"Official" Portland Pirates Thread

LabattBlue

Portland wins 2-0. Enroth with the shutout. Schutz and Mancari with the goals.

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1006485

Enroth is playing lights out. I feel much better about him now than I did the beginning of the year when he couldn't stop a beach ball. The benching he took a month ago really got him focused.

Enroth is playing lights out. I feel much better about him now than I did the beginning of the year when he couldn't stop a beach ball. The benching he took a month ago really got him focused.

Between that benching and the one game stint up with the Sabres, Enroth really seems to have upped his game. The ability to learn and improve his abilities is a really good sign. With JP Lamoureux doing good and Connor Knapp backstopping the nation's #1 team in Miami (OH), seems like the long term future is pretty safe.

Between that benching and the one game stint up with the Sabres, Enroth really seems to have upped his game. The ability to learn and improve his abilities is a really good sign. With JP Lamoureux doing good and Connor Knapp backstopping the nation's #1 team in Miami (OH), seems like the long term future is pretty safe.

Knapp is splitting time with Cody Reichard. He's getting a little over a third of the starts, but Reichard is carrying the load. They're both sophomores and Reichard started the national championship game last year, so I think that shows where each goalie stands with the team.

If you want to talk college goalies, you have to start with Eidsness in North Dakota. He's an absolute work horse, but I can't shake the concerns that he got lit up each time I've seen him play a big game.

Portland wins 4-3. Ennis breaks out of slump with 2 goals, 2 assists and was a +3. Enroth got the night off.

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1006499

I have very high hopes for Ennis, and wouldn't be surprised if he starts the the season on our roster next year. BTW, Mancari also continued his torrid pace with 4 assists and a +3. Deep down inside, I can't shake this hope that he'll be able to elevate his game to the NHL level. His size, shot and scoring ability in the AHL fit the 2nd line power forward position we desperately need filled to a tee. Honestly, could he be any worse than Stafford at this point?

Yes! He may just be one of those players who reach their peak at the AHL level.

Yeah, I said it after the last callup: he chose the perfect number, 12. Big guy who doesn't use his body and booming shot, but not much else offensively. He's probably good in shootouts, too. ;)

Yes! He may just be one of those players who reach their peak at the AHL level.

Which one, Stafford or Mancari? ;) Seeing the way Drew wanders around the ice aimlessly makes me want to upchuck.

Seriously, I fully realize that Mancari may never make the full jump to the NHL level, but I can still hold out hope...

Yeah, I said it after the last callup: he chose the perfect number, 12. Big guy who doesn't use his body and booming shot, but not much else offensively. He's probably good in shootouts, too. ;)

...plus he didn't do himself any favors by holding out during training camp. I'm sure that knocked him down a few more pegs in the eyes of the organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Portland wins 4-3 in a shootout. Ennis with 3 assists, Gerbe with 2 goals and Enroth in goal stopping 9 out of 10 shots in the shootout.

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1006574

Great to see the trio of Ennis, Gerbe and Enroth playing great hockey. FWIW, Mancari also added a goal and two assists in the win.

He is an exciting player to watch, extremely fast and finds open space quickly. I live in the Portland area and go to quite a few Pirates games and he is right up there with Gerbe. TJ Brennan is another up and comer to watch. The Sabres have some good young talent to watch....I think my 9 yr old is becoming a Sabres fan

You are teaching him well. Sabre nation welcomes your boy with open arms.

Portland won 2-1 on Saturday night. Enroth in goal got the win. Portland only had 14 shots on goal for the game. Taking the loss in goal was Ray Emery. :D

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1006614

Portland lost on Friday night 4-3...

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1006602

McKenna stymies the Pirates as Devils win

Published on: 13th January, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – TJ Brennan scored his first AHL goal, but it wasn’t enough as former Pirate Mike McKenna made 29 saves for the Lowell Devils en route to a 2-1 win over the Portland Pirates in front of 2,772 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Archived