Kassian sent back to OHL

thesportsbuff

Weren't all of the backups that were brought in considered "quality" before they got caught up in the goalie shredder known as Lindy Ruff?

Put simply.... no. When the Sabres signed Conklin? I laughed. When they signed Thibeault? I cried. Lalime? I screamed. Tellqvist... well he doesn't really count, but for what it's worth, I yawned.

Put simply.... no. When the Sabres signed Conklin? I laughed. When they signed Thibeault? I cried. Lalime? I screamed. Tellqvist... well he doesn't really count, but for what it's worth, I yawned.

Exactly who do you want them to sign?

(please don't say Biron)

If he was ever paired with Montador in Calgary for significant time, that would be the logical choice now, too. Not sure if that was the case, though.

I think a case can be made for either, but Sekera's skating ability may best be suited to be paired up with rivet. So naturally Rej will end up with Monty or Leopold.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/10/sabres-send-kassian-back-to-juniors.html

Zack Kassian isn't quite ready for the NHL' date=' the Buffalo Sabres decided today. The team has sent the 2009 first-round pick back to Windsor of the Ontario Hockey League, one of nine moves made to trim the roster.

The Sabres' other roster moves included sending forwards Mark Mancari, Luke Adam and Paul Byron, defensemen T.J. Brennan, Drew Schiestel and Dennis Persson, and goalie David Leggio to minor-league Portland. Forward Mark Parrish was released from his professional tryout contract, and General Manager Darcy Regier told The News he will speak with Parrish's agent about the winger joining the organization as a depth player.[/quote']

Exactly who do you want them to sign?

(please don't say Biron)

Not somebody who scored on himself in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (Conklin). Not somebody who hasn't won 10 games total since the lockout (Thibault). Lalime I could live with when they first brought him in, but seriously -- 9 wins in of 34 games? I don't care if we were fielding a peewee hockey team, you have to be better than that. And it's not just in Buffalo, either. Before his one decent year with Chicago in 07-08, he'd put up a solid 8 wins in his previous 40 games. Frankly it pisses me off even more that they brought him back solely because Miller likes him, but what can you do.

I won't say Biron specifically, but he was certainly an option at one point (hint THIS OFF SEASON, LAST OFF SEASON). If I had to choose, I would have kept Mika Noronen in the system, but I'm not really sure what the circumstances were around him leaving... (ie did he just want to go home, could he not get a deal in the US, etc etc.) Or they could have given Adam Dennis a shot at some point. There's plenty of better options out there than Lalime.

Not somebody who scored on himself in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (Conklin). Not somebody who hasn't won 10 games total since the lockout (Thibault). Lalime I could live with when they first brought him in, but seriously -- 9 wins in of 34 games? I don't care if we were fielding a peewee hockey team, you have to be better than that. And it's not just in Buffalo, either. Before his one decent year with Chicago in 07-08, he'd put up a solid 8 wins in his previous 40 games. Frankly it pisses me off even more that they brought him back solely because Miller likes him, but what can you do.

I won't say Biron specifically, but he was certainly an option at one point (hint THIS OFF SEASON, LAST OFF SEASON). If I had to choose, I would have kept Mika Noronen in the system, but I'm not really sure what the circumstances were around him leaving... (ie did he just want to go home, could he not get a deal in the US, etc etc.) Or they could have given Adam Dennis a shot at some point. There's plenty of better options out there than Lalime.

There may have been different options but none were statistically significantly better than Lalime.

Noronen was traded to Vancouver for a 2nd rounder (Enroth). I'd say that move worked out ok. He played 4 games for the Canucks before heading back to Europe.

Adam Dennis has a career save percentage below 90%...in the AHL. Not sure how that would translate into the NHL but a goalie with a 75% save percentage might last one period.

No surprise here, maybe it will be for his own good but his style will sorely be missed on a team of marshmallows.

That's one of the reasons they send him down I think. Power forward is one of the toughest positions to develop in and usually takes guys more years then usual, i remember hearing one GM say a while back on a center ice telecast say the average age of a PF to "break out" in the NHL is 25. Some teams try to get a little cocky and hope for a Lucic type start to their careers but its unlikely. Way too many promising power forwards are rushed to the NHL and end up as Adam Mair's.

NHL isn't a league where you can develop talents. You do what you can to help the team win and that would be hitting and being a pest. Kassian would turn into probably a slightly better version of Patrick Kaleta if he stayed up, but i think the Sabres have more hope for him. He needs to develop his offense and skating much more. He looked great his first game, but i doubt Sabres were ever serious about keeping him up. They wern't going to sacrifice his career to add some toughness to the lineup.

Besides the most he's ever played is 61 games in a year before. I doubt his body could handle a much tougher league like the NHL and for a longer period of time.

I have to say if your Vezina winning Goaltender likes his backup and wants him to stay on the team thats what you do. Miller is the workhorse anyway and we have enroth waiting in the wings. I dont know why anyone is complaining about him I would love to have Biron backing him up again but it saves us cap space having lalime.

I have to say if your Vezina winning Goaltender likes his backup and wants him to stay on the team thats what you do. Miller is the workhorse anyway and we have enroth waiting in the wings. I dont know why anyone is complaining about him I would love to have Biron backing him up again but it saves us cap space having lalime.

+1

I have to say it's a bit ridiculous. Yeah Miller was a major reason the team made playoffs last year and all that, but that doesn't mean he gets to pick and choose the roster. Look where that got cleveland with LeBron James... he hand picked every player and then left town. If "this is a business" then it's a business, run it like one. Don't tell us it's a business and then go around letting your lower-level employees push demands upon you.

I have to say it's a bit ridiculous. Yeah Miller was a major reason the team made playoffs last year and all that, but that doesn't mean he gets to pick and choose the roster. Look where that got cleveland with LeBron James... he hand picked every player and then left town. If "this is a business" then it's a business, run it like one. Don't tell us it's a business and then go around letting your lower-level employees push demands upon you.

Is this a joke am i getting punked right now??? I think a backup goalie is a whole lot diferent than a basketball team. He is going to play what maybe 15 games this season? There are two goalies on our team and right now they get along and appreciate each other we also have a pretty decent prospect in Enroth who should get a few games to see where he is at. We honestly have easily the best goalie situation in the NHL why are we even talking about this??

Is this a joke am i getting punked right now??? I think a backup goalie is a whole lot diferent than a basketball team. He is going to play what maybe 15 games this season? There are two goalies on our team and right now they get along and appreciate each other we also have a pretty decent prospect in Enroth who should get a few games to see where he is at. We honestly have easily the best goalie situation in the NHL why are we even talking about this??

Because Lalime is 9-21-5 as a Sabre.

So there are 14 Forwards, 8 Defensemen & 4 Goalies left in camp correct?

Given that only 2 goalies will remain, that leaves 1 extra player left to be sent down. I believe they're talking about keeping 8 D for now with Butler, Weber or Sekera likely to see the AHL again at some point barring early season injuries so we'll have 13 Forwards meaning Ellis, Ennis, Gerbe or McCormick probably go down unless someone (Stafford) were traded. Given Ellis' 2 way contract & lower probability of being picked up on waivers, I'd say he's probably driving to Portland soon. Anyway see differently? Wouldn't that make the forward lines look something like this? If so, not a lot of change from last year but hopefully enough to duplicate regular season success and make a run in the playoffs. Lots of ifs...

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis or Gerbe - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Niedermayer - Grier

Ennis or Gerbe or McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Ok - after writing the above, I see the following article on sabres.com - What happened to Weber - why is he not on the team roster? Brennan & Biron still are listed on the roster but the article shows them as sent down. Would be nice if the sabres.com web site had real time updates - guess their staff gets off at noon on Saturdays.

SABRES REDUCE CAMP ROSTER BY 9 PLAYERS

So there are 14 Forwards, 8 Defensemen & 4 Goalies left in camp correct?

Given that only 2 goalies will remain, that leaves 1 extra player left to be sent down. I believe they're talking about keeping 8 D for now with Butler, Weber or Sekera likely to see the AHL again at some point barring early season injuries so we'll have 13 Forwards meaning Ellis, Ennis, Gerbe or McCormick probably go down unless someone (Stafford) were traded. Given Ellis' 2 way contract & lower probability of being picked up on waivers, I'd say he's probably driving to Portland soon. Anyway see differently? Wouldn't that make the forward lines look something like this? If so, not a lot of change from last year but hopefully enough to duplicate regular season success and make a run in the playoffs. Lots of ifs...

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis or Gerbe - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Niedermayer - Grier

Ennis or Gerbe or McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Ok - after writing the above, I see the following article on sabres.com - What happened to Weber - why is he not on the team roster? Brennan & Biron still are listed on the roster but the article shows them as sent down. Would be nice if the sabres.com web site had real time updates - guess their staff gets off at noon on Saturdays.

SABRES REDUCE CAMP ROSTER BY 9 PLAYERS

I think Enroth may be the backup goalie the first weekend of the season. Lalime has been missing time with the injury and hasn't seem much ice time Ruff said today, so unless he gets back to full time work starting Monday, i doubt they will send Enroth down prior to the games next week.

Ruff said the 6th d-men hasn't been awarded yet, and i think all three Weber, Sekera and Butler have had their ups and downs this camp. Without watching every game, i don't know who's played the best. I have liked Weber in what I saw, but my guess is Sekera will wins it. Not been impressed with Butler at all.

The battle between Stafford and Gerbe has been the best in camp i think, and i think both have been two of the better players thus far. I'd have a very hard time thinking Gerbe gets send down due to a numbers game with his good pre-season although didn't Pominville get send to Rochester after a real strong camp and cleared waivers? So i guess anything is possible. If Kaleta can't play next week, that will obviously give us a lock on the 12 forwards going to next weeks games.

And yeah, Ellis is a lock to go down i think.

Yes

Rushing those guys because the Sabres need more size and toughness would only hurt their development not to mention at the expense of winning games. Adam is only a call up away and if Gerbe somehow makes the club, he'll be the first prospect called up.

Archived