Kaberle

spndnchz

As in every job, in the final analysis, the grass isn't always greaner. No employee agrees with his boss or bosses one hundred percent, but a mature employee understands that there are few, if any perfect situations. The situation here is far from bleak, they have enjoyed as much or more success as 80% of the league, he is paid well, lives in a community he loves, why should he leave?

Because, as you and others consistenly argue, he is not being given the players he can win that Stanley Cup with. There's weak ownership, a non-hockey man leading the management team and an ineffective GM, all in the context of a small market.

Maybe the answer is that Lindy's ego is so big he thinks he can overcome all that. I still have doubts that when a coach so desperately wants to win for "his" city, it's a healthy situation.

So you admit that they have no one to control the puck along the boards, no point man, they finish in the middle of the pack in power play percentage but its the coaches fault they aren't better?

Like I said, our best player spends his time standing around, waiting for the puck to hit him.

On a PP that is not working, that's not the way to use him. Split words all you want.

Look at his numbers with Spacek and Kotalik on the point, even Teppo. Now look at his numbers after he left. Those guys weren't exactly elite PP pointmen, but they all could get the puck on the net consistently.

You're missing my point.

I never said Vanek wasn't good in front of the net, all I said was when the PP isn't working, you need to at least try and use him elsewhere and see how that works out.

And now that I've mentioned Dave several times, I'll use him as an example again - If Vanek was as good in front of the net as Andreychuk in his prime, then by all means there's a point in keeping him there at all cost.

He isn't though, and it's been time to try and do something else with him for months.

Like I said, our best player spends his time standing around, waiting for the puck to hit him.

On a PP that is not working, that's not the way to use him. Split words all you want.

The point is , is that it is not as bad as you have portrayed, especially considering the lack of a point man.

The point is , is that it is not as bad as you have portrayed, especially considering the lack of a point man.

Again like I said above, playing a PP system that relies heavily on a player you don't currently have isn't exactly good coaching either.

They probably only needed two PP goals in the playoffs to win that series and they couldn't get them. That's pretty bad.

Because, as you and others consistenly argue, he is not being given the players he can win that Stanley Cup with. There's weak ownership, a non-hockey man leading the management team and an ineffective GM, all in the context of a small market.

Maybe the answer is that Lindy's ego is so big he thinks he can overcome all that. I still have doubts that when a coach so desperately wants to win for "his" city, it's a healthy situation.

Again, as desparate as you and others have portrayed the Sabres situation, in the larger context, they have been pretty succesful. In the 12 seasons that he has been coach, 9 franchises have won the Cup. Others then those, which franchises have been more succesful?

Out of those 9, which are looking for a new coach?

So I ask you again, why should he leave?

Again, as desparate as you and others have portrayed the Sabres situation, in the larger context, they have been pretty succesful. In the 12 seasons that he has been coach, 9 franchises have won the Cup. Others then those, which franchises have been more succesful?

Out of those 9, which are looking for a new coach?

So I ask you again, why should he leave?

Clearly, he has no reason to leave. He's not that ambitious, apparently.

He should be fired because 12 years is enough. "Pretty successful" is not the franchise's stated goal.

You also say the power play isn't that bad. Check out my post detailing Lindy's power play record in elimination rounds. This includes years where the team's offensive talent was deficient (99), decent (this year) and exceptional (07). What's the common thread, Skip?

I won't touch the question about the nine franchises. I'm playing softball later and don't want to shoot my wad on that one.

They probably only needed two PP goals in the playoffs to win that series and they couldn't get them. That's pretty bad.

Exactly like the conference finals against Ottawa. A competant power play and they're actually in that series. If I remember correctly, they only scored one PP goal in that series and it was a 5-on-3.

Clearly, he has no reason to leave. He's not that ambitious, apparently.

He should be fired because 12 years is enough. "Pretty successful" is not the franchise's stated goal.

You also say the power play isn't that bad. Check out my post detailing Lindy's power play record in elimination rounds. This includes years where the team's offensive talent was deficient (99), decent (this year) and exceptional (07). What's the common thread, Skip?I won't touch the question about the nine franchises. I'm playing softball later and don't want to shoot my wad on that one.

And the point you fail to see is that every team being eliminated can point to power play failure. The Capitals, for Christ's sake, blame the power play failure this year. Its an easier answer to a larger problem.

As for not being ambitious, if there isn't a decidedly better position open, then how is it lack of ambition. Again, a bullet point answer designed to mask the fact you have no good answer.

And the point you fail to see is that every team being eliminated can point to power play failure. The Capitals, for Christ's sake, blame the power play failure this year. Its an easier answer to a larger problem.

As for not being ambitious, if there isn't a decidedly better position open, then how is it lack of ambition. Again, a bullet point answer designed to mask the fact you have no good answer.

Lindy's reputation, probably starting in 99, and especially after 05-07, has been so good that he could pick and choose where he ends up. Isn't the conventional wisdom that the day Lindy leaves Buffalo is the day many teams come calling? Lindy could find the franchise where the ownership and management are strong enough to give him the tools to finish the job. Maybe he's afraid, like I am, that he just doesn't have a Cup in him.

+1, although I think it's mostly attributable to Vanek's injury and the lack of guts of Roy, TC, Pommer and Stafford than to Lindy.

Exactly like the conference finals against Ottawa. A competant power play and they're actually in that series. If I remember correctly, they only scored one PP goal in that series and it was a 5-on-3.

That was a recurring nightmare. And they led the NHL in scoring that year! At least they did well in free agency that summer -- oh, that's right.

Lindy's reputation, probably starting in 99, and especially after 05-07, has been so good that he could pick and choose where he ends up. Isn't the conventional wisdom that the day Lindy leaves Buffalo is the day many teams come calling? Lindy could find the franchise where the ownership and management are strong enough to give him the tools to finish the job. Maybe he's afraid, like I am, that he just doesn't have a Cup in him.

Or maybe he thinks the improvement in the odds of winning a Cup elsewhere relative to winning it here is a pretty small spread and isn't worth uprooting his family.

Rumors are out that the Buffalo Sabres have offered a package to the Leafs for Tomas Kaberle that would bring Derek Roy and Drew Stafford to Toronto.

link

NFW. Not even with a signed extension.

That would actually be very interesting because it would mean they would have to go after a center or two from outside the organization.

That would actually be very interesting because it would mean they would have to go after a center or two from outside the organization.

Good point. Those 2 plus Ludes and Hank give you 10.2mill plus to sign Kaberle and a good center. I just like Roy's creativity. I'd rather see Connolly gone.

Good point. Those 2 plus Ludes and Hank give you 10.2mill plus to sign Kaberle and a good center. I just like Roy's creativity. I'd rather see Connolly gone.

I am okay with trading Roy and have been for over a year now, but trading him would almost guarantee another contract extension for Connolly. :thumbdown:

Rumors are out that the Buffalo Sabres have offered a package to the Leafs for Tomas Kaberle that would bring Derek Roy and Drew Stafford to Toronto.

link

NFW. Not even with a signed extension.

Only way they offer that is if they are confident of landing another Center and something else is coming back.

Can't disagree there, but at least getting rid of Roy and Stafford probably spells the end of the brat pack.

Can't disagree there, but at least getting rid of Roy and Stafford probably spells the end of the brat pack.

you know what i dont get is how people say i don like that players "attitude". how could anyone possibly know what these players attitudes really are? and how do you really know if a player is "locker room cancer"?

Toronto radio stations are all over the Kaberle to Buffalo story.

Most believe its Connolly and Stafford, not Roy and Stafford.

Kaberle would have to sign an extension they are saying for the rumored price.

If Buffalo were to land Kaberle it would be a large component for their power play woes.

Also, a Dallas radio station reported today the Sabres are interested in Brad Richards. Its purely speculation at this point Dave said.

But if he were to agree to an extension, Dallas Dave thinks Buffalo is the place Richards will most likely end up.

Just some Sunday radio sports banter for all the faithful.

Toronto radio stations are all over the Kaberle to Buffalo story.

Most believe its Connolly and Stafford, not Roy and Stafford.

Kaberle would have to sign an extension they are saying for the rumored price.

If Buffalo were to land Kaberle it would be a large component for their power play woes.

Also, a Dallas radio station reported today the Sabres are interested in Brad Richards. Its purely speculation at this point Dave said.

But if he were to agree to an extension, Dallas Dave thinks Buffalo is the place Richards will most likely end up.

Just some Sunday radio sports banter for all the faithful.

I just heard a big thud under my laptop.

Archived