"Official" Portland Pirates Thread

LabattBlue

I thought that Gogulla got named to the German Olympic team, but I just noticed that he is dressed for Portland? :blink:

Here, maybe these will help:

Germany

NHL players on roster: 7

Roster update: Buffalo Sabres prospect Phillip Gogulla was originally named to Germany's roster but was been replaced by Jochen Hecht.

http://www.rototimes.com/article/2010/2/Olympic-Hockey-Preview-1

The German Ice Hockey Association announced its final roster. Compared to the preliminary roster announced in December, defenceman Jason Holland has been replaced by Sven Butenschön, and forwards Alexander Barta and Philip Gogulla have been replaced by Jochen Hecht and Kai Hospelt.

=3499&cHash=e3659e7c10"]http://www.iihf.com/

How is Weber playing?

Can't say I noticed him much. I missed most of the 1st and the first 5 minutes of the 3rd. Nice effort to come back from 1 goal down in the 3rd to win 4-3. How's that taste Donner?

Two goals for Gogulla and 3 assists for Brennan.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1006885

Can't say I noticed him much. I missed most of the 1st and the first 5 minutes of the 3rd. Nice effort to come back from 1 goal down in the 3rd to win 4-3. How's that taste Donner?

Two goals for Gogulla and 3 assists for Brennan.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1006885

The +18 is catches the eye with Weber. Would like to get a sense on the kids physical game. If anyone out there that watches the Pirates on a regular basis could comment it would be greatly appreciated. Looking ahead to 2010-11 it would great to get a idea if Weber will be joining Myers and Butler on the blue-line.

Civic Center Trustees hold lengthy meeting to discuss future

Published on: 24th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

The Civic Center Board of Trustees held their monthly board meeting, but were in executive session for nearly two hours discussing various issues regarding lease negotiations with the Portland Pirates. Neal Pratt, Chair of the Civic Center Trustees addressed the media after the conculsion of the meeting.

Here’s a transcript of those discussions.

I also had a one-on-one interview with Pratt yesterday before I knew about this morning's meeting so here's that interview as well. I hope to chat with Petrovek in the next couple of days.

Link>>>

Pirates falter against the River Rats

Published on: 27th February, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Mistakes proved to be costly for the Portland Pirates.

As a result, the Pirates fell to the Albany River Rats, 4-2, in front of 4,597 at the Cumberland County Civic Center, losing back-to-back games in regulation for the first time since early in the season.

Link>>>>

Is it really the same thing though with the way minor league teams shuffle all over the place constantly?

True. Last night we went to the Lake Erie Monsters game and while we were there, the wife picked up tickets for the Monsters' regular-season finale. The wife says "they're playing the Abbotsford Heat." Me: "Who the :censored: are the Abbotsford Heat?"

True. Last night we went to the Lake Erie Monsters game and while we were there, the wife picked up tickets for the Monsters' regular-season finale. The wife says "they're playing the Abbotsford Heat." Me: "Who the :censored: are the Abbotsford Heat?"

For that matter, who the hell are the Lake Erie Monsters?

For that matter, who the hell are the Lake Erie Monsters?

Good point. The LEM are Colorado's AHL team, owned by Dan Gilbert (who also owns the Cavs). The franchise is the old Utah/Denver Grizzlies from the IHL/AHL. EDIT: FWIW, they are playing tonight on the NHL Network at 730. Nice warmup to the bronze medal game.

The Abbotsford team, though - check out their history (which really reinforces shrader's point):

Franchise history

1987 to 1993 Utica Devils (Utica, NY)

1993 to 2003 Saint John Flames (St. John, New Brunswick)

2005 to 2007 Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights (Omaha, Nebraska)

2007 to 2009 Quad City Flames (Moline, Illinois)

2009 to Present Abbotsford Heat (Abbotsford, B.C.)

Pirates finish strong against the River Rats

Published on: 1st March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Derek Whitmore scored a pair of goals including the game winner as the Portland Pirates defeated the Albany River Rats, 4-2, in front of 4,507 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Sunday afternoon.

Link>>>

Pirates finish strong against the River Rats

Published on: 1st March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Link>>>

Wildcat...you really need to put info like this into your posts instead of hoping that someone clicks on the link to your website to find relevant information.

With the game nearing an end, it was marred by a crosscheck from Albany’s Jay Harrison to the face of AHL leading rookie Tyler Ennis, leaving him visibly shaken.

After the game, both teams came together at center ice for a meeting of the minds including Pirates’ head coach Kevin Dineen, who need to be pulled back by assistant coach Eric Weinrich. A pair of fights did occur, which resulted in the ejection of Matt Generous and Travis Turnbull for Portland and Mike Angelidis and Brad Herauf for Albany.

“He’s got a concussion,” said Dineen. “He’s seriously hurt. You could see it when he got up, and it’s mind-boggling that a guy would only get two minutes in that situation.”

“It was a lack of a respect for a player… You’d like to think that the league wants to protect average player, let alone one of its top rookies. It was really an unnecessary play and really unfortunate that a really well played game had to end that way.”

It remains to be seen if suspension will be handed down, but the league will certainly be looking at tapes of the incident.

Wildcat...you really need to put info like this into your posts instead of hoping that someone clicks on the link to your website to find relevant information.

With the game nearing an end, it was marred by a crosscheck from Albany’s Jay Harrison to the face of AHL leading rookie Tyler Ennis, leaving him visibly shaken.

After the game, both teams came together at center ice for a meeting of the minds including Pirates’ head coach Kevin Dineen, who need to be pulled back by assistant coach Eric Weinrich. A pair of fights did occur, which resulted in the ejection of Matt Generous and Travis Turnbull for Portland and Mike Angelidis and Brad Herauf for Albany.

“He’s got a concussion,” said Dineen. “He’s seriously hurt. You could see it when he got up, and it’s mind-boggling that a guy would only get two minutes in that situation.”

“It was a lack of a respect for a player… You’d like to think that the league wants to protect average player, let alone one of its top rookies. It was really an unnecessary play and really unfortunate that a really well played game had to end that way.”

It remains to be seen if suspension will be handed down, but the league will certainly be looking at tapes of the incident.

Great. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

A pair of fights did occur, which resulted in the ejection of Matt Generous and Travis Turnbull for Portland

Remember, as everyone's favorite hit and run, part time poster implied, all of the college kids are soft and have no idea how to be physical.

Remember, as everyone's favorite hit and run, part time poster implied, all of the college kids are soft and have no idea how to be physical.

But we need to ban fighting from the game anyway so it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Archived