Kassian sent back to OHL

thesportsbuff

a growing consensus by whom? this msg board? Ennis wont be sent down. geez.

since i'm not privy to any FO meetings, yeah, that is what i meant.

but i'm glad to read your perspective (although i can do without the "geez").

i haven't had time to follow camp or the preseason, and was basing what i wrote on what regular posters around here were saying (or what i read them as saying).

i haven't had time to follow camp or the preseason, and was basing what i wrote on what regular posters around here were saying (or what i read them as saying).

I don't believe that is the consensus at all. In fact, I think just about everyone would be shocked if Ennis plays a single game in Portland this year. I know I would be. The rumblings are that he looks like Danny Briere out there, and while its awful early to be drawing those comparisons, I think he has the ability to produce at that level in the near future.

My bad, geez wasn't directed towards you.

Its the same with kassian, people on the board fell in love with him (as they alwasys do with gritty players) but the reality is he wasnt close to making this roster.

Its the same with kassian, people on the board fell in love with him (as they alwasys do with gritty players) but the reality is he wasnt close to making this roster.

IMHO, when it came to Kassian, most of us were hoping that he had done his growing up, got the NHL game, had quicker feet and scored more.

This is why he would make the team.

Not all of those things happened, so back ya go.

thanks - that makes it my bad, actually.

:thumbsup:

i looked back at why i inferred what i had, and what i saw was the projections about how gerbe and ennis will duke it out for left wing duty with connolly and pominville (the vanek/roy/stafford line being 1-a). the problem being: if the third line is set with hecht/neidermayer/grier, then neither ennis nor gerbe really belong on a fourth line with gaustad and kaleta -- just put mccormick there and leave it at that. so, it seemed like we were headed toward an either/or proposition on gerbe and ennis. i dunno.

maybe someone smarter and more informed can start a regular season roster thread and i can thereby be enlightened.

IMHO, when it came to Kassian, most of us were hoping that he had done his growing up, got the NHL game, had quicker feet and scored more.

This is why he would make the team.

Not all of those things happened, so back ya go.

Yea he really needs to be better than the person he would replacing. He doesnt appear to be a gifted scorer, he avg points per game isnt very impressive for the OHL. We all know he brings a physical side but we have some solid players in that role already. Nothing in camp showed that he was better or more deserving of one of those spots. He's young and is probably better served beating up some kids in the OHL.

thanks - that makes it my bad, actually.

:thumbsup:

i looked back at why i inferred what i had, and what i saw was the projections about how gerbe and ennis will duke it out for left wing duty with connolly and pominville (the vanek/roy/stafford line being 1-a). the problem being: if the third line is set with hecht/neidermayer/grier, then neither ennis nor gerbe really belong on a fourth line with gaustad and kaleta -- just put mccormick there and leave it at that. so, it seemed like we were headed toward an either/or proposition on gerbe and ennis. i dunno.

maybe someone smarter and more informed can start a regular season roster thread and i can thereby be enlightened.

that would be an interesting thread if we could stay on topic.

I like how Vogl puts an article together complete with a poll about whether Ellis will go to Portland. After he was waived two hours earlier.

Thanks for the update - I didn't see that Ellis had been waived anywhere until this came up on a search:

Report: Sabres Waive Ellis

So that leaves 13 Forwards, 8 D & 3 goalies on the roster. The official website is almost correct today - they haven't taken Ellis off yet and for whatever reason, Weber is still not listed (has he been waived too?). Enroth is also not on there?

If Kassian gets suspended from the OHL for the season - can he be signed by the Sabres then? I'm guessing the answer is no but would like to know.

Why couldn't they? I am sure the OHL wouldn't appreciate it but I dont think its like the AHL and the NHL. I knowThe AHL and the NHL honor each others suspensions, this happened to Downie when he was suspended for hitting McAmmond. I believe they have a review process though. I couldnt see a Junior League doing that though, I dont think it has ever happened though as a player being serving a suspension in a junior league wouldnt look good on an NHL contract. Also until last year The O didnt hand out such long suspensions.

If Kassian gets suspended from the OHL for the season - can he be signed by the Sabres then? I'm guessing the answer is no but would like to know.

If I remember correctly, Patrice Cormier was not allowed to sign with the Devils last year (and then the Thrashers after the trade) until after his team's Q season was over.

If I remember correctly, Patrice Cormier was not allowed to sign with the Devils last year (and then the Thrashers after the trade) until after his team's Q season was over.

I don't remember that issue being decided. I do remember Lamoriello saying that no suspension (at the Q level!) was warranted, though. But Cormier already had been signed by NJ at the time of the incident, so the issue is whether he could have played, not whether he could have signed.

I just lost the link but i was reading what the devils said and the gm kept it very politically correct but said that they would honor the suspension for cormier and wouldnt try to put him in the nhl or ahl. So it made it seem that there wasnt a precedent for that type of action

Archived