Kaberle

spndnchz

Word on the street is Buffalo out of the Kaberle mix.

Which begs the question, were they ever in the mix to begin with.

No way in He11.

Too much rumor-mongering at this point to know whether the Sabres were ever in or are in or out now. We'll know when we know, which will be by Saturday.

FWIW, I don't think Burke is going to get that much for Kaberle, so if DR bids for him, I don't think another GM will make a substantially better bid. He's a good player, but only under contract for 1 more year, and with a NTC -- so a team can't pick him up and then unload him at the deadline. This makes him a less valuable acquisition now.

Too much rumor-mongering at this point to know whether the Sabres were ever in or are in or out now. We'll know when we know, which will be by Saturday.

FWIW, I don't think Burke is going to get that much for Kaberle, so if DR bids for him, I don't think another GM will make a substantially better bid. He's a good player, but only under contract for 1 more year, and with a NTC -- so a team can't pick him up and then unload him at the deadline. This makes him a less valuable acquisition now.

Are you sure about the NTC? I thought that goes away as of July 1st?

Is that standard with NTCs? Kind of a odd thing to add into a contract. Smart on the teams part.

I don't think it's common but I think I've heard of variations on this, with the idea being that the player will agree that if he is to be traded, it has to be during the offseason.

I don't think it's common but I think I've heard of variations on this, with the idea being that the player will agree that if he is to be traded, it has to be during the offseason.

His was also conditional on missing the playoffs, which they wouldn't know (for sure, anyway) until the offseason. That allows the team to make bigger decisions of things aren't working.

haha your not serious

Completely Serious

I don't want Kaberle for what it would cost to get him, it will be ALOT more then just Roy. Burke wants a 1st rounder + for Kaberle. The Leafs view him as one of the top players available and Burke is not the kind of guy who is going to take less then what he wants, he is like Regier in that he doesn't want to make a deal where he will look the fool and not be the "winner" in the deal. He knows he gave up ALOT for Kessel and is desperatly trying to get a 1st rounder back to make that deal look better.

if you could get Kaberle for Roy straight up, I'd be ok with that, but thats not what Burke will get, you better throw in atleast a very high second with Roy before Burke makes the move.

He's a proven winner even though he only has one cup to his name? As was pointed out earlier, the cup was only his second year there and the bulk of that roster came from the previous regime. Other than that, he spent one year as GM in Hartford and had his time in Vancouver. There was a nice little turnaround there, but that team as a whole has been a group of underachievers. Where does he get this god-like status from? I hardly see the proof of someone who can do no wrong.

Leafs fans

In Burke they trust. If you all think Darcy and larry are great at spinning things for the fans, Burke and the Laughs managed to convince the fan base that giving up 2 first rounders, one that would have been for one of the top players in this draft, was still a great deal cause kessel is going to be a better player then Taylor or Hall

His NTC goes away from the entry draft until Aug 15th. If he were to be traded, the acquiring team does not have to honor NTC'c, NMC's, etc. The latter is true in all cases.

Completely Serious

I don't want Kaberle for what it would cost to get him, it will be ALOT more then just Roy. Burke wants a 1st rounder + for Kaberle. The Leafs view him as one of the top players available and Burke is not the kind of guy who is going to take less then what he wants, he is like Regier in that he doesn't want to make a deal where he will look the fool and not be the "winner" in the deal. He knows he gave up ALOT for Kessel and is desperatly trying to get a 1st rounder back to make that deal look better.

if you could get Kaberle for Roy straight up, I'd be ok with that, but thats not what Burke will get, you better throw in atleast a very high second with Roy before Burke makes the move.

I must call BS on this. I don't think Toronto will do any better than Roy (a 70-pt guy with 3 yrs left on a pretty good contract) in exchange for Kaberle. I would probably feel differently if Kaberle had more time left on his contract, but teams are only going to give up so much for one year of Kaberle.

His NTC goes away from the entry draft until Aug 15th. If he were to be traded, the acquiring team does not have to honor NTC'c, NMC's, etc. The latter is true in all cases.

Interesting. How confident are you on this?

Interesting. How confident are you on this?

I assume you mean the bolded part? I don't have a link but I do remember reading it somewhere. It would make sense that once a player gets traded he has in fact nullified his NTC by letting himself get traded. The acquiring club can honor the NTC, NMC if they chose. This might apply in a situation where the player has waived it to be traded and the new team wants to entice the player by saying they'll honor the NT, NMC.

EARLY REPORT FROM Team 990

KABERLE TO BOSTON

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Dregs/McKenzie are due to tweet on it in 15 minutes or so, but the Leafs organization has confirmed to Team 990 radio a deal has been reached.

If I'm Marc Savard and I'm involved in this deal in anyway as some speculation has said, I'm majorly pissed off right about now. He passed on testing the market and took a lower deal to stick with Boston. Then again, Boston would be crazy to move him since he's the only offense they actually have.

Is it too soon to discuss Plan B?

If Darcy Regier finds Brian Burke uninterested in the package he - Regier - is offering for Tomas Kaberle, and Regier remains in the hunt for a so-called powerplay quarterback, who might we see come to Buffalo? Here are three UFAs* Darcy might consider:

Carlo Colaiacovo, 27

Derek Morris, 31

Joe Corvo, 33

While Colaiacovo may not have Kaberle's playmaking ability, he is no slouch in that area, and - unlike Kaberle - he is always willing to shoot the puck. Also - unlike Kaberle - he will hit. Colaiavoco is five or six years younger. His price tag will not be $4,000,000 per season.

* according to the good folks at NHLnumbers.com, these three players are UFAs

Archived