"Official" Portland Pirates Thread

LabattBlue

Interesting article over on the main SabreSpace page about the possibility of Portland moving to Albany.

Pirates may ship to Albany

Makes a ton of sense for the Sabres of course to have the team down the road where the players have a straight trip across the Thruway and to be on the fringe of the Sabres market.

Not so fast to assume the Pirates are leaving

Published on: 12th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – It appears the Portland Pirates could be playing their final season in Portland.

According to a story in the Albany Times Union, the Portland Pirates have been named as a possible replacement for the Albany River Rats next season after it was announced they’re relocating to Charlotte for the 2010-‘11 season.

However, Neal Pratt Chairman of the Cumberland County Civic Center Trustee says not so fast.

Link>>>>

Pirates ownership focus continues to be Portland

Published on: 12th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The message was the same from Portland Pirates Managing Owner /CEO Brian Petrovek that it’s been all along as he held an impromptu press conference to discuss the reported rumors of the AHL’s franchise relocation to Albany, NY.

LINK>>>

(Video at the bottom of the story)

Pirates hold on for win; extend streak to eight games

Published on: 13th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates nearly let one get away on Saturday night before Derek Whitmore’s goal in the third period gave the Pirates a 5-4 win over the Adirondack Phantom in front of 5,318 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>

Pirates hold on for win; extend streak to eight games

Published on: 13th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Link>>>

Impressive job by Dineen to get these guys out of the basement and are now only 4 pts from Atlantic lead. Dineen should be in NHL next year.

Nine is fine for the Pirates

Published on: 15th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME Kyle Wanvig notched a Gordie Howe hat trick, not once, but twice as the Portland Pirates extended their win-streak to nine games with a 7-4 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack in a Monday matinee in front of 4,443 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>

My stomach roiled a bit at the news that Sen. Schumer sent a letter to LQ endorsing the idea of moving the Pirates to Albany, and asking LQ's help in doing this.

Any talk of moving a franchise should offend a Buffalo sports fan.

How should this offend a Buffalo sports fan? Schumer is trying to move the Pirates to NY, not away from Buffalo.

Not that Albany has been a hockey hot bed or anything...hell, we wouldn't support the NY Rangers if they moved here.

My stomach roiled a bit at the news that Sen. Schumer sent a letter to LQ endorsing the idea of moving the Pirates to Albany, and asking LQ's help in doing this.

I'm not sure why Shumer would contact LQ on this, since the Portland ownership and where they decide to locate their team is independent of the Sabres ownership?

How should this offend a Buffalo sports fan? Schumer is trying to move the Pirates to NY, not away from Buffalo.

Not that Albany has been a hockey hot bed or anything...hell, we wouldn't support the NY Rangers if they moved here.

If you have to ask the question, you probably won't get it, but you can't claim to have some moral right to keep your team and then try and steal someone else's team.

I totally agree. It takes the luster off (OK, it makes him look like a hypocritical weasel) of any grandstanding Schumer might do to retain the Bills in WNY.

I've made it to a few Pirates games this season and am a little shocked at the number of Pirates fans that make the 100+ mile drive to watch the game. There were more Pirates fans in Lowell at each game than there were Rats fans at the much less than capacity crowd Phantoms-Rats game I saw in Glens Falls on New Years' Eve. Note the distance between Glens Falls and Albany is half the distance between Portland and Lowell.

If you have to ask the question, you probably won't get it, but you can't claim to have some moral right to keep your team and then try and steal someone else's team.

Is it really the same thing though with the way minor league teams shuffle all over the place constantly?

Is it really the same thing though with the way minor league teams shuffle all over the place constantly?

This is kinda why I asked the question.

I understand what tom's saying, but Schumer's platform has been to help the teams (well, at least the Bills) in WNY so that they don't have to move. If he's really trying to convince Portland to move to Albany to help boost the area, I don't see the problem. I know Albany isn't Western NY, but it's still NY.

Well said! :)

There are Portland fans who love their team just as much as Sabre fans love theirs. I don't want to see any fans lose their team.

This is not terribly relevant, but I'll say it anyway: Portland is about a million times nicer than Albany.

Also: 9 wins in a row? Pretty strong! Does anyone know who's been leading the way? Other than seeing Mancari and Ennis as the scoring leaders, I have no idea. For example, who are the top 2 defensemen? How is Enroth doing?

Archived