Kassian sent back to OHL

thesportsbuff

Is this a joke am i getting punked right now??? I think a backup goalie is a whole lot diferent than a basketball team. He is going to play what maybe 15 games this season? There are two goalies on our team and right now they get along and appreciate each other we also have a pretty decent prospect in Enroth who should get a few games to see where he is at. We honestly have easily the best goalie situation in the NHL why are we even talking about this??

LOLOLOL we have "easily" the best goalie situation in the NHL because our superstar starter happens to like our over-the-hill scrub back up who can't win a game unless the team scores 5 goals per? ok. my fault my man. you're right.

and yeah, he'll play 15 games. so we are practically guaranteed to lose 10 of them. and what happens if Miller goes down for a month or two with an injury? Lalime sure as hell isn't going to be a solution -- that's two months of the season we're handing away. And Enroth is a huge question mark at the NHL level, hard to imagine they would throw him in as a full time starter while Miller is out. our "goalie situation" is hardly ideal.

im not saying we need Miller as a starter and Luongo as a backup.. I just want somebody capable. You want a good goalie situation? Lundqvist/Biron in NY... because if Lundqvist gets hurt, Biron can carry the load. Same with Philly -- Boucher/Leighton. Both capable starters.

LOLOLOL we have "easily" the best goalie situation in the NHL because our superstar starter happens to like our over-the-hill scrub back up who can't win a game unless the team scores 5 goals per? ok. my fault my man. you're right.

Yeah we do he won the Vezina he can carry this team on his back the second stringer doesnt matter. Would you rather have a Bruins situation where you have two capable starters who arent as good as miller with each one looking over there back?

Yeah we do he won the Vezina he can carry this team on his back the second stringer doesnt matter. Would you rather have a Bruins situation where you have two capable starters who arent as good as miller with each one looking over there back?

i edited my last post pretty much answered that question

Im sorry but Phillys goalie situation, you have got to be kidding me. I would love to have Biron but it doesnt make sense for a team with the best goalie in the league to pay more for a backup. If you wanna play the what if game we can do it all day. If miller gets hurt yes we will be in some trouble but Lalime has won 200 games in this league im sure with regualar starts he will be an adequate stop gap.

and yeah, he'll play 15 games. so we are practically guaranteed to lose 10 of them. and what happens if Miller goes down for a month or two with an injury? Lalime sure as hell isn't going to be a solution -- that's two months of the season we're handing away. And Enroth is a huge question mark at the NHL level, hard to imagine they would throw him in as a full time starter while Miller is out. our "goalie situation" is hardly ideal.

im not saying we need Miller as a starter and Luongo as a backup.. I just want somebody capable. You want a good goalie situation? Lundqvist/Biron in NY... because if Lundqvist gets hurt, Biron can carry the load. Same with Philly -- Boucher/Leighton. Both capable starters.

Boucher/Leighton? Come on. They both got lucky last year to be playing for a team that got the job done for them despite their shortcomings. Any goaltender can steal a game here and there, and Lalime has done that before. And Biron is good, but he's not starter good. He'll play well if the Rangers play well. But he wont be any more of an all star than any other backup in the league.

All teams carry backups that, depending on how they're playing, have the potential to be good. But no one is carrying two starters. If you think that, you're just kidding yourself. Lalime does an acceptable job in his role as a backup and there's no reason to hate on the guy. None at all.

Philly completely lucked into Leighton. He was and still is the definition of a journeyman. Dude was bouncing around the league for a decade and caught fire for 27 games. He actually played for the Amerks for 40 games 5 years ago and sucked so bad the Sabres didn't even want him as a minor league depth player.

Philly completely lucked into Leighton. He was and still is the definition of a journeyman. Dude was bouncing around the league for a decade and caught fire for 27 games. He actually played for the Amerks for 40 games 5 years ago and sucked so bad the Sabres didn't even want him as a minor league depth player.

Cool story, bro. Now he is(was) the starting goalie for a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals. "Journeyman" or not, they've got two capable starting goalies. Buffalo has one. You could tell me Lalime's life story, too, but the bottom line is right now (and the past several years) he can't be counted on to win games.

Cool story, bro. Now he is(was) the starting goalie for a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals. "Journeyman" or not, they've got two capable starting goalies. Buffalo has one. You could tell me Lalime's life story, too, but the bottom line is right now (and the past several years) he can't be counted on to win games.

What is your deal? I'll take Philly's goalies too, if I can get their forwards and defense in the package.

And Conklin was also but you had a problem with him so quit crying because you oviously dont know what you want

What is your deal? I'll take Philly's goalies too, if I can get their forwards and defense in the package.

I have no deal, just your tidbit about Leighton is a completely moot point. It doesn't really matter how many teams he's played for, whether he was a "journeyman" and whether the Sabres didn't want him 5 years ago. He played great hockey last season alternating between a starter and a backup, and is a major reason the Flyers came back from 0-3 against Boston, beat Montreal, and played well enough --not great, but good enough-- in the finals. I don't think there's really any argument you can make that Lalime is a better backup goaltender than Leighton, especially at this point in their respective careers.

And Conklin was also but you had a problem with him so quit crying because you oviously dont know what you want

Conklin was also what? I hope you don't mean to say he was the starting goalie in the SCF... he may have started Game 1, but that was the first post-season game he saw, and guess what? It was the only game he started. *SHOCKER* (And NOT because Roloson came back.. lol)

also listening to someone say "bro" is kind of dumb reading someone after they type it out in a message board makes me cringe

Trying to make sense of this post or how it relates at all to this discussion made me cringe. Congrats bro. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I've posted my thoughts, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with someone who can barely construct a sentence and resorts to whining about my usage of the word "bro." You guys have a great time believing the Sabres have the "best goaltending situation" in the NHL... hahaha, that still makes me laugh.. Miller may very well be the best in the NHL, but if he goes down for any reason, there goes the season. Need proof? 2008-09 when Lalime carried the load for a month and lost us some 13 out of 15 games or whatever it was down the stretch... he was so bad we had to bring in a third goalie in Tellqvist, although he only played a few games. It's great that management wants to keep Ryan Miller happy, but once you let players start running the team things go down hill... who knows (warning: here comes a DeLuca moment), maybe Miller is good buds with Connolly and Stafford -- I know Ryan and Drew have played music together -- wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Drew has hogged up a roster spot the past few years is because Ryan wanted him and Connolly here.

Boucher/Leighton? Come on. They both got lucky last year to be playing for a team that got the job done for them despite their shortcomings. Any goaltender can steal a game here and there, and Lalime has done that before. And Biron is good, but he's not starter good. He'll play well if the Rangers play well. But he wont be any more of an all star than any other backup in the league.

All teams carry backups that, depending on how they're playing, have the potential to be good. But no one is carrying two starters. If you think that, you're just kidding yourself. Lalime does an acceptable job in his role as a backup and there's no reason to hate on the guy. None at all.

One more post because I missed this one earlier...

Any goaltender can steal a game "here and there." That certainly wasn't the case for a team that went to the cup finals. I also never said I expected, or even wanted, the Sabres to have a starter-esque back up. Just. Someone. Capable. (apparently I cannot repeat this phrase enough). Lalime is not that guy. He never has been (as a Sabre). He's had maybe 5 good games as the Sabres backup. I'm sure it's hard to be a confident team up front when you know you have a huge liability in goal.

Again, with Biron. He's good. He's good enough that if Lundqvist got hurt for a few weeks, a month, even longer, he could easily fill in, start every game -- maybe not put up incredible numbers, but certainly play well enough to give his team a chance to win. Lalime obviously cannot do that, he's had that chance. He failed miserably.

Any goaltender can steal a game "here and there." That certainly wasn't the case for a team that went to the cup finals. I also never said I expected, or even wanted, the Sabres to have a starter-esque back up. Just. Someone. Capable. (apparently I cannot repeat this phrase enough). Lalime is not that guy. He never has been (as a Sabre). He's had maybe 5 good games as the Sabres backup. I'm sure it's hard to be a confident team up front when you know you have a huge liability in goal.

Again, with Biron. He's good. He's good enough that if Lundqvist got hurt for a few weeks, a month, even longer, he could easily fill in, start every game -- maybe not put up incredible numbers, but certainly play well enough to give his team a chance to win. Lalime obviously cannot do that, he's had that chance. He failed miserably.

I don't think anyone can argue with you with respect to the Rangers. That's a solid tandem. (Boston has one, too.) But I think you lose people when you point to Philadelphia. The goaltending situation in Philly hit a wall many, many years ago. Leighton caught lightning in a bottle last year; good for him, but I wouldn't want him as a starter. Or Boucher.

Lalime

08-09/5-13/3.10 GAA/.900 SV%

09-10/4-8/2.81 GAA/.907 SV%

Osgood

08-09/26-9/3.09 GAA/.887 SV%

09-10/7-9/3.02 GAA/.888 SV%

Johnson

08-09/12-6/2.81 GAA/.908 SV%

09-10/10-6/2.76 GAA/.906 SV%

Dunno about you, but I think if the Redwings still have Osgood with numbers like that, then Lalime looks like an all-star as far as backups go.

And the Pens won a cup with Brent Johnson posting almost the exact same numbers as Lalime last year.

But yeah, Lalime is totally the problem. There's no way that it could possibly be the fault of a team that can't piece together wins in front of him despite his putting up more than acceptable numbers otherwise.

Lalime

08-09/5-13/3.10 GAA/.900 SV%

09-10/4-8/2.81 GAA/.907 SV%

Osgood

08-09/26-9/3.09 GAA/.887 SV%

09-10/7-9/3.02 GAA/.888 SV%

Johnson

08-09/12-6/2.81 GAA/.908 SV%

09-10/10-6/2.76 GAA/.906 SV%

Dunno about you, but I think if the Redwings still have Osgood with numbers like that, then Lalime looks like an all-star as far as backups go.

And the Pens won a cup with Brent Johnson posting almost the exact same numbers as Lalime last year.

But yeah, Lalime is totally the problem. There's no way that it could possibly be the fault of a team that can't piece together wins in front of him despite his putting up more than acceptable numbers otherwise.

And BOOM goes the dynamite

post-2498-051387800 1286159309_thumb.jpg

post-2498-050370000 1286159326_thumb.jpg

post-2498-010143600 1286159387_thumb.png

post-2498-080416000 1286158802_thumb.jpg

post-2498-098992500 1286160444_thumb.jpg

I have no deal, just your tidbit about Leighton is a completely moot point. It doesn't really matter how many teams he's played for, whether he was a "journeyman" and whether the Sabres didn't want him 5 years ago. He played great hockey last season alternating between a starter and a backup, and is a major reason the Flyers came back from 0-3 against Boston, beat Montreal, and played well enough --not great, but good enough-- in the finals. I don't think there's really any argument you can make that Lalime is a better backup goaltender than Leighton, especially at this point in their respective careers.

Conklin was also what? I hope you don't mean to say he was the starting goalie in the SCF... he may have started Game 1, but that was the first post-season game he saw, and guess what? It was the only game he started. *SHOCKER* (And NOT because Roloson came back.. lol)

Trying to make sense of this post or how it relates at all to this discussion made me cringe. Congrats bro. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I've posted my thoughts, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with someone who can barely construct a sentence and resorts to whining about my usage of the word "bro." You guys have a great time believing the Sabres have the "best goaltending situation" in the NHL... hahaha, that still makes me laugh.. Miller may very well be the best in the NHL, but if he goes down for any reason, there goes the season. Need proof? 2008-09 when Lalime carried the load for a month and lost us some 13 out of 15 games or whatever it was down the stretch... he was so bad we had to bring in a third goalie in Tellqvist, although he only played a few games. It's great that management wants to keep Ryan Miller happy, but once you let players start running the team things go down hill... who knows (warning: here comes a DeLuca moment), maybe Miller is good buds with Connolly and Stafford -- I know Ryan and Drew have played music together -- wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Drew has hogged up a roster spot the past few years is because Ryan wanted him and Connolly here.

So -- not only are you spouting complete nonsense in this thread, you're also going to be obnoxious about it?

Here's some news: neither Leighton nor Boucher is a "capable starting goalie." They are both poster children for the current NHL trend of allocating resources to skaters and sticking journeymen between the pipes. It worked for Philly last year, although everyone would be singing a different tune if they hadn't made the playoffs on the last day of the season.

Regarding Marty, he's not the goalie he was a few years ago. He was brought to the Islanders to do exactly as you said -- step in and start in the event of a long-term injury -- and he couldn't get off the bench. The Rangers signed him because they are run by a complete bozo.

None of this is to say that Lalime doesn't stink. He does. But it's almost as silly to state that Philly has better goaltending as it is to say that Stafford is on the team because Miller likes jamming with him.

there seems to be a growing consensus that ennis ends up in portland. i can understand that from the standpoint of moving players who can be moved economically and without risk, but, just the same, i'll be disappointed not to see him with the big club. he was my favorite skater by year's end last season.

there seems to be a growing consensus that ennis ends up in portland. i can understand that from the standpoint of moving players who can be moved economically and without risk, but, just the same, i'll be disappointed not to see him with the big club. he was my favorite skater by year's end last season.

a growing consensus by whom? this msg board? Ennis wont be sent down. geez.

I don't think anyone can argue with you with respect to the Rangers. That's a solid tandem. (Boston has one, too.) But I think you lose people when you point to Philadelphia. The goaltending situation in Philly hit a wall many, many years ago. Leighton caught lightning in a bottle last year; good for him, but I wouldn't want him as a starter. Or Boucher.

The argument I'm seeing here in this thread in Leighton's favor is that you can't judge him by has past performace. Instead, you have to judge him by his past performance. Something's not quite right there.

After the OHL season is completed he can be assigned to Portland as long as he has a contract with the Sabres, correct?

Yes, but he doesn't even have to sign a contract. He can sign a try out deal with the Pirates if he really wants to. That's obviously not in his best interest though.

Archived