NHL 2ND ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION

LabattBlue

Am I reading this right: Franzen with three goals (and four points) in the first? 6-0 in the second? Wow. Looks like no sweep tonight. I'm watching the much tighter Habs-Pens game.

Yep - correct. For a while, Franzen had all 4 goals from the first. They reviewed and changed one of them to Bertuzzi.

Yes, they're a division rival. Yes, we don't like them.

But you gotta love the atmosphere in Montreal tonight.

I don't dislike Montreal unless Buffalo has a stake in the game--which Buffalo does not, until October. I'm pulling for the Habs all the way. Great job by the CBC crew in the last five minutes tonight; it was like listening to RJ ten years ago.

John Murphy was talking over Bruins highlights when Miro scored and he said, "That's Miro Satan! That's Miro Satan!" quite sarcastically. I don't get it. I think with some media types it just becomes sort of a running joke, the conventional wisdom, the easy opinion to have. Sullivan waits a week after the regular season, sticks his finger in the air and writes the Connolly Column. How original.

John Murphy still does sports? First Brad Riter is doing radio in Buffalo and now this. What a crazy week. You can excuse John Murphy's lack of hockey knowledge considering he is a football guy :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Holy Cr@p. I was laughing so hard while typing the last line I think I passed out.

I'll say this now being 100% serious. Miro Satan is probably the last great Sabres forward to date. Drury and Briere didn't want to stay around long enough to establish the resume Satan did. Vanek will probably be the next great Sabres forward.

Its funny how nucks fans are calling for a goal to be disallowed for goalie interference but what they don't mention is how do you call the goal back when it was'nt even a hawks player to put it in the net.It was a canuck.It went in off a nucks skate.I may be wrong but if a player puts it in his own teams net can the ref call it off because the goalie got nudged?They actually scored 2 on themselves with Bieksa scoring on boo-ongo also.

John Murphy still does sports? First Brad Riter is doing radio in Buffalo and now this. What a crazy week. You can excuse John Murphy's lack of hockey knowledge considering he is a football guy :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Holy Cr@p. I was laughing so hard while typing the last line I think I passed out.

I'll say this now being 100% serious. Miro Satan is probably the last great Sabres forward to date. Drury and Briere didn't want to stay around long enough to establish the resume Satan did. Vanek will probably be the next great Sabres forward.

A guy who hit 40 goals exactly once is not the last great Sabres forward.

I guess that's all down to personal preference, but the the last true GREAT Sabres forward in my opinion? Pat Lafontaine.

Been a few really good ones since, but none who deserve the "great" label, IMHO.

Him or Mogilny; probably both. Let's not cheapen "greatness" just because a decent scorer from the past is having a great playoffs this year.

I guess that's all down to personal preference, but the the last true GREAT Sabres forward in my opinion? Pat Lafontaine.

Been a few really good ones since, but none who deserve the "great" label, IMHO.

I was going to say something along the same lines. Good? Yes. Great? No. I think it's fair to say that he was the best one before we had Vanek.

Its funny how nucks fans are calling for a goal to be disallowed for goalie interference but what they don't mention is how do you call the goal back when it was'nt even a hawks player to put it in the net.It was a canuck.It went in off a nucks skate.I may be wrong but if a player puts it in his own teams net can the ref call it off because the goalie got nudged?They actually scored 2 on themselves with Bieksa scoring on boo-ongo also.

Listen up fellow BC'er, that last goal by Buff shouldn't have counted. Two Hawks barrelled into Luongo, the puck then hits a Canuck and goes in. You can't tell me that's a good goal. The call should be interference, it's clear. I have no problem with traffic, in fact I respect guys like Holmstrom and Ryan Smyth who actually do it fairly on most occasions. But what Chicago is doing has to be called.

Now quit being a negative nilly on the nucks. I know you don't like them, but damn it, it sure would be nice for this province to see them do it. If it can't be our Sabres, the Canucks are a great second choice to cheer for. IMO!!!

Rule 69 reads "yada yada yada... and a goal is scored..." It doesn't matter how a goal is scored.

Wow, just saw that goal for the first time. That would be pretty tough for a Vancouver fan to swallow. It's the NHL, what more can you say.

Rule 69 reads "yada yada yada... and a goal is scored..." It doesn't matter how a goal is scored.

Wow, just saw that goal for the first time. That would be pretty tough for a Vancouver fan to swallow. It's the NHL, what more can you say.

Man, did you see the first few minutes of the Pens/Habs game last night? The refs completely let the Penguins off on several calls (one of which led to their first goal). Cherry even mentioned it in Coach's Corner, and he usually calls for the refs to call fewer penalties. Plus the Habs got a bad call on at least one penalty against them. I'm glad they came back to win. Anyway, the officiating in the playoffs has for the most part been really good, but there have been a few real stinkers. One begins to wonder......

It just seems some teams seem to get shafted more often than other teams. Following both the Sabres and Canucks, I can tell you that they have to be right at the top of the list for "shafting."

The goal really didn't matter, but it's the point. Now the Canucks will try the same thing, but the league has ordered a "crackdown" and you watch, they'll be penalized for goalie interference for sure tonight.

It's official. The NHL has gone completely into pussification mode. Check penalty on Daniel Sedin in the 2nd period when he bumped with Versteeg. What a disgrace. I can't believe I invest any of my time in this sport. What happened to old time hockey? It's not just the NHL, it's every sport. The NBA, MLB, etc. It's a disgrace.

The last I looked, these are MEN playing, not ladies with skirts on. FcUk

I was going to say something along the same lines. Good? Yes. Great? No. I think it's fair to say that he was the best one before we had Vanek.

Be fair, has there been a offensive performer to wear a Sabres jersey that has accomplished more with less around him?

So the more I watch the Bruins, the more I'm convinced they are a team of destiny this year. Sure they let the Flyers off the hook last night, but what a great comeback in that game. They are a tough out.

Be fair, has there been a offensive performer to wear a Sabres jersey that has accomplished more with less around him?

We're all being fair; the guy was a decent goal scorer who had some players around him that you are discounting out of stubbornness. The guy wasn't great. And Mogilny did plenty even without LaFontaine.

So the more I watch the Bruins, the more I'm convinced they are a team of destiny this year. Sure they let the Flyers off the hook last night, but what a great comeback in that game. They are a tough out.

This is why I'd now like to see a Bruins-Canadiens ECF. The Bruins are looking all-heart and the Habs are energized after Game 4.

This is why I'd now like to see a Bruins-Canadiens ECF. The Bruins are looking all-heart and the Habs are energized after Game 4.

The deeper we get into the playoffs, the more I hate Lindy's system.

It's unbelievable how much more exciting hockey can be than what we saw this year from the Sabres.

And it's not the players.

The deeper we get into the playoffs, the more I hate Lindy's system.

It's unbelievable how much more exciting hockey can be than what we saw this year from the Sabres.

And it's not the players.

I think Lindy's system is a reflection of his lack of confidence in the "talent" Regier provides him.

Give your best example.

I'll answer with a question. Why does Vanek have to be the best two way player in the league? (Ruff's little project from last year)

Why can't he just score goals, especially because he's actually pretty good in our own end.

Archived