GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Three different games played tonight. Sabres owned in first, owned the second and got owned again in the third.

Finally a win on home ice. 7 of last 8 points.

It's time to sit Tyler Myers. He needs a solid week watching in the press box. It's not a sophmore slump. His game is just not there. His decision making is really poor.

The PP was flat out awful tonight even though they had a bunch of shots and a goal. Every team in the league knows all you need to do is pressure the puck handler and the Sabres will turn it over. They had two four minute double minors and couldn't tally.

Two nice goals by TV tonight. Hopefully, that gets him moving.

Bring on Calgary.

Other than that spill behind the net in the 1st I thought Myers played OK. Montador and McCormick had great games I thought. McCormick and Vanek really distracted the Washington goalie tonight. We should've had someone parked in front of the net all night. It really seemed to bother that goalie. I thought Pommer played well also. And Connolly was useless as usual. I cringed every time he handled the puck on the blue line in OT.

Vanek always seems to get overshadowed by the league superstars. Especially Ovie. It was nice to see Vanek show Ovie how it's done for a change.

Well they finally beat a good team. If this team could learn how to bury their chances they could go on a tear. All and all I thought that was a pretty well even played game except for the first period. Although to be fair Wsh did get into some penalty trouble in the 2nd and 3rd with errant sticks but still had some good chances as well. Miller looked solid in his come back.

It may be coincidence but since Ellis has come up and stafford has been out I have liked this teams compete level better. Looks like they are all hustling more. They still drive me to drink with their "dipsy doodle with the puck instead of shooting" but I gotta believ thats their puck possesion system they are trying to execute that has them doing that, they just have to be smarter with the puck and know when to just dump and chhase.

Vanek has looked so much better last couple of games and really came on tonight. I love somebody called the twins for Vanek earlier in the post. Good Call, The line of Roy,Vanek and Ennis had looks all game now if they could just convert a few more. I thought these line combos tonight all worked pretty well. Lets see if Ruff keeps them together for a few games.

For the D, Really haven't missed Rivet but I agree Meyers really could use to watch a game or two from the press box, his decision making and to many passing have looked really bad more than not. Montador and Leopold best pair again out their tonight I thought and butler and Morrison were servicable. Sekera still has me sitting on the edge of my chair with some of his moves and/or puck mis-handles however I guess you can call that exciting.

They deserved it no shame in this win, 4th OT in a row, wow now I'm greedy and want more lots more and I wanna see if they can keep building on it.

Well they finally beat a good team. If this team could learn how to bury their chances they could go on a tear. All and all I thought that was a pretty well even played game except for the first period. Although to be fair Wsh did get into some penalty trouble in the 2nd and 3rd with errant sticks but still had some good chances as well. Miller looked solid in his come back.

It may be coincidence but since Ellis has come up and stafford has been out I have liked this teams compete level better. Looks like they are all hustling more. They still drive me to drink with their "dipsy doodle with the puck instead of shooting" but I gotta believ thats their puck possesion system they are trying to execute that has them doing that, they just have to be smarter with the puck and know when to just dump and chhase.

Vanek has looked so much better last couple of games and really came on tonight. I love somebody called the twins for Vanek earlier in the post. Good Call, The line of Roy,Vanek and Ennis had looks all game now if they could just convert a few more. I thought these line combos tonight all worked pretty well. Lets see if Ruff keeps them together for a few games.

For the D, Really haven't missed Rivet but I agree Meyers really could use to watch a game or two from the press box, his decision making and to many passing have looked really bad more than not. Montador and Leopold best pair again out their tonight I thought and butler and Morrison were servicable. Sekera still has me sitting on the edge of my chair with some of his moves and/or puck mis-handles however I guess you can call that exciting.

They deserved it no shame in this win, 4th OT in a row, wow now I'm greedy and want more lots more and I wanna see if they can keep building on it.

Good post. I agree with almost everything, although I think Myers-Sekera are looking pretty solid these days. Along with Monty-Leopold, suddenly the top 4 defensemen are playing a much more sound defensive game. There are many fewer breakdowns. I also like your observation about Ellis.

A few game notes:

1. The Caps were 6-0-0 coming into tonight and in 1st place in the NHL, and the Sabres smothered them. Great team defense.

2. Miller was sharp except for the first Caps goal, which looked pretty soft.

3. When Vanek plays like that, he's worth the money. I think that OT winner might have been the best goal he's ever scored.

4. Roy-Vanek-Ennis has been pretty effective the past few games. If the Sabres can get TC-Pommer-Hecht going, they might just turn the corner and become a no-BS good team again.

5. Pretty good games out of Gaustad, Kaleta and Grier.

6. It would be nice if Pommer started playing like he was worth $2MM per year, let alone $5.3MM.

That was a great win.

4. Roy-Vanek-Ennis has been pretty effective the past few games. If the Sabres can get TC-Pommer-Hecht going, they might just turn the corner and become a no-BS good team again.

The only thing holding back the Connolly-Pominville-Hecht line is Connolly, Pominville, and Hecht.

Wooooow @ that Vanek winner. Couldn't watch intently at work so I just saw it. Amazing!

Hope this starts him up. In fear of stating the obvious, his creativity and finishing is absolutely critical. Nice to see the boys playing harder. Things seem to be clicking, very encouraging.