on many night. It's taken the Thrashers going 3-4-3 over their last ten games to instill hope in some fans. The Sabres have gone 7-3 to race up to five points out of 9th and are only two points ahead of 11th?

The real excitement comes in the off-season. New owner, GM and Coach. It's time to start moving forward.

Archived