Kaberle

spndnchz

I'd be willing to surrender our 1st round pick to acquire Kaberle. A 1st Round Pick and a prospect not named Ennis or Kennedy. I'd be willing to part with Gerbe, Grangani, etc.

You'd make this trade without Kaberle agreeing to an extension? I wouldn't, but I think I would have done so at the deadline -- that would've guaranteed the Sabres 2 playoff runs with him.

With reasons on both sides to make this happen. I like it. I don't think it'll happen because of the whole division thing, but I like it. The division thing is the only reason I see this as unrealistic.

I like it too, but as Carp pointed out, Kaberle is Burke's top bargaining chip, and I think he wants more than TC in exchange.

You'd make this trade without Kaberle agreeing to an extension? I wouldn't, but I think I would have done so at the deadline -- that would've guaranteed the Sabres 2 playoff runs with him.

Yea, I would. I think our pool of prospects is in good shape. I want this team to improve for the better NOW. Kaberle seems to be a perfect fit for the team.

Its lock n load time, do or die. B-)

The state of my brain aside, do people really think the garbage + garbage for your all star d man trades are feasible?

It's some of the same stuff that was being tossed around during the trade deadline.

"Hey, we know our guys suck, but maybe we can trick another team into giving up their #1 center for a whole bag of our crap, just have to pile it up high enough..."

Sadly, it doesn't work in the real world. You have to give to get. especially with a guy like Burke.

He should have been acquired at the deadline. He would have significantly improved our power play. As many suspected, our struggling power play proved to be our achilles heal in the play offs.

Gretzky and Mario wouldn't help this PP.

No really, all kidding aside, I think there's more than enough skill on this team to have a succesful PP.

In fact, I think the way this team is made up, small finesse forwards and all, the PP is where they should absolutely tear up the league.

I blame the PP woes on the coaching 100%.

Goose on the PP?? WTF?!! Vanek doing a 7 mill. a year Andreychuk impression??!

Burke gave up two #1's and a #2 for Kessel. I bet it would take at least our #1 pick and Ennis. Then you still have to sign him to a long-term deal for it to make any sense (6m+/5yrs???)...yikes.

Billfold,

You just contradicted your own theory, in the same sentence I might add.

Look, there is no way whatsoever that Kaberle gets a 1st round selection and an Ennis type player on a 1 year contract. Thats a pipe dream and Burke, as a GM knows it.

It would require a 1st, but more like a mid level prospect or a 2nd liner currently playing with the big club.

Ennis, Weber, Gragnani, Enroth, Kassian and Adams are not going anywhere in a deal for Kaberle unless he signs a reasonable extension.

Its purely a matter of fair value for both parties in the arrangement.

I can see Gragnani or Enroth going if there is a 3 year extension or so as well as a Connolly or Stafford type player, but thats about it.

Regier is not going to give up future potential on a series level without an extension.

It would require a 1st, but more like a mid level prospect or a 2nd liner currently playing with the big club.

Ennis, Weber, Gragnani, Enroth, Kassian and Adams are not going anywhere in a deal for Kaberle unless he signs a reasonable extension.

I assume you're talking about Luke Adam? I was about to ask you how Mark Adams suddenly appeared on a valued prospect list.

These Andreychuk comments that randomly pop up always annoy me. A soon to be hall of famer and the greatest powerplay scorer the game has ever seen. Yeah, I'd take that from anyone currently on this team.

But you are not going to get that player out of someone who is 6'2" 205lbs. Also defenses are bigger now. Andreychuk's size probably translates to about 6'5" and 240lbs now. That's not Vanek and that guy isn't on the team.

These Andreychuk comments that randomly pop up always annoy me. A soon to be hall of famer and the greatest powerplay scorer the game has ever seen. Yeah, I'd take that from anyone currently on this team.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Andreychuk, I'm merely pointing out that a player such as he does not get paid top dollar for doing what he does.

Also, hall of famer or not, Vanek is a much more talented player than Dave ever was, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that. Only Dave got the most out of his talent. Vanek hasn't by a longshot so far.

My point is, it's a damn waste to put Vanek in the crease night after night after night, even if he's good at it. Change things up once in a while. The book was out on the Sabres PP by mid October, for Christ sake.

Vanek can do much more than stand in the crease, and at 7 mill. I think it's damn well required of him.

Happy?

Still trying to figure out the love for Gragnani, he's bordering on Mancari status yet people want to annoint him the next PP QB. I think I have my nec topic.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Andreychuk, I'm merely pointing out that a player such as he does not get paid top dollar for doing what he does.

Also, hall of famer or not, Vanek is a much more talented player than Dave ever was, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that. Only Dave got the most out of his talent. Vanek hasn't by a longshot so far.

My point is, it's a damn waste to put Vanek in the crease night after night after night, even if he's good at it. Change things up once in a while. The book was out on the Sabres PP by mid October, for Christ sake.

Vanek can do much more than stand in the crease, and at 7 mill. I think it's damn well required of him.

Happy?

You put an actual PP pointman out there and Vanek's numbers go through the roof. That's what killed the PP this year.

My point is, it's a damn waste to put Vanek in the crease night after night after night, even if he's good at it.

I've gone beyond being a broken record on this. Lindy and the coaching staff should be fired on this point alone. Do the 3 of them combined have any ability to come up with some creative offensive game planning?

I'm posting this via my cell so I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I was in canada few days ago visiting a friend and watched sportsnet hockey show, and darren millard said the new rumor was burke wants a top 6 forward for kaberle and the rumor is a bobby ryan for kabs swap.

Ryan is a RFA and ducks are tight with cap space and are losing Niedermayer.

You put an actual PP pointman out there and Vanek's numbers go through the roof. That's what killed the PP this year.

So I guess losing the puck being cutesy with it on the boards, failure to retrieve it on dump-ins, some players taking 6 months to wind up a slapper instead of firing a quick wrister has nothing to do with it?

Somebody needs to get the puck to that pointman, and we don't have anyone who can consistently handle the puck well enough, nor are we good enough at retrieving it to be effective, PP QB or not.

Also, I'm not talking about Vanek's numbers at all. I'm talking about the fact that we have a crap PP, and we still put or best player in the position that has the least puck possesion.

We can all sit down and say, "well if we had this and this guy things would look better".

Well, we don't have that guy, and Darcy's sure as heck won't bring that guy in either. We have who's on the roster, and it's 100% on coaching when nobody does anything change up a crappy PP that isn't working.

Using a PP strategy that apparently requires as player who's not on the roster doesn't exactly sound like good coaching either.

So I guess losing the puck being cutesy with it on the boards, failure to retrieve it on dump-ins, some players taking 6 months to wind up a slapper instead of firing a quick wrister has nothing to do with it?

Somebody needs to get the puck to that pointman, and we don't have anyone who can consistently handle the puck well enough, nor are we good enough at retrieving it to be effective, PP QB or not.

Also, I'm not talking about Vanek's numbers at all. I'm talking about the fact that we have a crap PP, and we still put or best player in the position that has the least puck possesion.

We can all sit down and say, "well if we had this and this guy things would look better".

Well, we don't have that guy, and Darcy's sure as heck won't bring that guy in either. We have who's on the roster, and it's 100% on coaching when nobody does anything change up a crappy PP that isn't working.

Using a PP strategy that apparently requires as player who's not on the roster doesn't exactly sound like good coaching either.

So you admit that they have no one to control the puck along the boards, no point man, they finish in the middle of the pack in power play percentage but its the coaches fault they aren't better?

So you admit that they have no one to control the puck along the boards, no point man, they finish in the middle of the pack in power play percentage but its the coaches fault they aren't better?

They have to take some of the blame (most of it in my opinion). I have hated our PP for years; watching Vanek get beat up in front of the net where all everyone else is trying to do is get the puck back the point for a big bomb that inevitably hits the column of guys that the other team has put between the shooter and the goalie. Vanek needs to be used more like Kovalev or Jagr were, camped out along the low boards where they could use their hands more effectively. The puck couldn't get to him any less than it does with him front of the net and at least he wouldn't get beat up.

Look at his numbers with Spacek and Kotalik on the point, even Teppo. Now look at his numbers after he left. Those guys weren't exactly elite PP pointmen, but they all could get the puck on the net consistently.

Why doesn't Lindy bail? Seriously. Is he not as confident in his abilities as most fans? Afraid of no longer being the big fish in the little pond?

If you're right that he's being set up to fail here, you'd think he would have left years ago. Is it really what he said, wanting to bring a Cup to Buffalo? But how's he going to do that without the horses?

Why doesn't Lindy bail? Seriously. Is he not as confident in his abilities as most fans? Afraid of no longer being the big fish in the little pond?

If you're right that he's being set up to fail here, you'd think he would have left years ago. Is it really what he said, wanting to bring a Cup to Buffalo? But how's he going to do that without the horses?

As in every job, in the final analysis, the grass isn't always greaner. No employee agrees with his boss or bosses one hundred percent, but a mature employee understands that there are few, if any perfect situations. The situation here is far from bleak, they have enjoyed as much or more success as 80% of the league, he is paid well, lives in a community he loves, why should he leave?

He should do a better job developing the talent in those horses.

Archived