Well, Ottawa Is Officially Most Hated Team Again

CallawaySabres

I hated Ottawa for many years with nobody as a close second and starting last year, the Rangers took that spot. They continued to be most hated until last night where I have a feeling Ottawa will stay for good!

I will be dumping some money for some good seats when they come to town next......

Ever since Spezza and his smug grins/comments during the '05-'06 season, combined with Heatley, Neil and Chara, the Senators have been easily the most hated opponent IMO - followed closely by the Flyers. That's what made the 2006 playoffs so enjoyable for the first two rounds.

I hate how the Rangers can buy their team of big names and all-stars every year for the past decade but I can stomach them, knowing that in the end, they always fall apart or choke and don't represent any real threat.

For as long as Spezza and his smug grins/comments during the '05-'06 season, the Senators have been easily the most hated opponent IMO - followed closely by the Flyers. That's what made the 2006 playoffs so enjoyable for the first two rounds.

I hate how the Rangers can buy their team of big names and all-stars every year for the past decade but I can stomach them, knowing that in the end, they always fall apart or choke and don't represent any real threat.

That was Smolinski with the smug pic. I wish I still had the picture. It's always good to get the blood boiling.

How dare the guy make a face like that after scoring a goal in the playoffs? :doh:

I remember watching that game live and thinking "oh, f**k you, you smug piece of #%^$#!!" They had responded to a late third period tie by once again taking the lead and he makes not a celebration/elation face, but a "too easy" face. It was pure arrogance and it made that win even that much better.

I remember watching that game live and thinking "oh, f**k you, you smug piece of #%^$#!!" They had responded to a late third period tie by once again taking the lead and he makes not a celebration/elation face, but a "too easy" face. It was pure arrogance and it made that win even that much better.

exactly

Wow, talk about Ottawa being in your head.

Ever since Spezza and his smug grins/comments during the '05-'06 season, combined with Heatley, Neil and Chara, the Senators have been easily the most hated opponent IMO - followed closely by the Flyers. That's what made the 2006 playoffs so enjoyable for the first two rounds.

If you hate the Rangers, you'll enjoy this and this.

I remember that game too, but mostly because it was the greatest game I've ever seen. As for his smugness -- it was perfect for that team and that season. They were awesome that year (and crushed the Sabres several times early in the season), except for the Achilles heel in net.

That was Smolinski with the smug pic. I wish I still had the picture. It's always good to get the blood boiling.

I know what you're referring to with Smolinski but I am remembering Spezza during interviews with TSN - one of which was after the 10-4 win in 2005 where Spezza and several other Senators were riding the stationary bike in the locker room while being interviewed. He's always had this cockiness and veiled arrogance about him as if he and his teammates were ordained to be the best. The way he spoke after the Sens destroyed the Sabres in HSBC was a lasting image to me and the reason I hate the Sens.

Maybe I just notice more because its Ottawa, but I feel there have been a large number of injuries during these tilts with the Sens since 05-06. I understand injuries occur anywhere anytime and some of these are fluky. But you cant really overlook more than a couple.

Tallinder - twice. once in season and the same one in playoffs IIRC. (arm)

Gaustad - Heatley skate to the ankle (nearly career ending severed tendon)

Connolly - Peter Schaefer Game 2 '06 semis (concussion)

Drury - the Chris Neil thing. Even Ruff noticed prompting the gem phrase "Go run em" (concussion)

Vanek - puck to the grill, wasnt the same for a while (jaw?)

Kaleta - body slammed by our new favorite AHole (i dont remember what the injury was but was enough for Kaleta to miss time and Mair to stroll over to their dressing room after the game)

Peters - BITTEN by above mentioned AHole (if thats really an injury)

Kaleta - shoulder and plexiglass to the head .....uh.. AHole..again (injury unknown)

These are just off the top of my head and Im sure that there are more. Whenever they play those guys I not only feel pessimistic about the chances of winning, I literally fear for their well being.

Maybe I just notice more because its Ottawa, but I feel there have been a large number of injuries during these tilts with the Sens since 05-06. I understand injuries occur anywhere anytime and some of these are fluky. But you cant really overlook more than a couple.

Tallinder - twice. once in season and the same one in playoffs IIRC. (arm)

Gaustad - Heatley skate to the ankle (nearly career ending severed tendon)

Connolly - Peter Schaefer Game 2 '06 semis (concussion)

Drury - the Chris Neil thing. Even Ruff noticed prompting the gem phrase "Go run em" (concussion)

Vanek - puck to the grill, wasnt the same for a while (jaw?)

Kaleta - body slammed by our new favorite AHole (i dont remember what the injury was but was enough for Kaleta to miss time and Mair to stroll over to their dressing room after the game)

Peters - BITTEN by above mentioned AHole (if thats really an injury)

Kaleta - shoulder and plexiglass to the head .....uh.. AHole..again (injury unknown)

These are just off the top of my head and Im sure that there are more. Whenever they play those guys I not only feel pessimistic about the chances of winning, I literally fear for their well being.

Hey, it goes both ways, ya know? Alfie recently went to see his dermatologist for a suspicious mole on his neck. Doc said it was from red light exposure after abusing Ryan Miller the last five seasons.

For the record, I've hated the Sens since Ron Tugnutt and the 97 playoffs. I just remember listening to the game in bed on my little walkman radio and hearing "and Tugnutt makes the saaaave" over and over again. Steve Shields was a hero that year because of all of Hasek's dramatics.

For the record, I've hated the Sens since Ron Tugnutt and the 97 playoffs. I just remember listening to the game in bed on my little walkman radio and hearing "and Tugnutt makes the saaaave" over and over again. Steve Shields was a hero that year because of all of Hasek's dramatics.

The guy went through life with the name "Tugnutt"... Now you are going to pile on him? Hasn't he suffered enough? Tsk. Tsk.

The guy went through life with the name "Tugnutt"... Now you are going to pile on him? Hasn't he suffered enough? Tsk. Tsk.

:lol:

I never gave it that much thought until you mentioned it. Hopefully, that didn't happen in the locker room.

Latest on Kaleta and supposedly Ruutu:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=510267

The Ottawa papers are claiming Ruutu won't be suspended... I say run him the next they play.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-senators/suspension+Ruutu/2352061/story.html

Latest on Kaleta and supposedly Ruutu:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=510267

The Ottawa papers are claiming Ruutu won't be suspended... I say run him the next they play.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-senators/suspension+Ruutu/2352061/story.html

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but everyone knows that Jarkko Ruutu is a dirty player. It doesn't matter who he plays against or whatever jersey he wears, whether it be for an NHL team or for Team Finland. Jaromir Jagr could probably testify to that.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but everyone knows that Jarkko Ruutu is a dirty player. It doesn't matter who he plays against or whatever jersey he wears, whether it be for an NHL team or for Team Finland. Jaromir Jagr could probably testify to that.

From the game day thread:

The day the Sabres sign Jarkko Ruutu is the last day you will see me post here. Seriously, he maybe the only player in the NHL that I literally hate. He is beyond dirty. Every game that I can remember watching against the Sens where he has played, he has been caught on film doing something that was not just against the rules, but showed clear intent to injure. The fact that he's still in the NHL boggles my mind.

I truly feel that he is a bad person. Avery pisses me off and I dislike some of his antics, but deep down, I don't think he really is bad at heart. Ruutu, on the other hand, I believe is rotten to the core.

From the game day thread:

I truly feel that he is a bad person. Avery pisses me off and I dislike some of his antics, but deep down, I don't think he really is bad at heart. Ruutu, on the other hand, I believe is rotten to the core.

Here's where Ruutu should have gone. (NOTE: click on the "Trailer" tab).

Archived