Kaberle

spndnchz

Kaberle?? No thanks, not for what Toronto wants for him. Wasn't he like a -13 this year as a defencemen?

Let the Leafs keep him, no way I would give up a decent prospect or anything better then a 3rd for him. If the Leafs don't want him, neither would I

haha your not serious

Kaberle?? No thanks, not for what Toronto wants for him. Wasn't he like a -13 this year as a defencemen?

Let the Leafs keep him, no way I would give up a decent prospect or anything better then a 3rd for him. If the Leafs don't want him, neither would I

You have missed the point in Regierian fashion.

Kaberle's value to the Leafs is as a asset not a player. I have no doubt Burke is going to flip Kaberle into more pieces of his puzzle. It doesn't mean Kaberle is a bad hockey palyer. It just means he doesn't fit in Burke's blueprint of building a championship team.

On an incredibly awful team, they're all going to be a minus player. His powerplay numbers would balance that out and that's exactly what this team needs, a powerplay QB. Maybe Kaberle isn't the guy, but they need to find one somewhere.

On an incredibly awful team, they're all going to be a minus player. His powerplay numbers would balance that out and that's exactly what this team needs, a powerplay QB. Maybe Kaberle isn't the guy, but they need to find one somewhere.

Is it safe to say we are looking for a partner for Myers? I have doubts that Kaberle and Myers are a good pairing.

I'm glad to see that there is a thread specifically about Tomas Kaberle.

Can we all agree that Darcy Regier shares our conviction that Kaberle would bolster the powerplay in Buffalo? Further, can we all agree that Regier is interested in Kaberle, and - as a result - the Sabres will be one of the teams bidding for him?

The problem is that I foresee Regier offering Toronto Chris Butler or Drew Stafford and a second round draft choice. That won't do it. If it isn't Butler or Stafford and a first round pick, or Derek Roy straight up for Kaberle, the Leafs will look elsewhere.

We can agree on it all we like, but it will make zero difference as to whether it's actually true.

Your prediction on DR's offer for Kaberle sounds dead on, and I agree that Burke won't accept it without shopping Kaberle around some more.

I happen to agree, Burke is a master at getting the pieces he wants.

Alot of fans from all over thought he over paid for Kessel given where Toronto's draft pick ended up, but that is hind sight. Kessel is worth the 2 1st rounders he gave away and Burke will build a hard nosed team around him and Phaneuf.

I wasn't a fan of the Phaneuf trade, but then again, as many have pointed out to me, Burke knows what he is doing.

I can see Toronto getting nasty to play against in another couple of seasons.

Well, I thought Burke overpaid for Kessel but underpaid for Phaneuf. I generally like him and expect him to build a good team in Toronto over time, but they are still a good bit away. Still no goalie and only one good forward. That's why I think Burke would take Roy for Kaberle straight up.

[/b]

Is it safe to say we are looking for a partner for Myers? I have doubts that Kaberle and Myers are a good pairing.

What do you think about Gonchar and Myers?

We can agree on it all we like, but it will make zero difference as to whether it's actually true.

Your prediction on DR's offer for Kaberle sounds dead on, and I agree that Burke won't accept it without shopping Kaberle around some more.

Well, I thought Burke overpaid for Kessel but underpaid for Phaneuf. I generally like him and expect him to build a good team in Toronto over time, but they are still a good bit away. Still no goalie and only one good forward. That's why I think Burke would take Roy for Kaberle straight up.

What do you think about Gonchar and Myers?

I would like Volchenkov a lot more. He has that nasty mean streak I want Myers to develop.

I would like Volchenkov a lot more. He has that nasty mean streak I want Myers to develop.

I would also prefer Volchenkov, but I don't see the Sabres bringing in a Russian player unless they bring in more than one (and it's not likely they bring in 2). I was thinking about Gonchar more as an alternative for Kaberle. Volchenkov doesn't do anything for the power play. Come to think of it though, Gonchar is also Russian.

[/b]

I think any powerplay QB would be completely independent of Myers. The guy they need to bring in needs to be more of a run and gun type player and that shouldn't be paired up with Myers. He's already from that mold and would need more of a stay at home type guy to his side. There are a few of the elite who are equally gifted offensively and defensively, but that's not the kind of guy they're going to be able to get.

What about them?

He's a proven winner even though he only has one cup to his name? As was pointed out earlier, the cup was only his second year there and the bulk of that roster came from the previous regime. Other than that, he spent one year as GM in Hartford and had his time in Vancouver. There was a nice little turnaround there, but that team as a whole has been a group of underachievers. Where does he get this god-like status from? I hardly see the proof of someone who can do no wrong.

He's a proven winner even though he only has one cup to his name? As was pointed out earlier, the cup was only his second year there and the bulk of that roster came from the previous regime. Other than that, he spent one year as GM in Hartford and had his time in Vancouver. There was a nice little turnaround there, but that team as a whole has been a group of underachievers. Where does he get this god-like status from? I hardly see the proof of someone who can do no wrong.

No one is giving him God like status, I have no idea where that comes from.

I am merely pointing out he has had success in the past.

"In 1998, he became General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks. With the Canucks, he was credited with reviving the ailing franchise and increasing attendance, with the drafting and signing of several key players such as Daniel and Henrik Sedin, as the team won a playoff series and captured a division title. Following the 2003–04 NHL season, Canucks ownership chose not to renew Burke's contract for the GM position. Burke then briefly worked as an analyst for NHL games on both the CBC and TSN. During the 2004–05 NHL lockout, he proposed a 15-point plan derived from his experience as an agent and general manager."

The only reason Burke left the Ducks was to return to Canada via the Maple Leafs as his wife was then working the Canadian News. He himself even stated such and that it was taxing on his family life.

"On August 4, 2005 Scott Niedermayer signed with the Ducks to play with his brother Rob. Niedermayer was almost immediately named team captain. The 2005-06 NHL Season saw the emergence of rookies Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Chris Kunitz. On November 15, 2005 the Ducks traded Sergei Fedorov, and a 5th round draft pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets for defenseman Francois Beauchemin and Tyler Wright. The Ducks finished the season with a 43-27-12 record good enough for 98 points and the sixth seed. The Ducks faced the Calgary Flames in the quarterfinals and forced a seventh game in Calgary. The Ducks shut out the Flames to reach the semifinals. In an interesting playoff all the bottom seeds won in the first round so the Ducks faced the seventh seed Colorado. Ilya Bryzgalov shined as the Ducks swept the Avalanche. In the franchises second Western Conference Final they faced the eighth seeded Edmonton Oilers. The Ducks would ultimately lose the series in five games.

Before the 2006-2007 NHL Season the Ducks traded Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid and a first round draft pick to Edmonton for defenseman Chris Pronger. With this trade the Ducks were considered by many to be a cup favorite. On November 9, 2006, the Ducks defeated the Vancouver Canucks 6–0 at General Motors Place in Vancouver, British Columbia to improve their season record to 12–0–4. The win set an NHL open era record by remaining undefeated in regulation for the first 16 games of the season, eclipsing the previous mark set by the 1983–84 Edmonton Oilers. They were subsequently shut out by the Flames the following game, 3–0, ending their streak. On January 16, 2007 the Ducks played in their franchise's 1000th regular season game, and on March 11, the Ducks recorded their franchise's 1000th point with a 4–2 win over the Canucks, which improved their franchise all-time record to 423–444–155, 1001 points. On April 7, the Ducks won their first Pacific Division title in franchise history, when the Canucks defeated the second-place San Jose Sharks in the final game of the season. The Ducks ended the regular season with a 48-20-14 record, good enough for second place with 110 points. The Ducks defeat Minnesota in the quarterfinals in five games as well as the Canucks in the semifinals in five games. Once again the Ducks faced the Red Wings in the franchises third trip to the Western Conference Final. In game three Pronger elbowed Tomas Holmstrom and received a one game suspension. The Ducks won game four without Pronger and game five in Detroit as Selanne scored in overtime. The Ducks finished out the Red Wings in game six to advance to their second Stanley Cup Final.

In the 2007 Stanley Cup Final the Ducks won the first two games at home against the Ottawa Senators. The Ducks lost game three and once again Pronger was suspended one game for this time elbowing Dean McAmmond. The Ducks were once again able to beat Ottawa without Pronger to have a chance to win the cup on home ice in game five. On June 6, the Ducks defeated the Ottawa Senators 6–2 at Honda Center to claim their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. Travis Moen was credited with the third goal which was the Stanley Cup winning goal. Scott Niedermayer won the second Conn Smythe Trophy in Ducks history. The Ducks became the first California team, and the first west coast team since the 1925 Victoria Cougars to win the Stanley Cup."

I would think alot of that team was indeed already in place, however, I also firmly believe that Burke put the pieces in place to win the cup, that is very significant unto itself.

I think any powerplay QB would be completely independent of Myers. The guy they need to bring in needs to be more of a run and gun type player and that shouldn't be paired up with Myers. He's already from that mold and would need more of a stay at home type guy to his side. There are a few of the elite who are equally gifted offensively and defensively, but that's not the kind of guy they're going to be able to get.

Which leads me to believe MA Gragnani is going to be the Sabres answer to their PP QB. That's not a good solution.

I would think alot of that team was indeed already in place, however, I also firmly believe that Burke put the pieces in place to win the cup, that is very significant unto itself.

Toronto is much closer to being a situation where he has to start from scratch. He won in his second year in Anahiem and I think we'll all agree that's not happening in Toronto. If anything this is more of a Vancouver-like situation.

Which leads me to believe MA Gragnani is going to be the Sabres answer to their PP QB. That's not a good solution.

I've already stated this inkman. Darcy himself has stated he fully expected Gragnani and Weber up with the big club next season. I for one fully endorse this. Discounting Gragnani's ability to make the roster and achieve some type of success is going to happen in my opinion. How much success? I'll will say he is going to surprise alot of people in Buffalo next season, but he won't be a Kaberle type player, just my view of him while he is this young.

I would much rather see Kaberle in there and Gragnani moved to get him here, but I don't think Regier does it. :cry:

I've already stated this inkman. Darcy himself has stated he fully expected Gragnani and Weber up with the big club next season. I for one fully endorse this. Discounting Gragnani's ability to make the roster and achieve some type of success is going to happen in my opinion. How much success? I'll will say he is going to surprise alot of people in Buffalo next season, but he won't be a Kaberle type player, just my view of him while he is this young.

I would much rather see Kaberle in there and Gragnani moved to get him here, but I don't think Regier does it. :cry:

To make the NHL roster or to rotate in when there is a rash of injuries? Or maybe to compete for the roster in camp? I haven't heard DR say they were going to be on the NHL roster. Got a link?

To make the NHL roster or to rotate in when there is a rash of injuries? Or maybe to compete for the roster in camp? I haven't heard DR say they were going to be on the NHL roster. Got a link?

Yeah, Darcy is very cautious about saying things like that. Heck, he told Ennis that he shouldn't assume he will be up next year. I heard an interview on WGR550 with Darcy and he said that there are two defensemen that might be pushing to come up. He usually uses uncertain terms like "may", "might", and "could".

And again as I said, that's just posturing. MAG never sees a 100 games in the NHL in my opinion.

He said that there are two defensemen that they think are ready to take the leap. He never mentioned names and never said that they will be with the big club next year.

Didn't he mention them at the year end press conference?

Yes he did, by name.

Its in the Sabres.com sight on the Sabres TV sight archives I'm sure. But you are correct DeLuca, he "DID" mention both Gragnani and Weber by name specifically.

He "DID NOT" however, state they would be on the team for sure next season as nfreeman pointed out. He stated he expected them both to make strong pushes for roster positions with the Sabres this season. Which, in short, means they will be on the team next season, since Darcy likes to build from within.

Yes he did, by name.

Its in the Sabres.com sight on the Sabres TV sight archives I'm sure. But you are correct DeLuca, he "DID" mention both Gragnani and Weber by name specifically.

He "DID NOT" however, state they would be on the team for sure next season as nfreeman pointed out. He stated he expected them both to make strong pushes for roster positions with the Sabres this season. Which, in short, means they will be on the team next season, since Darcy likes to build from within.

I know Deluca has little use for DR and wouldn't dare assume his words are calculated. However, I put some stock in the belief that those words are messages to both the team and to their opponents. Would you expect him to say, boy the next three or defensive prospects suck so we better get a deal done or sign Hank and Toni?

Guest Sloth

Burke gave up two #1's and a #2 for Kessel. I bet it would take at least our #1 pick and Ennis. Then you still have to sign him to a long-term deal for it to make any sense (6m+/5yrs???)...yikes.

I know I've joined this particular thread rather late, but the Sabres would be INSANE to give up Ennis. He was one of the few Sabres to play with the give it all you got mentality in the playoffs. Ennis is insanely fast and he does a great job of getting the puck in the zone to get something set up. Ennis's main problem was his hesitation to take a shot. Experience will help that though. Ennis is a must stay in Buffalo.

He "DID NOT" however, state they would be on the team for sure next season as nfreeman pointed out. He stated he expected them both to make strong pushes for roster positions with the Sabres this season.

Exactly right

Really? There'd be no way I'd give up a 23 and 19 yr old studs that's signed for two more years on the cheap plus picks for a 32 yr old dman that got one yr left on his contract.

+1. This is far too much to give... unless Kaberle has become Pronger.

Archived